tanda4

Is There A Thread Similar To Tiger Thread?

Booth and Company in peabody Mass has something very similar! Tell Ken I sent you!

-Andrew

awharness.com

Check out Maine Thread www.mainethread.com. I've been using their cord for a while, great selection of colors and sizes.

depends on the size of the wallet and what looks good to you. Try .020 and .030, .035 might work and .040 & .045 might be ok for knife sheaths or pouches of similar size or larger items. Ask for a thread sample. They will send a nice card with all of the sizes and colors FREE. This is very helpful.

I also use their thread.

Edited by retiredff

I have fiddled and diddled with American thread for ages it seems. I've never tried Maine Thread but I did notice that it is twisted, not braided. Huge difference! Why? Because it is braided Tiger thread holds up extremely well throughout the length of your run without fraying and splitting. It also holds up at the ends where you pierce the thread with the needles. No unraveling and letting go of your needle which can be particularly problematic at the end of a run when the thread is short. And a little thing -- it's flat so it's a breeze threading it. I can't say enough about Tiger thread

I've bought thread from Weaver, Ohio Travel Bag, Royalwood, Zack's, Springfield, a few places I can't even remember and of course, Tandy. None, folks, no, none measures up to Tiger thread. It's a crying shame that they don't wake up and start distributing in the US. I've got a box full of these threads that I no longer use.

I think I have at least one of every kind of thread Tandy offers and I haven't come across a braided variety. I wish I could as I just spent several hundred dollars on an order of Tiger thread from Abbey England. Oh well, now I am in hog heaven, thread-wise.

I suggest that all those who haven't try a smaller amount of thread as available on eBay or Etsy. It's ung*dly expensive any way you cut it but probably worth it in the long run for my money. I've had way to many struggles with my various threads. Those are quite happily in the past for me thanks to Tiger thread.

Michelle

I agree with Michelle, Tiger thread is about the nicest stuff I've used, but it is expensive, so I keep limited sizes and colors. For more variety, I've been using this stuff from China on ebay ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waxed-Leather-Sewing-Thread-for-Leather-Hand-Stitching-200-Yards-20-Colors-/151170709384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item233279f788

It is not as nice as Tiger, but it is less expensive. Spools are smaller than Tiger, and price / length is around half. It's not as heavily waxed as Tiger, which can also look better in some applications. And it's inexpensive enough to keep several colors around.

Bill

I recently tried this supply of thread. I find the 0.8mm very good for lighter weight work.

I agree with Michelle, Tiger thread is about the nicest stuff I've used, but it is expensive, so I keep limited sizes and colors. For more variety, I've been using this stuff from China on ebay ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waxed-Leather-Sewing-Thread-for-Leather-Hand-Stitching-200-Yards-20-Colors-/151170709384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item233279f788

It is not as nice as Tiger, but it is less expensive. Spools are smaller than Tiger, and price / length is around half. It's not as heavily waxed as Tiger, which can also look better in some applications. And it's inexpensive enough to keep several colors around.

Bill

Has anyone tried Main Thread's cotton braided cord? It's not waxed but that can be easily fixed.

http://www.mainethread.com/Polished_Braided_Cotton_Cord.html

I sent for a sample of colors and sizes. I removed 1 of the 1mm cords and put it between 2 pliers and tried to break it, it held up fine.

I don't know how this would do for hand stitching leather goods. They are limited on the in between sizes I thought.

Edited by retiredff

a couple of things here....

retiredff...the only problem with the thread you're describing is that it's cotton. i always thought that cotton would be a very nice and inexpensive thread to start using in my leatherworking, but it's not really the case. it picks up dirt readily and it just doesn't hold up well. it's subject to rot, also.

i wholeheartedly agree with michelle - tiger thread is really the gold standard when it comes to thread. i absolutely love everything about it - except for the price. although, i must say that it is worth every penny. it sews as close to perfect as you can get. it's consistent and it lays very nice. that being said, i would really like to find even a close 2nd place so i can afford to buy more of it rather than 25 yds. at a time.

billybopp....is that chinese thread polyester? and is it braided? the ebay info doesn't say what it is. i would be interested in getting hold of some of this stuff. i'd really like .6 mm though.

ramrod - I agree, I also am looking to replace tiger thread for cheap. Maybe that doesn't exist. I did contact SLC and inquire if they could look into handling tiger thread. The response I got was they would look into it.

that is a spark of hope. competition is a good thing.

yes it is...

The Chinese threaded is braided polyester. It sews very nicely, but because it is not so heavily waxed as Tiger, it is slightly more easily pierced so you have to watch out for that ... But if your technique is good that should not be a problem. I've used it extensively for this years Christmas preparations and love it. Do look carefully at the colors before you order .. Most are solid colors, but a couple of them are variegated.

Bill

that is encouraging. i think i'm gonna look into getting some. i'm probably gonna stick with the black / white / cream colors for this buy.

Coats/Barbour's makes a braided flat thread called Corus, but it is only in black or white , I believe. I am not yet convinced that braided is the ultimate. Unraveling occurs much more with linen than with nylon or polyester (as in Nyltex or Maine Thread). One disadvantage of braided is that it cannot be tapered, which means that using a slightly larger needle than twisted cord (especially linen). We did a little side-by-side on a scrap between Tiger thread and Maine Thread in a fine gauge. The results were similar. Tiger thread is nice to use, don't get me wrong, but if a spool of .030 Maine Thread costs $4.50 in any of the colors and is available readily, then I am not sure the extra money for Tiger thread makes a proportionate difference. (Note: I don't remember the length of thread on the spool for that price, but it's maybe 40 yards or so?) Maine Thread looks chunky on the spool but pulls down nicely. EDIT: it's 70 yards per spool.

Edited by johnv474

I use Tiger thread because that's what is used in the stuff I get in for repair but there are a lot of other threads that are just as good and are easier to get for a lot of people. When I first joined here not many people outside of the UK and Australia had heard of Tiger and I remember one thread where one member was completely off the mark as to what it was. The popularity has mainly come about due to the youtube videos as that is what those leatherworkers who are based in the UK are using.

Tiger thread is really only economical if you can buy it in the rolls 1000, 500 or 250 metre (dependant on the mm thickness) with business pricing. If I had to pay retail prices I don't think I would be buying it, it's mind boggling what some people are charging for it.

I have been using the braided thread from Ebay. I'm very happy with it. I've heard it's not as strong as tiger thread, but I'm not making saddles or horse tack. I've used tiger thread and I really don't see much difference except for the price.

johnv474 - what thread are you talking about when you mention maine thread? do they have a braided thread - or something similar.

i want to get some of the chinese thread from ebay, but i'd like to have options also.

Mainethread.com They sell a waxed twisted polyester thread. It is not braided, which has its pros and cons.

Edited by johnv474

I stated this in another post, but for those looking for a tough braided thread you should really look at archery serving. You may have to wax yourself, but that's a pretty simple process.

please explain what it is used for? i've never heard of it. and what sizes does it come in? colors?

Serving thread in archery is used to wrap around bowstrings and cables. It protects your main string from the wear of arrow nocks and calipers, very tough stuff. Check out Three River Archery and you can see all kinds of sizes and colors.