Blacksmith Andrew

Good Leather Crafting Books

I am looking for some good books on leather working. I make mostly sheaths for my knives and tomahawks. I want to learn to make sheaths with inlays and such like on this site, http://www.rowesleather.com/ks_products.htm

Thanks for any references.

-Andrew

You can't go wrong with any books written by Al Stohlman, and he's got books for just about any type leather work you can imagine.

The Stohlman books are good, and show a lot of different techniques. There are several Tandy Leather stores in Texas, find the closest one to you, and run on over there. They have many books that they sell, and I would suggest cruising through some to see which ones have the info that you are looking for. Lots of pictures help, as some books are vague in their text only descriptions.

With that being said, a lot of leather working is by feel. Tandy also offers classes that you may also want to look into. The forums here are also a great resource to learn from. There is also an oft forgotten resource for printed material. They are called libraries. Yes, the same ones from our predigital age youth. They have huge collections of books in them, and get this-they let you borrow them for a period of time for FREE. How cool is that?

Thaks for the help. There is a Tandy Leather place about 45 minutes from here in Mesquite, outside of Dallas. I'll head there one day and find me some good books. I will try out the library too.

-Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Here are a couple of instructional DVDs that i have found useful.

"Making Custom Knife Cases & Sheaths with George Hurst" you can find this one at HideCrafter try here

and "Custom Knife Sheaths with Chuck Burrows" Mr. Burrows shows how to do a wonderful snake skin inlay. you can buy the DVD at Wild Rose Trading Co. here

Also you may like to check Al Stohlman's book "The Art of Making Leather Cases Vol. 1" it gives instruction for several different sheaths. Tandy has this book on sale right now here

good luck,

ken

Edited by mendedbowl