Sign in to follow this  
RunningRoan

Hello there! Retailer hoping to turn into leatherworker

Hi everyone! Been lurking for a while and figured I better start posting!

I am currently a retailer (selling horse tack and other western items) on my website (www.runningroantack.com) and I set up shop at many events also. I have always wanted to get into making my own stuff and the need has become even more apparent in recent years. Many of my customers are looking for unique and different strap goods...something I can't always supply if I'm buying from the same sources as my competition. I have lots of design ideas, just need to learn how to make them come to life. I have very little leatherworking experience, so I am here to learn!!

In trade for the leatherworking advice, I can provide input on web design, selling a trade shows and expos, etc.

Great to meet everyone and I'm looking forward to learning!

Heather

Edited by RunningRoan

In trade for the leatherworking advice, I can provide input on web design, selling a trade shows and expos, etc.

Great to meet everyone and I'm looking forward to learning!

Heather

Welcome Heather, there are lots of great folk here who will help you in any way they can - all you have to do is ask!

Best wishes, Ray

Welcome Heather,

I went to your website, GOOD JOB!! It is nice!! easy to navigate and interesting. I to have been lurking for a while and have just started to post. I am the opposite of you in the fact that I make all the tack and have not figured out how to sell on line yet. I work in a saddle shop in Wickenburg Az. and am getting my "feet wet" for retail sales.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Rick Jorgenson

7_2008_canteen_002.JPG

post-6575-1215840348_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. It is good to see someone getting into leather work out of a need. I have found that there are people out there willing to pay good money if they can just find what they want instead of settling for what they find on the shelf.

As far as "how to" get all the books you can. Go to your local Tandy / The Leather Factory store and pick up some of the Stolhman books. If you don't have a sewing machine then the book on hand sewing is a must. Also the 3 volume set of how to make leather cases. There is a lot of good infomation on making strap goods. Also the 3 volume set on saddle making. Again a lot of good information on making strap goods. I have an old patteren pack on making bridles and breast collars, not sure it's still available but you can look. The pattern pack on saddle bags is also a good deal. Buying books is an investment and are a constent sourse for knowledge and ideas. I have a shelf full of books that I use all the time.

Also pick up some of the ready made goods that you are currantly selling. Look at the construction and tell me you cannot figure out how they made it and then you can make it better, stronger and last way longer that the manufactuer does. Build your business on quality above all else. When you make it the best you can they will not come back for that piece again because it will last but will for everything else becasue they know you build it to last.

As specific questions here, post your work, we are not afraid to tell you what you done wrong and how to improve, that is what this forum is all about, knowledge.

Glad to have you abord.

Randy