wildrose

best product for cleaning tack?

My mother called me today and I promised her I'd post this question. She has a martingale that has seen years of use. She knows she's the guilty party in not keeping it cleaned regularly. Aside from the use of Lexol, is there something you'd recommend for cleaning sweaty horse and such off it?

My mother called me today and I promised her I'd post this question. She has a martingale that has seen years of use. She knows she's the guilty party in not keeping it cleaned regularly. Aside from the use of Lexol, is there something you'd recommend for cleaning sweaty horse and such off it?

You could always try plain old yellow saddle soap, Holly. I've used it for years and see no reason to change. It just works. Lately I've been using Fiebings (nice stuff to use and I can get it easily) but I can't imagine the other brands are much different.

Ray

I'll second the vote for plain old saddle soap. I too use the Fiebings and I've turned some pretty old, grungy tack into good looking stuff with just the saddle soap and water.

Dan

I use murphy oil soap with warm water, if it is rely dirt with a build up of mold, you have to re oil while drying to recondition leather, it will remove some of the natural oil from the leather

Holly,

We clean with soap and water and then apply Leather New liberally. It is a glycerine saddle soap sold by Farnam and is available from any tack & feed store. It's been around for at least 40 years that I know of. I like the spray bottles and I use a trimmed piece of woolskin to rub it in with and then a soft clean cloth to polish with. It does a nice job. There are a lot of other good products out there and I have used several of them and liked them, but it seems I keep coming back to the Leather New for some reason.

Hope this helps....

Bobby

I appreciate the feedback! I've been passing it along to Mom; especially after she scared me by saying she was just going to wash it (i.e. put it in a washing machine kind of deal)!!!!

Hi Holly,

I've used Murphy's and it worked very well. I have also used the soap that Montana Pitchblend makes and it was very good also. Anything that is mild, foams pretty good and gets the gunk free.

Art

I appreciate the feedback! I've been passing it along to Mom; especially after she scared me by saying she was just going to wash it (i.e. put it in a washing machine kind of deal)!!!!

If the tack is extremly dirty you should first use the lexol cleaner to wash it........let it dry and then use a mixture of the lexol conditioner and Yellow Saddle Soap...I prefer Fiebings!