Stagdag

Transferring Patterns To Soft Chrome Tanned Leather Is Difficult!

I'm trying to do so on chrome tanned deer and calfskin using the pencil transfer technique...how do you guys and gals do it?

Thanks in advance!:)

PMZ

PMZ,

I don't know if my answer will address your question, but here are two techniques that might help.

First is simply a Silver Ink Economy Pen from Fisher Space Pens. You can buy them on line for cheap. I ususally get a half dozen and share them with leather friends.

The advantage is the silver ink is visible to follow when cutting, and it will erase, sometimes with just your thumb, other times with a very damp rag.

I even will spit on my thumb and erase when the mood strikes me.

I think with deer, you'd want to remove it right away, seems it is a little more difficult if you leave it.

The other method is to lay your pattern on your material, and dust around the edges with a bag of talcum powder. An old sock would work.

I strongly recommend not using baby powder with starch combined with the talcum. It will make a paste that can stick when it makes contact with moisture.

Hope that helps.

Gel ink pens require very little pressure. Try weighting the point you're tracing. A pint ziplock full of pennies is handy.

If it's something small, I tape the pattern to the leather, if it won't waste too much leather. That also reinforces your pattern if you want to use it again.

Kevin