Just finished up a wallet for my brother. First time mixing leather and lining/material. I have to say that my new blanchard pricking iron and lin cable thread make the job that much nicer. I ended up getting all the parts made up and cut to size, but I think I need a better way to mate the parts. It was fairly easy to punch with the pricking iron on the smooth parts, but getting up towards the top, it was difficult to get a straight punch with differing thicknesses. On the sides and at the bottom were just two layers of leather and several of really thin material. Do you think I should purposely oversize and cut to size once all stitched up?

Thanks,

Brent

post-5299-0-54032200-1409102186_thumb.jp

post-5299-0-26879300-1409102194_thumb.jp

post-5299-0-10802900-1409102202_thumb.jp

Pretty much the only way to get all the parts to line up and have a nice smooth consistent edge is to cut a little oversize and then trim the excess after it is stitched (or at least glued) together.

Looks pretty nice, and of course would ba a little nicer with the edges trimmed to match.

Tom

That looks really nice, Brent. Nice edges. What kind of leather is it?

Nice work. Looks great from here.

Did you glue the pieces together?

My stitching was ok until I got my Vergez Blanchard... best tool I have.

Nice work.

Leather used was horween chromexcel that I split thinly and lined. Stitching is so much easier using my new pricking iron. Finally got the right combination at 9spi and 632 thread. I did glue the edges and notched so it wasn't so bulky. Thanks, Brent

Oh... Tandy has their Pro Edge paint on sale in Sept. Made by Fenice in Italy.

I've been using it on Horween Orion and Essex.

A few coats, some light sanding with a fine grit and a little wax on some canvas to burnish and the edges will look real nice.