Im looking to get in to shoe making...been reading endlessly on it. Stitched some moccasins...but want to try my hand at some real lasted shoes. Problem is...lasts are impossible to find! The only ones i've been able to find are only available in full runs. I really only need one pair..8D. If they had suitable toe spring to allow for a short heel that'd be fantastic. Anyone? any ideas? It's hard to get started in shoe making when 'the last comes first' but youre without a last. Thanks folks!

Aaron

You can buy just one last/time from Jones and Vining Last in AR.

(870)886.6621

Be careful what you wish for, though. If you want an 8D shoe you will not like the results from an 8D last.

Read up more on this subject @ THEHCC.ORG. Best site around for shoe and boot info.

Good luck.

Aaron,

You are taking the never ending path of bespoke shoemaking. Good Luck. +1 to Kayak's recommendation for J&V. You need to get their catalog and then measure your foot. You will need your measurements to match up to the J&V catalog. For instance, I wear a 11 1/2 D or E shoe, the J&V last for my foot is a 12C. Having a good set of measurements will allow you to pick the last that fits your foot closest a little under in some measurements or (hopefully) exactly, you can build up the last for any anomalies.

Lisa Sorrell did a bunch of boot making videos on YouTube, one of them was about measuring the foot.

Art

Im looking to get in to shoe making...been reading endlessly on it. Stitched some moccasins...but want to try my hand at some real lasted shoes. Problem is...lasts are impossible to find! The only ones i've been able to find are only available in full runs. I really only need one pair..8D. If they had suitable toe spring to allow for a short heel that'd be fantastic. Anyone? any ideas? It's hard to get started in shoe making when 'the last comes first' but youre without a last. Thanks folks!

Aaron

Hi guys,

You perhaps will laugh, but for SOFTSOLE mocs I got that Chinese piece of.... cake :) and it surprizingly works. It is adjustable and made frm wood so you can pin pieces to it (not sure about pegs though).

Guessing it won't work for hardsoles , but I'm going to give it a try soon :)

oops! I double posted. Sorry.

Edited by Sylvia

Aaron

I saw some lasts on http://www.webstore.com

Search for "shoe form" "Shoe sales man sample" and Shoe last. They were listed strangely but people who don't do leather.

Here's one for $5, $6 to ship, size 11.5 D

http://www.webstore.com/SHOE-LAST-1930S-COBBLERS-FORM-FOR-LEATHER-TO-MAKE-SHOES-,name,13634475,auction_id,auction_details

PS Webstore is a lot like Ebay... but sellers don't have to pay fees. :o)

Hi guys,

You perhaps will laugh, but for SOFTSOLE mocs I got that Chinese piece of.... cake :) and it surprizingly works. It is adjustable and made frm wood so you can pin pieces to it (not sure about pegs though).

Guessing it won't work for hardsoles , but I'm going to give it a try soon :)

LOL "Cake"

You did a great job on the brown mocs you posted btw.

This gal has some good singles.

Aaron

This gal has some good singles. http://www.shoedo.com/Frame-6-singlelastpairs4salepage6.html?refresh=1259630834992

Hi delormea397,

I'm in the same boat - endlessly fascinated by bespoke shoemaking and taking my first steps.

Just bought 4 pairs of wooden lasts yesterday from a woman on ebay that was kind enough to go through a stock of 50's Florsheim lasts she had for the sizes I wanted.

http://stores.ebay.com/Fragrant-Fields She has about 30 pairs in assorted sizes right now for $15.99/pair. They're wood instead of plastic, which is what I wanted to be able to more easily shape them to fit my own feet.

Have you come across the Carreducker blog yet? They're bespoke shoemakers in London who also teach a course - the blog is incredibly detailed and inspiring.

http://carreducker.blogspot.com/

Also the Laslo Vass book "Handmade Shoes for Men" is back in stock at Amazon for a ridiculously low $15.

As Kayak45 mentioned http://www.thehcc.org/ also has tons of info including digital downloads of some really intense shoe making technical books.

I'm having some trouble finding -any- last measuring chart, to find out exactly what my last size would be. I could call J&V and talk to them personally about it, but they'll charge me 50 bucks an hour for their time. There has to be a chart out there somewhere.

Obviously, each company will be different, but I don't have a preference to who I buy from, as long as I know that company is giving me the right size.

Anyone here have a link? I'm at my wit's end trying to track one down.

You are taking the never ending path of bespoke shoemaking. Good Luck. +1 to Kayak's recommendation for J&V. You need to get their catalog and then measure your foot. You will need your measurements to match up to the J&V catalog. For instance, I wear a 11 1/2 D or E shoe, the J&V last for my foot is a 12C. Having a good set of measurements will allow you to pick the last that fits your foot closest a little over in some measurements or (hopefully) exactly, you can build up or grind down the last for any anomalies, but not much.

Lisa Sorrell did a bunch of boot making videos on YouTube, one of them was about measuring the foot.

Art

shoe-last-shop.com shoe lst prize started from 50 ,- and 60 ,- euro based in finland deliverd in 4/6 working days