This was a quick piece that I made last week, my mom asked me to make a Scripture cover for my Borther-in-law's birthday. I had made a similar one in black for my nephew's baptism. They are practicing LDS (Mormon) so the cover had to fit the specific set of Scriptures he carries. Their Scripture set is made up of 4 books and can be found in 1, 2 & 3 volume sets. Fortunately my BIL carries the single 1 book collection so I only needed to make one cover. The CTR shield is general LDS symbology and stands for "Choose the Right", his initials are below.

He asked for brown instead of black and knowing his personality knew he'd enjoy something with a distressed, aged look versus something that looked brand spanking new. To get the color variation effect, I started with Fiebings Dye Prep next was Light Brown spirit dye applied with a dauber and then followed it up the next day with Dark Brown Pro Oil dye hand rubbed with wool scrap. My normal 4 part finishing process topped it off.

Enjoy!

Chris

ctr_quad_cover.jpg

ctr_quad_cover_side.jpg

Edited by Spinner

Very Nice, Did you put a liner it? And if you don't mind what is your 4 step finish process. I like it very much.

Edited by capsterdog

Nice work Spinner!

Very Nice, Did you put a liner it? And if you don't mind what is your 4 step finish process. I like it very much.

Thanks, i thought about a liner but seeing as how the quad is likely never to come out of it there wasn't a real need. I did slick the inside down and dye & seal it though. My normal process is the one I use on motorcycle gear to make it seriously weather resistant. Here goes:

• 2 decent coats of neatsfoot oil, dry overnight
  • Spray 1 coat of resolene (50/50 cut with water) let tack up for 1-2 hours, buff residue and spray second coat of same mix. dry overnight
  • Apply generous coat of Fiebing motorcycle leather conditioner, buff until oily feel is gone and leather is pliable again
  • With the leather still warmed by the buffing/room temp, apply and rub in a good coat of Fiebing Weatherproof Motorcycle Leather Dressing (natural or black depending on the dye color). Let it soak in for a bit and then buff.

After lacing/stitching, I'll apply a second coat of the leather dressing over the whole thing including the new lacing. I also use the dressing to lubricate the lace during lacing.

Nice work Spinner!

Thanks Sam!

What beautiful, clean lettering! I wish I could get my straight lines as crisp...