Sign in to follow this  
chouinardragon

Sewing On Soft Leather

Hello,

I bought a piece of soft leather(nubuck?) in 3oz thickness and it's difficult to sew by hand stitch.

I was told that when sewing on soft leather, people usually put a layer between two soft leather.

What is that layer? Leather or something else?

Thank you.

Chris

Soft leather like nubuck is easier to handle if you first glue your edges together. It can also be sewn with an ordinary household sewing machine using a leather needle. Your query is a little vague, so I hope this helps.

Lois

Thanks,Lois.

I glued them first then sewed and it was not as stiff as I sew veg tanned hide. I could not keep the awl even on the back side. it's sloppy.

Is it because my awl blade not sharp enough?

Chris

You can back the leather with some lining leather cow( veg tan or chrome) or pig. Pig skin, doesn't have much stretch to it . Using thin pig, 2 oz. or less in thickness will not stiffen you leather very much.

Frank

Soft leather like nubuck is easier to handle if you first glue your edges together. It can also be sewn with an ordinary household sewing machine using a leather needle. Your query is a little vague, so I hope this helps.

Lois

Thanks,bootsmt.

I will try to back the leather with the lining leather.

Let's see if it is easier with the lining leather. Thanks,man.

Chris

I think you're saying the leather flops over when you try to stab it. If that's the case, I put something behind it to stab into,like a piece of cloud crepe or cork, something soft but firm.

Kevin

Thank you,Kevin.

Yeah, I am thinking to get a cork for sewing. It seems a good idea.

Chris

I think you're saying the leather flops over when you try to stab it. If that's the case, I put something behind it to stab into,like a piece of cloud crepe or cork, something soft but firm.

Kevin

Just use your beeswax cake as the backing to stab into. Works great.

Dan

Wow, I've never heard of using beeswax cake as the backing. Thanks, Dan. I will try this first.

Chris

Just use your beeswax cake as the backing to stab into. Works great.

Dan

Beeswax as the material to stab into. Rather than cork mentioned earlier.

Dan

What are you making with your soft leather? In some cases, you can use a thin strip of veg tan for a welt. More information is needed.

Hello,

I bought a piece of soft leather(nubuck?) in 3oz thickness and it's difficult to sew by hand stitch.

I was told that when sewing on soft leather, people usually put a layer between two soft leather.

What is that layer? Leather or something else?

Thank you.

Chris

Hi

I was trying to make a tote bag or something. It's kind of difficult to sew by hand.

The leather I got is attached. The flash side is floppy.

What are you making with your soft leather? In some cases, you can use a thin strip of veg tan for a welt. More information is needed.

post-11650-079580300 1311126947_thumb.jp

You can glue the pieces together with contact cement. I The use the kind sold by Tandy Leathers. Are you using a stitching horse? What type needles are you using, harness, glovers? Are you using a diamond awl to punch holes? Yes they need to be sharp just like a knife does.

Hi

I was trying to make a tote bag or something. It's kind of difficult to sew by hand.

The leather I got is attached. The flash side is floppy.

Edited by flintlock

I did glue the pieces together but only on the edge, not whole piece. I use the European style stitching clam and use No5 harness needle with 25/3 waxed linen thread.

I mark with spacing wheels and punch with flatten diamond awl. it's easier to sew when the awl blade is sharp but is still not as firm as I sew on veg tan leather.

You can glue the pieces together with contact cement. I The use the kind sold by Tandy Leathers. Are you using a stitching horse? What type needles are you using, harness, glovers? Are you using a diamond awl to punch holes? Yes they need to be sharp just like a knife does.

It sounds like you're doing it right. Veg tan is always going to be the stiffest leather.

I did glue the pieces together but only on the edge, not whole piece. I use the European style stitching clam and use No5 harness needle with 25/3 waxed linen thread.

I mark with spacing wheels and punch with flatten diamond awl. it's easier to sew when the awl blade is sharp but is still not as firm as I sew on veg tan leather.

wow , this thread have very nice ideas ....

Just to add another option. I'm handsewing thin material that flops over, I glue it up and use a punch like this.

111-806600.jpg

Edited by BAD HIDE