Laurie

Hey There Y'all

Hi I'm Laurie. Typing on someone else's phone cause mine isn't very smart. I don't do alot of real computer time, so all of my time on y'all's website is while I'm on my not-smart phone. Yer website here is awesome, I am very impressed with the folks who have leatherwork time under their belt and give instruction to others who can use that kinda experience, much respect and thanks in advance for y'all's wisdom. I've been doing repairs & alterations on biker leathers since '93, my specailty is custom fittings and braiding, lacing, weaving multiple color leather into existing vests, chaps, coats, patched cuts, and such. I'm in Colorado at the moment but am on the road continually, tri-coastal. My machine at the time is a 1900 Singer, running sz 20 needle to do my lighter leathers. My heavy machine is a 1903 industrial Singer runnin a 6.8 amp 1/3 up motor.

Imnot an expert as alot of y'all here are. I just enjoy my little corner of the leatherworking world and am looking foward to talking to you all in time about leather sewing projects

Hi I'm Laurie. Typing on someone else's phone cause mine isn't very smart. I don't do alot of real computer time, so all of my time on y'all's website is while I'm on my not-smart phone. Yer website here is awesome, I am very impressed with the folks who have leatherwork time under their belt and give instruction to others who can use that kinda experience, much respect and thanks in advance for y'all's wisdom. I've been doing repairs & alterations on biker leathers since '93, my specailty is custom fittings and braiding, lacing, weaving multiple color leather into existing vests, chaps, coats, patched cuts, and such. I'm in Colorado at the moment but am on the road continually, tri-coastal. My machine at the time is a 1900 Singer, running sz 20 needle to do my lighter leathers. My heavy machine is a 1903 industrial Singer runnin a 6.8 amp 1/3 up motor.

Imnot an expert as alot of y'all here are. I just enjoy my little corner of the leatherworking world and am looking foward to talking to you all in time about leather sewing projects

Hi Laurie.....welcome aboard. I'm also in Colorado. Would love to see some pics of your work. Again, welcome to Leatherworker :welcome:

Welcome to the forum! Good to have you here.

HI LAURIE;;

Glad to have you here at LW.net with us.. biker things have a large following on this site...post photo's if you can ....love to see your work ....if you make it to texas stop by for coffee..

...Doc...

Welcome to the forum and greetings from Central Texas, USA!

Welcome aboard, great bunch of folks out here and lots of knowledge and talent.

Ken

:thumbsup: Hello Laurie,

Welcome to the board.

I redo alot of old Singers & they never seem to quit sewing.

Bob

Thanks for the welcomes.

I'm in Indian Hills CO, Leatherrookie. Near Denver.

Doc, yes I do get to Texas. Have good friends all over the state. I'll take ya up one that coffee on my next roadtrip, thank you.

Hi Bob. I found a 1900 Singer (may 24, made in Trenton if I recall from looking up its #s) for 30 bucks in a Denver pawn shop. Its been drilled out for a motor but didnt have one. I carried it for 2 months in my work van. One day, a couple said they have "an old wood & iron Singer desk" that didnt sell in a garage sale. I paid the lady 20 bucks, sight unseen, plus 5 bucks to deliver. She showed up with a treadle desk, January 4 1887, complete!! The wood could be refinished, the iron is immaculate. I have 1900 machine in it, built a belt out of about 12 oz oil tanned leather. the original round leather belt was week, but the staple is in the new belt. The machine has a bullet style bobbin case, my 1st. When the lady delivered the desk, she had a wood Mystery Box, its stamped with the patented date february 19, 1889! And in it, more bobbins for my machine! The box is in great condition, velvet lined, all hinges still perfect, and all the original parts are in it! Talk about lucking out, right? I'll get pictures up soon.

My other machines are in storage in Louisiana, will pick up this spring & post picts. My personal favorate is a real catch. When I aquired it, it had gold stickers that named it an Admiral. While I was cleaning it up, the Admiral name started wearing off, under was gold lettering ~ Brother. So i flipped it over, sure enough, all the iron are Brother parts. I pulled the motor off, and in goldleaf, not a sticker, is painted letters "Made In Occupied Japan" I could have cried when I realized what a rare machine I had just wiped the Admiral name half off of! I've since wrote to the Brother Co, but the reply was that they have no record of any take-overs but would like to see pictures and are interested in buying the machine. No way!!! I did alot of customizing on that one, being it has 4 feet, I made it into an easy carry machine for bringing to bike parties, tattoo shop events, ect. I put a huge hand wheel on it, a stronger Sears 1950's motor on her, rewired her with an oldy Singer fixed light..It kind of reminds me of a supped-up Ford Falcon, not real pretty but a tough little thing. :)

My only zig zag right now is this Montgomery Ward I was given. It uses diffent top drop-in cams to change stich patterns. Never have seen such before, and the lady couldnt find the cams for it, bit its pretty neat. The motor & belt are incased. Im looking for those cams with no luck in 3 years. But its strong, Ive used it to do a full set of Colors on a friend's leather cut, it sewed over seams with ease, useing upholsters UV thread, I was impressed. With an 18 sz needle. (I'm running sz 20 in my 1900, with great results. I have to hand crank over seems to keep stitch with correct, but way worth it)

Ive been a bit busy in last few weeks with a friend's home that burn down in a big fire out here (luck, my 1900 was in my van!) that I was restoring & occupying before the fire, but I will get picts of some of my work & the machines up soon. This site is just great, looking foward to getting down to business here - checking out ya'lls styles and all the informative stuff here, talkin to ya'll.

Oh, if anybody knows of an old, beat up, non-running restorable boot machine (sleeve/pocket machine) that I could pick up, Id appreciate any leeds. I'm on a real low budget right now (fixing to get a major neck operation & am totally not allowed to work construction at all as of this week. Even have to figure out how to raise my sewing machine, cant look down for the damned neck brace they just put me in, grrr. not sniveling, just explaining) I will have to figure shipping cost into my machine budget, so the more battered the better...Thanks ya'll & ride hard, be safe ~ be it bike, horse or cage :)

appologies for the spelling guess its pretty clear that that isnt my strong point!!!

HI,Laurie;;

grettings again

Realy great to have you with us ....many sewing people and bicker things makers around here..we also speak TEXAN once in awhile ....

welcome to you ....Doc...

Edited by terrahyd

Hey there y'all. been away awhile taking care of business and all. missed the site!

bought this really cool little '52 Singer portable that i'll get picts of up another time. immaculate, she's a beaut. i messed up like crazy, i looked it up on e-bay to show the lady who had it what it might be worth, and then decided to buy. too bad for me a current bid i showed the lady was way higher than any bid i've seen the same machine go for since! oh well, i like hell outta this little thing. not quite heavy leather quality at all, but it will do on the road for light leather and jean repair and such.

i shut down my leather repair shop up here, i'm setting my paint van up as a portable full repair/alteration shop for when i get back on the road this spring. fixing to make the van easy to dump out the machines, set up and work with minimal electric, at friend's events and such. should be a great summer! i'm half tempted to head back to TX right now as cold as i think it is up here! ...seriously thought that snow, big snow, would be a blast after all these years back down south.

:censored2: ...i changed my mind,

y'all stay warm and safe ok? be back again eventualy.