JWGlover

1911 Tex Shoemaker Holster

I made this one for myself. I copied it from a Tex Shoemaker model for a P95 that my dad had. I really like this style of holster, I just wish I had thought of it first. Let me know what yall think.

post-14144-008744500 1283207938_thumb.jp

post-14144-026924200 1283207980_thumb.jp

post-14144-075935100 1283208005_thumb.jp

post-14144-017019000 1283208029_thumb.jp

I made this one for myself. I copied it from a Tex Shoemaker model for a P95 that my dad had. I really like this style of holster, I just wish I had thought of it first. Let me know what yall think.

Looks nice but I cannot see it very well, photos are too small :)

ferg

Modern technology has got the best of me, let me try this again.

post-14144-004033700 1283217575_thumb.jp

post-14144-013947400 1283217578_thumb.jp

post-14144-095578500 1283217601_thumb.jp

post-14144-090000500 1283217630_thumb.jp

Looks real nice, kind of has an old school feel to it, but in a good way. Does the design carry well, is it comfortable?...... Jeff

Looks real nice, kind of has an old school feel to it, but in a good way. Does the design carry well, is it comfortable?...... Jeff

Don't know, ain't had the chance to wear it yet.

Nice looking holster! What did you use for a dye?

Nice looking holster! What did you use for a dye?

I used two coats of neatsfoot and some brown edge coat.

It appears very well done. I really like the looks of that style as well. I do believe I'd prefer a belt loop sewn onto the back as opposed to the loops cut into the back, but that's purely a personal preference.

For what it's worth, I carried my duty weapon in a couple of different Tex Shoemaker rigs back in the late 60's and early 70's. They were well made rigs and rode well. I may even have one around somewhere that I carried a Smith M-39 in for quite a while. A different design than yours but comfortable to carry and held up well. Mike

That is a very fine looking holster.

Mr. Glover, or anyone else, I have a question about the holster in your avatar. What is the best way to attach the belt, strap, or whatever you call the piece that encircles the holster? Thanks, Greg

That is a very fine looking holster.

Mr. Glover, or anyone else, I have a question about the holster in your avatar. What is the best way to attach the belt, strap, or whatever you call the piece that encircles the holster? Thanks, Greg

I hand stitch it and then insert the holster through the loop.

It looks like it would get in the way of it's self when sewing it. Thanks for the quick response.

It looks like it would get in the way of it's self when sewing it. Thanks for the quick response.

I wasn't real clear before but it is stitched to the skirt while the holster is opened up and then the holster is folded and inserted into the loop

I thought I understood you correctly on that point. It still appears to me that you are sewing on the inside of the loop the girdle makes. I guess I'll just have to try it and figure it out as I go. I appreciate your help, and really admire your work. Thanks againd, Greg

I'll bet you're using an awl. I'm accustomed to double stitching with two needles. I have an awl. Might have to drag it out and figure out how to use it.

I thought I understood you correctly on that point. It still appears to me that you are sewing on the inside of the loop the girdle makes. I guess I'll just have to try it and figure it out as I go. I appreciate your help, and really admire your work. Thanks againd, Greg

it makes it easier if you cut your needles in half and pull em through with some needle nose pliers

"it makes it easier if you cut your needles in half and pull em through with some needle nose pliers "

There's what I was looking for. Thanks. I'd have never thought of that.

"it makes it easier if you cut your needles in half and pull em through with some needle nose pliers "

There's what I was looking for. Thanks. I'd have never thought of that.

glad I could help

Thanks again for your help, JWGlover. I really admire your work, as well as the styles you choose. Here's my attempt at a similar style. I like it.

IMG_1238.jpg

Thanks again for your help, JWGlover. I really admire your work, as well as the styles you choose. Here's my attempt at a similar style. I like it.

IMG_1238.jpg

Your welcome. I like this one too, it's kind of got a modernized old west look. It's also good to see another lefty.

sweet!    :specool: