Rick5150

Sealing Leather

We have had a jacket style manufactured for us that features a red leather lining. It is two sided leather meaning that both sides are dyed and there are no linings to hide anything. The "back" of the leather is red, and serves as the interior of the jacket.

The problem is that it rubs off on customers shirts. I have solved this issue for future orders, as the leather will be treated at the tannery to prevent this, but I have a couple of very expensive jackets here that I would like to treat. I expect there is a sealant that can be used, but I have never used one before.

The leather is thin lambskin, and I know from experience that some dyes like Fiebings can go right through to the other side. Obviously, I do not want the sealant bleeding through and possibly staining the outer surface of the leather.

Can anyone offer any tips or advice about how to seal the leather, or what to use and how to use it? Thanks!

post-35801-0-31043300-1397304051_thumb.j

We have had a jacket style manufactured for us that features a red leather lining. It is two sided leather meaning that both sides are dyed and there are no linings to hide anything. The "back" of the leather is red, and serves as the interior of the jacket.<<<<snip>>>>

Can anyone offer any tips or advice about how to seal the leather, or what to use and how to use it? Thanks!

I have used the following product to protect naked (unfinished) leather. Perhaps this will work for you.

http://www.bee-natural.com/cgi-bin/web_store/web_store.cgi?product=hobby&category=yes&cart_id=9850660_28788

NATURAL LEATHER PROTECTOR

Natural Leather Protector waterproofs and protects your most color sensitive leather. Natural Leather Protector is made with the newest and most advanced formulas in scientific technology, offering you a waterproofing and stain resistance that doesn't affect the color or texture of deer hide.

Size Available:

16 oz Bottle $32.50

Bob Stelmack