Sign in to follow this  
kickboxr

Leatherworking Classes For A Beginner?

Hi All,

I am very new to leather working, and have just started with some very basic things (making simple belts, etc). Are there any classes in leather working for beginners in or around Utah? Thank you so much.

Jesse

Hello Jesse,

If there is a Tandy store near you they often have classes for beginners. Also, if you can travel a bit there will be a leather craft trade show in Sheridan, WY May 16-21st. They have all sorts of classes from beginner to advanced in all areas of leather craft. Plus, they have deals with neat tools and equipment, and you will see some of the best leather crafters in the world at that event. I've been a couple of years and taken classes that have really helped. If you can make it to the show classes it will really help. If you are interested in the trade show you can find out more at www.leathercraftersjournal.com/Rocky_Mtn_Leather_Trade_Show.html.

There are some beginner videos that are available from Hide Crafters, but I haven't looked at many of them but what I have seen looked very good. If you learn better from books, all of the Stohlman books (available from Tandy) are great help with a lot of details that can help you get better.

Also, I have found the people here on this site are an excellent help and are very willing to share. There is a lot of great information here.

Hope this helps,

Bob

If you can find a class Chan Geer is teaching. I am not sure if you are close to any areas he is teaching, you will need to look it up. He is an awesome teacher.

Aaron

Hello Jesse,

If there is a Tandy store near you they often have classes for beginners. Also, if you can travel a bit there will be a leather craft trade show in Sheridan, WY May 16-21st. They have all sorts of classes from beginner to advanced in all areas of leather craft. Plus, they have deals with neat tools and equipment, and you will see some of the best leather crafters in the world at that event. I've been a couple of years and taken classes that have really helped. If you can make it to the show classes it will really help. If you are interested in the trade show you can find out more at www.leathercraftersjournal.com/Rocky_Mtn_Leather_Trade_Show.html.

There are some beginner videos that are available from Hide Crafters, but I haven't looked at many of them but what I have seen looked very good. If you learn better from books, all of the Stohlman books (available from Tandy) are great help with a lot of details that can help you get better.

Also, I have found the people here on this site are an excellent help and are very willing to share. There is a lot of great information here.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for your response. I am not that far from Sheridan, and so I am going to try and make it to the show so I can take a few classes.

I have bought a few dvds and I am slowly learning some very basic things. :) I like this forum where there are so many talented people sharing

their work and ideas.

There is a Tandy store close by and I should check into the classes they might have too. Thank you so much for the information.

Jesse

If you can find a class Chan Geer is teaching. I am not sure if you are close to any areas he is teaching, you will need to look it up. He is an awesome teacher.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Thank for the response. I am not sure if he is my area but I will look that up. Thank you again!

Jesse