Denise

Figuring Out What's Running

When I'm not working on the computer and have nothing open, sometimes it still goes crazy working on something by itself. (Oh, how I wish it would do housework!!) Anyway, I know there is an easy way to find out whta is running in the background, but I don't know what it is. Help anyone? In easy to understand steps for a computer hater who has to use them anyway? Thanks!

On a Windows machine press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC all at the same time. THis will open the Task Manager. Look at the Process tab and the Service tab if there is one.

These both list what is running on your computer. It may not be helpful though as the names can be cryptic.

If you're worried about viruses and/or malware you're probably better off just scanning your machine with Spybot Search and Destroy or something similar rather than trying to figure out what all is running on your computer.

If you're worried about resource hogs then you want to check what starts on your computer automatically at boot up. Then it may depend on what operating system you're using as to how best to go about checking that.

As mentioned you can see the processes running in the task manager.

For windows based os you can stop things from starting up:

click Start then Run then type msconfig hit enter, then click the startup tab. Stuff you don't want running just uncheck. click ok. yes to restart the computer, when it starts back up a pop-up window will open. Click the box that says don't show this on startup (bottom left as I recall. and voila.

It doesn't remove anything from your computer, just stops it from running just because you started windows. Be mindful not to shut your AV or firewall if you have one etc. If you don't know what something is, google it. If you shut something you need later, same steps, but then just add a check instead of removing it.

Kevin

Jack,

Wow. I checked that out and it had almost as much stuff going on at one time as my brain does... Not good. But you're right, I don't know what it means, and I don't think I want to know... I have recently run my antivirus, so I don't think that is it.

Kevin,

Thanks for that too. What all do I need to have running when I start up? I have the audio manager and adobe starting up right away. I can uncheck them and they will still start if I want to use those programs, correct? I also have three Intel® Common User Interfaces that start up. What are these and can I uncheck them without negative repercussions?

Edited to add: OK, I googled it. More confused than I started... Some say OK remove, others say don't. Some try to explain what it is. That really sets my brain off course...

Thanks very much for your help. I am copying and pasting your answers into my personal "How do I deal with this stupidcomputer?" instructions file...

More confused than I started... Some say OK remove, others say don't. Some try to explain what it is. That really sets my brain off course...

Denise ... My son is providing a remote assistance service. PC Help He has put a lot of sweat equity into building his business and has added this service to help provide the income that sweat equity doesn't provide. No fixed hourly rate, you contribute what you think is fair.

Regards,

CTG

Hi Denise,

Newer operating systems have indexes to just about everything that they maintain during idle time. Norton and McAfee are always doing idle time scans etc. Windows Update will download and sometimes install patches at startup, most times interfering with more desired processes like your browser that on startup is going to all the websites you have open. So, if it seems like your computer is doing a lot and you are doing nothing, it is and you are.

Years ago, Mickey (Microsoft) provided it's own version of Antivirus and Anti spy/malware software with the Windows operating system. They got their asses sued off by Norton and McAfee and they could not provide the antivirus bundled with their systems, they could provide the anti spy/malware product called Windows Defender bundled in with Windows for free. They were forbidden bundling antivirus with Windows so they don't. What they were not forbidding from doing was providing the antivirus service (with updates online) for free. The product is Microsoft Security Essentials, which you can download and update for free. Security Essentials is a comprehensive package that does everything Defender does plus other things like antivirus. When you install Security Essentials, it turns off Defender as it is not necessary at that point, however do not uninstall Defender, just leave it turned off.

Art

Denise, I too had that problem. I've used every anti-virus out there. Ended up with Viper. Excellent anti-virus. As far as the constant running we downloaded AdBlock Plus. My running problems ended after this was installed and I'm not barraged with advertisements.

Thanks everyone for your help. It is appreciated!