mellykelly

Newbie From Aussie Re Tack

I'm very new at leatherwork and out of necessity need to make my own miniature pony halters as they are too difficult to find. This might be a stupid question but can someone please tell me how I am supposed to treat the underside of the leather to take that suadey feel out of it. Also would hand stitching be okay or do I need a machine? If so what sort ie walking foot v any other? Sorry to appear dumb but there are very few resources re this in australia.

Melly. What type of leather are you using ? Ideally you need to be using bridle leather but you could use heavy weight embossing leather at a push for mini halters. To get rid of the suede feel from the underside ( this side of the leather is called the flesh side and the smooth finished side is called the grain side ) you double over the leather so that the grain side is visible from both sides. As an example, if say the cheek piece finished length is 7" then you cut the strap 16" (double the 7" and add 2" for a turn back ). You now have the grain side visible from both sides and the flesh side is sandwiched in the middle and thus unseen. The head strap can have a lining if you desire to cover up the flesh. The nose band can be the same or can be made like explained for the cheek and would therefore be non adjustable. Have a sticky beak in any saddlery store that stocks more than webbing halters. Bonnets or horse land should stock leather halters. Also go to Adelaide leather in Waymouth street for supplies. Hand stitching would be absolutely fine.

Cheers.

Barra

Hi Barra

Thanks for your reply. I am using veg tan leather and I am doubling it over like you said. I have also found adelaide leather supplies (where I have spent a fortune). I also go to DS Horne for leather. I have improved a lot in technique but my hand stitching is crap so I am now using a 90+ yo singer treadle which is doing the job (sorta) that I picked up at an auction. I'm quite addicted to leatherwork now and would love to learn the tricks of the trade from a professional but can't find anyone here. No one teaches it anymore I have found. I am also having difficulty finding quality tools. The Tandy stuff is okay to learn with but quite inferior I have found. Any suggestions there? Thanks so much for your response. Good to hear from someone in adelaide :-)

Melanie

For tools and all leather supplies do a run over to lefflers in Melbourne and look out for Dixon or Osborne tools. eBay can be a good source.

For hand stitching the are some good tutorials here or you can find some good sources on YouTube etc.

I,m actually in Wagga Wagga but Adelaide is home town.

Cheers

Barra

Thanks for that. I have just found lefflers:-)). Didn't know about them. I think my stitching issues are tools mostly and technique somewhat. Technically I can do it and have watched numerous you tube videos but I really need a decent pricking thingo to get the holes uniform especially with two layers of leather. Very frustrating!

Yes get hold of a good quality pricking iron. 8 to the inch will be a good size if your doing mainly mini items. These are at first glance an expensive tool but will last a lifetime.

Also get a decent awl blade. The handle can be a cheaply or home made from any wood that fits your hand. If home made then protect the blade in a vice and gently tap the haft onto the blade to a depth so that it is secure. At a push a piece of broom stick would even do.

With the awl, get some scrap leather and push the awl through until the blade makes a perfect parallelogram shape. When you have achieved this, get a nail file or something to scratch or mark the awl haft at the very top. When stitching if you keep the scratch mark at the very top then you maintain the perfect parallelogram shape with the blade at every stitch.

Don't forget to throw he thread over the needle on the left side.

Cheers.

Barra