MCM Ranch

Waterproofing Tooled Leather, Resolene Alternatives?

Hi everyone,

I need to first say I am from Oregon, so my finished pieces are all likely to see some amount of rain / weather, even if something simple like a belt or checkbook cover....

I do a lot of carving and embossing, and need the waterproofing to last, and to really get down into all the deeper recesses of my designs. I have typically been tooling, forming if needed, stitching, oiling, and then using 50/50 resolene and water, 2 light coats, and, while it does seal well, it leaves the final product just not feeling...like leather. I am just thinking the acrylics are not necessarily the way to go... I have had some success taking a bar of glycerine & working it in after the resolene applications, but, the finished feel still isn't what I am really looking for. I have also tried super sheen, with similar results. I have not tried bag cote or tan cote, and would appreciate hearing your thoughts on how these 2 products compare both on protection and feel.

I am sure the 50/50 neetsfoot and beeswax suggestion I have seen on the forum would give a nice feel, but would not really protect the leather over the long term... I also have blackrocks, and pure carnuba cream on hand....but my concern about the waxes alone is again that I don't want rain drop staining on a 6 month old set of spur straps!

I am thinking saddle butter, or (i suppose followed by as my homework seems to say) dri-boot, may be better but don't know whether they will have the lasting protection I am looking for.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with these Ray Holes products, as well as anyone else who has faced & resolved...or compromised on...this issue.

Thank you in advance for your willingness to share your thoughts & experience!

Kate

Hi Kate,

I use Clear-Lac on my spur straps. I'm not sure what sort of feel you're looking for, but when rubbed on in light coats with a piece of trimmed wool, it soaks in pretty good, the leather stays flexible, and it is pretty weather resistant.

What I am trying to avoid is that stiff, almost plastic like feel to the surface of the leather. Using thin coats of reduced resolene, buffing, then adding a final top coat of glycerine has helped, and the finished pieces are flexible, but the surface does not feel soft & supple...it feels like it has been clear coated.

I suppose the difference is the way a new set of cheap, imported, stamped spur straps from the local tack shop feel, in comparison to a nice set of buckaroo leather reins, or a good, well used set of saddle bags.... The leather surface feels more like a piece of leather that was drum dyed with an oil dye.

Just to try to be clear, it is not 'floppy' from too much neetsfoot oil that I am looking for, just a more natural feeling surface than one coated with acrylic.

I am not sure there is an answer that still leaves good protection from weather....that is precisely why I am asking :)

Thanks again!

For me the Clear-Lac doesn't have the cheap plastic feel and you can still smell the leather after it dries. It protects well and looks good and my straps aren't stiff, but have a nice flexibility to them. It also doesn't crack or peel. You might try it...cut it 50/50 with the thinner and see if it does what your looking for. Good luck!

Dave

Hi there

I am a newb and struggling with this issue too! I can tell you with certainty that tan kote is not even remotely waterproof. Sneeze too hard and the darn stuff comes off and waterspots. Not a very good resist in my opinion either, pity cause it looks nice.

Cheers, toolingaround

I know that a lot of folks don't like the "plastic" look and feel of Resolene, but it does a very good job of sealing the leather from damage caused by moisture. In my experience, if it looks like plastic when you are done, then you have applied too much Resolene.

I have been unable to find anything that works better for me. The technique I use is as follows: I apply several VERY light coats of Resolene using a damp sponge, with plenty of drying time in between coats. I dampen the sponge, hold it over the top of the bottle of Resolene, and give the bottle a quick upward shake. This gets very little Resolene on the sponge. I also wash the sponge out between coats. This method results in very little Resolene being applied at once. Once I have several coats on the piece, I allow it to dry overnight. The next day I buff the entire piece well with one or two very light coats of Kiwi Neutral shoe polish. This method produces a light satin sheen and provides a good degree of protection. YMMV.