well I found a great deal on a adler 30-70 just cant find any info on them this a newer machine full power what is the thickest leather I can sew with it what size thread and size needles and what is a good price please help I want to make sure Im buying a good leather machine

Practically, I found 5/16" to be about the thickest leather or other compressed material it can feed and still deliver a decent stitch length. They can tension #138 thread with ease, but nothing larger. Because it uses the same "large" bobbin as the Singer 29k series, it can only hold enough #138 thread to sew 4 or 5 average belts along the edges. The needle system is an extra long 332LG, which is specific to this machine. Schmetz needles work best in the 30-70 and they are not cheap.

Assuming it works normally and no parts are missing, anything under $1200 is a good price for the machine mounted on a pedestal table with a clutch motor. Missing Adler parts are often very expensive.

well I baught the adler 30-70 the guy was using size 23 neddles and 207 size thread it sews great is there anyone that has bobins and paperwork for this machine and also is there anybody that has the little rod to feed thread down the tube

You can buy bobbins from any industrial sewing machine dealer who sells parts and accessories. Ask for "large" patcher bobbins. Most dealers also stock the threading rods. I buy my bobbins, thread and threading rods from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.

You should also buy an extra bobbin case, complete with two springs and a center post with the thread hole on top.

why do they wear out easy

I guess you will find out if you get busy sewing. Just a recommendation from somebody who used the same machine in a major business setting. These bobbins run out fast. Having two or three preloaded bobbins inside properly tensioned bobbin cases will let you get more sewing done before you have to unload and wind another bobbin.

Hi Novaroper,

there are not much "paperwork" around for these class 30`s. Is it the new "square" head Gray color machine, or the old green "round" head ? I have something for the new machine, for the old I have only the part-list. The new Adler class 30 is made on license by SL special sewing machine Germany http://www.sl-spezial.de/sl/index.php/shoe-repair.html , Perhaps they have some more info. Otherwise in the blog of Thomas Brinkhoff (Head of spare-parts DA) http://sew24.blogspot.no/p/downloads.html you will find the manual and part list here. Be patient and let the download finish, it takes time to download.

If you have the old machine I have the part-list, just PM your email address and I will send it to you. The rest of what I have you will find in the links above. You can also use (user) manuals on the Singer 29K- 72 or the ones for the Singer 29U171A_172A_173A (the file format of the 29U machine in the Singers web site). The last one is a very good operator and service manual and very similar to the Adler class 30. (The machine is not made to sew as heavy as tex 207 thread, on a test piece with lighter bobbin thread; maybe. In real time repair sewing..... you will have stitch errors. Not that many before you are out of bobbin thread, that is :spoton: )

Good luck

Tor

Its a top feed shoe repair machine with limited bobbin thread, that will mark up your weg tan leather. Nevertheless, a must in every leather workshop for all job`s other machine will not do. This is the heaviest subclass, max stitch length (new) 5 mm. Foot lift 12 mm., needle Nm 110-200, thread TKT 40/3-15/3 (max tex 180). These are the factory spec on the new class 30-70 (long arm big bobbin). with 12 mm. foot lift you will be able to sew up to about 8-9 mm. thickness.

A very fine patcher it is.

Thanks

Tor

Edited by Trox

hey there, I happened to find this post via a Google query as I am trying to find any info on how to adjust the stitch length of my Adler 30-70.

I bought the machine last year for $500, came with the Sutton pedestal base.  I've had it sitting all this time and just got it running quite smoothly once I cleaned and oiled her up good.

however, the stitch length seems Very short to me and I haven't found any adjustment procedure yet.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Jerr

51 minutes ago, Gerald Whitehurst said:

hey there, I happened to find this post via a Google query as I am trying to find any info on how to adjust the stitch length of my Adler 30-70.

I bought the machine last year for $500, came with the Sutton pedestal base.  I've had it sitting all this time and just got it running quite smoothly once I cleaned and oiled her up good.

however, the stitch length seems Very short to me and I haven't found any adjustment procedure yet.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Jerr

@Gerald WhitehurstJust above the foot is the stitch length adjuster,loosen the screw & slide it down for a longer stitch.

Edited by CowboyBob

thanks for the info, I'll give that a try!