Spinner

Printable Tracing Sheets

As promised, the minute the local Tandy got these in, I picked up a pack and brought them home to test. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/3503-00.aspx

My previous guess was correct and it's pretty much (and possibly the same stuff repackaged) as Graphix Computer Grapfix Film http://www.shopatron.com/products/category/527.0.1.1.20214.0.0.0.0

It comes in a pack of 6 sheets for $6.99 (Elite Club or Wholesale members) or $9.99 retail. Not cheap by any means, but it is definitely a time saver. I have a number of patterns I have either scanned or drawn directly with my computer and normally I'd have to print and either retrace or line the back with tape and even then it's only good for 1-2 uses or takes 20 minutes to an hour to transfer to tracing film. I don't know about other folks, but minimum charge in my shop is $25/hour.

The printable film has a smooth & a textured side, the textured side seems to hold the printing very well and no smearing on either an inkjet or laserjet and visibility is great. Here's a picture of a previous computer drawing I did of a popular patch and then resized it 50% and then printed onto the film.

post-10543-039389200 1318115346_thumb.jp

Long story short, if you're like me and have patterns on the computer already and want to quickly & easily transfer them to tracing film, this is a good product and the price is easily justified in time savings.

Prices on the six packs are about equal between Graphix & Tandy when you figure for shipping vs. going into a Tandy store but Graphix has more options in sizes, quantity and actually has their version split between inkjet & laserjet/copier so they may be a bit more optimized for each type of ink/toner.

Cheers,

Chris

It has been a while, but Hidecrafter's carried a 12 sheet pack (I think) for $9 bucks (give or take). I used to buy my sheets from them for quite some time. I am glad to hear that the Tandy sheets worked out......it is about time!

Good info guys, thanks.

Question though, have you tried it in an inkjet and laserjet printer? I know from previous art classes that not all vellums will hold onto toner/printer ink (smudge like crazy).

If it does, HIdecrafters version is the clear winner in price even with shipping.

I use a Brother Inkjet printer for my printing and scanning processes. It work out well and will not rub off.......I've tried it. I do not buy from my velum sheets from Hidecrafter's anymore. I use the the 50 sheet pack Helix product from OfficeMax now.

I load my patterns on a thumb-drive, take it to office depot and have them print as projector transparency. the stuff they use lasts forever and they can upsize,shrink it. Also, they do it all-I don't have to use my ink. I think it was $1.50 per sheet. I have not worn through one yet,and the ink does not smudge.

You do realize of course, you can buy the transparency material rather cheaply for either Laser or Ink Jet. You could print thousands of patterns from one laser toner cartridge, not as much from an Ink Jet cartridge. I bet it would cost you less than $1.50 per sheet.

BTW: There are probably a thousand pieces of software that will do the little "Gibs" Office Depot provides, quite a few are free.

ferg

I load my patterns on a thumb-drive, take it to office depot and have them print as projector transparency. the stuff they use lasts forever and they can upsize,shrink it. Also, they do it all-I don't have to use my ink. I think it was $1.50 per sheet. I have not worn through one yet,and the ink does not smudge.

i buy overhead projector paper--you can get it for copier/laser printers (cheapest) even with a bubblejet, print your design and run a copy onto the overhead transparancy. If you watch sales, you can get a box of 100 or so for under $15. It also seems to be a bit more durable than the vellum based stuff. Just be careful not to put the printed side down on your damp leather if you are transferring your design by tracing. I haven't yet experimented with using the printed side down to purposely transfer the toner, but it seems like it would work that way too (sort of like rubons)

I use a Brother Inkjet printer for my printing and scanning processes. It work out well and will not rub off.......I've tried it. I do not buy from my velum sheets from Hidecrafter's anymore. I use the the 50 sheet pack Helix product from OfficeMax now.

Do you have an Officemax part number for that?