Every once in a while someone wants a tooled belt and they want it black. I've looked at black antique and it doesn't "float my boat", I guess the tooling can be seen if you look close which, I guess, makes it subtle. I'm more use to antiqued browns, tans, etc. Oh well, anyway here is a belt I put out today in black. Hadn't done this design in a long time.

Chief

post-6362-0-02159800-1402672778_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-95423600-1402672794_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-03246100-1402672798_thumb.jp

Nice work , but im with you on the black , i much rather brown

I like it. The only thing I've heard about tooled black belts.. some people think they look like cop belts. To which I would reply. "so?"

I like the tooling and think it stands out just fine. yeah more subtle but subtle is good.

Love the tooling you made there, that is a great belt even if it's a more subtle beauty.

You could throw in some contrast stitching to make it pop, but I would buy it just as is!

Still looks great Chief! Even if it is black!

That's an ingenious use of the basket weave tool. Skeet

I like black and tan together but all black is also on my "meh" list. Although I know I should have a black belt just for occasions I need to be dressier than brown - does it matter any more? At any rate, I don;t have any black shoes so a black belt wouldn't help me much.

But if I had to have a black belt, that one you made up there is pretty darned nice! And if that's what the customer wanted I;d say you nailed it.

Very nicely done belt. Thanks for sharing it with us.....I agree about black

Dave

I really like your basket weave stamping pattern. That is pretty slick.

I think subtle is a good thing for certain occasions, so I don't mind tooled Black.

Thanks everyone, can't take credit for the Basket Weave "Trick", I don't remember where, but sometime in my past I saw this pattern in a book or magazine, and started doing it on belts.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Chief

Nice belt Chief.

I too have a liking for the black "police" look when it comes to belts. I sell heaps of them. I do all sizes and have a machine that I can change the dies in to make my life easy.

Here is a picture of the 1 1/2 inch belt which is lined and fully Basket weaved.

Cheers Trevor.

Way Down Under

post-2565-0-58308600-1402697335_thumb.jp

On Tandy leather craft library videos on belt making they do teach that pattern, I think you did a great job on it. They mention the main difference between dress and casual belts is color and finish. Black does make a nice dress belt if that's what you want. Yours is a great looking black belt.

That's a nice looking belt, Chief! I once tried grey on black, and that worked about as miserably as black on black. But I still like black belts, even if you have to look closely to see the tooling. It gives it a quality texture. Nice pattern! It looks a little like a dinosaur backbone or something.