Sign in to follow this  
candyleather

activities with leatherwork for children

Can you send me one index of activities with leatherwork for children between 5 to 13 years old? They are not boy scouts. I would like to organize a course for them all the morning saturdays of the year and in the summer holidays. I'll be grateful for your support.

Well,I don't have an index, but here's some things I have my 8 YO grand daughter do when she comes over and I am working in the shop. 1. Bracelets. I cut a piece about 1" wide and the right length and put a snap on for closure. Then she can decorate it with stamps or names. She makes them up for her friends.

2. bookmarks, I cut to the right length and then she decorates by stamping.

Next time I thought about maybe a little fold over coin purse type of thing she could stamp and then lace down the sides. Hope this helps.

You can do some braiding with them. I showed my science classes at the end of the year how to square braid and they enjoyed doing that...

tandy sells wristbands pre cut with the snaps already on them. you can have the kids stamp and color them up. they also sell quite a few simple kits.

Edited by beezachoppa

I'm running at 2-hr class for youth through adult that meets at a church in town every Thur. this summer. (The youngest is my son, who is almost 3, but most of the time he just plays with his toy cars) Kids range from 6-15, then there are a few parents who join in. I took Tandy's camp/summer catalog flier with me to the first session, showed them what to pick from, and I charge a flat 5.00/class. We picked out:

Keyrings

Pocket knife cases

Wristbands (I cut the straps, then we measured them and set snaps there)

Belts

Dreamcatchers

Medicine bags

Arrowhead shapes

I bring my tool block with various craftools, my 3-D stamps, a couple alphabet sets, and an assortment of dyes to each class, and of course GLOVES.

My five year old has been helping me make dog collars, I pay her to finish the edges for me.

She in turn has been buying what she wants at Tandy Leather. So far, she has bought a package of cut out pirate skulls (which aren't in their on-line catalog BTW) and used punches and a swivel knife with a ceramic blade to carve faces on them, then painted them. She punched a hole in the top, put a grommet in and is giving them to her friends at the Ren Faire as a favor.

She has bought bookmark blanks and used punches and a swivel knife to make presents for her grandparents and friends. She punches a hole in the top and raids my scrap ribbon bag for pieces to thread through.

She also makes bracelets, and small pouches. I put a LARGE needle in my leather machine and run the pouches through for her and she hand sews them with a rounded tip needle.

She also makes dog collars with scrap leather and 5/8" buckles and d-rings for her stuffed animals.

Here is one she made for a dog we sponsor:

DSC_0005.jpg

Wallace the Pit Bull

Can I make a suggestion on courses!

the way I would do it, is like this!

Week1 I will give a bit more detail on how i run my sessions then just cover the subject matter for the rest. it is age dependent.

Week 1.

Introductions and ice breakers 5 mins

starting with a few different leathers, where they come from and brief talking session, while touching/feeling and pointing out the obvious differences that you feel as well as those you see. Some of the leathers will be different colours, for younger children who might not remember the names too well depending on the age range, and size of group... (refering to the red peice of leather works for this). Then we have a blindfold game (with older kids) recognising each peice by the flexibilty courseness etc etc. its only a quick session 20 mins max.

then introduce the concept of tooling leather, cut each child a 2 inch square and explain about wetting and how to tell its too wet/too dry. 3mins - 5mins. Seal over with cellophane and take a quick break! 10mins I have a series of games to play organised.

Quiz to what we learned so far!

Introduce swivel knives (h&s rules first) working bits, grip, cutting lines straight, angles! then curved lines, reinforcing the importance of angles (obviously in child friendly language). Then let them practice or play until they get the feel of it. Get them to draw simple leaves which are a combination of the curved cut and the straight. Once they get going they will forget the wetting and quickly discover it is more difficult to cut while dry. They will learn not to let it happen quicker if you let them make the mistake at this stage, obviously don't make a big deal of it point out that its harder to cut when dry wet half the leather and get them to try both. I guarentee lesson will be learned, rather than tedious repetition, and they will let others know too! Then introduce the bevelling tool and how to use it 20mins-25mins

Then cut 1inch x 2inch fob sized leather bits, natural cordage in thirty cm lengths. Set the children the task of making a fob leaf necklace. Using the skills you learned earlier ......... make a lovely leather fob necklace. Set them going and give help when its needed. Once the children have finshed their designs inrtroduce coloured inks. This means the slower ones can catch up..... take note of the speeds of your group.

Then wax seal the fob explaining to each child as they finish why we seal the leather, this gives the slower ones time to catch up and paint their designs. I introduce holes punches at this point and some decorations.

Punching a hole on a practice peice then I teach the larks foot knot. The children punch a hole somewhere on the fob tie the knot. I generally tell them to leave the fob until they get home and give it a polish to give the wax a sheen.

say goodbye.

Week2.

Quiz what we learned last week.

Introduce stamps and paterners etc. drawing designs, transfering designs using the little plastic envelope windows.

Make a keyfob! Do not seal and tell them to bring it back next week or keep it till next week. Request old cloths next week.

Week3.

Quiz what we learned last week

Cutting patterns, finishing edges, Dye and dying - practice and different techniques. All hail to H&S.

Week4.

Quiz what we learned last week/so far

Putting it all together so far, bracelets cut, carve, dye, paint, wax, hol punching, eyelet fixing..... beginning of lacing (3 holes).

Week5

Quiz what we learned so far

Using patterns cut and dyed in week3 simple stitching to create pouches for tools.

or belts, tool rolls depending on group.

Week6

Quiz what we learned so far

Finishing pouches/belts, name tags for drawstrings. Games, food with parents and certificate Presentation.

Thats my twopence worth.