Newfman

Nose Band On Schutz Bros. Hackamore

Hey folks,

Have a question. We were given a Schutz Bros. Hackamore and it has required a little modification. Turns out, the previous owner had no luck getting it to fit his horse(s). At this point, all I need to do is replace the nose band. The noseband is rope, but is heavily waxed (or whatever that process is) like a lariat, ranch rope of calf rope. Can anyone tell me how I can replace the (too short) nose band? I think the rope is 7/16ths. I have an old calf rope that I thought about cutting and tying in but it is only 3/8ths diameter, not good. Am I going to need to buy a new larger diameter lariat and cut a piece off, or is there a method of using a length of rope and treating it? If I have to do that, how do you reccomend getting the knots tight?

It looks like it was tied on with a basic overhand knot and the ends were melted to prevent fraying. So, that means it was Nylon or Poly I would guess, leaning more towards nylon. I don't know if it was 'waxed' afterward though, or pre-waxed. Anyone make these things that can lend a suggestion. We are looking into a new hand braided Bosal and horse hair Mecate as well, so, it isn't the end of the world. It was given to us by a very nice older gent that my Wife really likes and she thought it would make him very happy to see it being used. Even though it has a few modifications.

Thanks for the help. Here are pictures....I hope.

</FONT>

Schutz Bros. Hackamore1.jpg

Schutz Bros. Hackamore 2.jpg

post-8584-126634944466_thumb.jpg

post-8584-126634945864_thumb.jpg

Hello,

From what I can see in the pictures there is nothing wrong with this. It appears to be a type of sidepull.

It is a type of bridle that is sort of a mixture of old and new equipment. The rope band is ment to put

pressure on the horses nose. (It is designed to be the lenght that it is.) At the same time it is designed to be a little easier to get the preferred results faster than what they can be achieved by using a hackmore in the traditional since.

As you can see there is no bit attached. It is used to start a young horse without getting in there

mouth. It is suppose to teach them to follow there nose. It sort of closely resembles a halter.

Thought process being that a bit would cause them to be distracted, and worried about the new piece of metal in there mouth.

The nose band is made that way, it is attached to the head stall thru the ring. The strap that is also attacked to the rings is used as a chin strap, as you would adjust on a regular bridle. The reins are

attached to the rings through the slobber straps. When pressure is placed on the reins through a pull it puts pressure on the horses nose. He in turn bends his head in the direction of the pull to get away from the pressure. With this type of set up the rider could put a constant pull on the rein. Where the Hackmore is to be used in a pull and release type of application.

Hope that helps

Good Luck

Kirk

I appreciate your input, but, while I am familiar with the head gear, the shortness of the noseband, puts the leather straps that hold the nose band (the cheek pieces of the headstall) in the corner of his eyes. I really would like to install a little longer nose band.

He is very soft, and regardless of the "how too' of a side pull, I am not one for pulling on my horses. I will be using light pull and release, the same as I do with the rope halter. He is a 4 year old RPSI Oldenburg Thoroughbred and that may account for the unusual fit. He will be going to a traditional Vaquero style Hackamore soon. This is more for the benefit of the nice old guy that sent us the gear, then anything else. He won't be seeing a bit for a couple years.

Edited by Newfman

I used to tie those side pulls out of rope when I used them and sold some too. I used nylon heel ropes. You can tie them in a simple overhand knot but it is a little bulky over the ring. There is a knot that is used on the end of lariat ropes that is similar to a overhand knot, but the rope is stranded out and each of the the three (or maybe 4 now) strands is treated individually and makes less of a knot on catch ropes and lays smoother over a ring. Melt the ends with a torch. When you strand out these tight lay ropes, you need to wrap tape at the places you want them to stop, because they can unravel a mile once you cut them.

So, do you mean to strand them out and then do just a basic overhand for each strand (3 or 4 strand) individually? Or was there a different knot if doing it that way. Sorry, i think I am missing it.

Oh, I think I got it. I just looked at my heading rope. Looks like they stopped the rope (with tape or tie) unstranded it, likely taping the ends of the strands as well to keep them from unraveling. Then it looks like they ran the three strands parallel to each other and tied an overhand. They then let the strands run wild and made somewhat of a tassle with them, but you could melt them as well. Is there some kind of wax or parrafin I could then melt on to the knot for longevity? The one that is on there is completely coated, but again, I don't know if that was done before or after, and with what.

Anyhow I think I got it now. I can see how that would be a smaller knot.

Looks like I need to get a rope. I guess if i got a 60' rope i can make it a 58' and nobody would notice, right? smile.gif

Thanks Bruce.