leatheroo

the number of gun and knife accessories

I know i am going to get slammed for this post and it is not my intention to offend anyone, but i am totally blown away by the number of gun and knife accessories on leatherworker. I can appreciate the beautiful workmanship, but coming from a country where it is illegal to own a gun or carry a knife, i find it hard to comprehend the interest in these weapons. Last year we had only about 100 gunshot homicides in the whole country from a population of 20,000,000 people. I know this is a sensitive issue with a lot of people, but i am glad we have a no gun law in Australia.

OK... i am ready....fire away!!

Erm for a country that has a no gun law and still got 100 gun shot homisides there is somthing wrong,

its all a politicall thing take a look at the UK they are trying to ban all types of weapons but the criminals still have them,

the redgistered gun owner is normally a responsable person with no criminal record and as soon as he breaks the law, even drunk driving, his licence will be revoked, speaking from the european side of the law in Germany,

here in germany we have sporting gun clubs in every village and you dont hear every day in the news of and gun related homisides thank god,

all of the custom stuff i do are for collectors reenactors or sports shooters,

i allso see some guns as a work of art in the way they are made finishing and the way they work too, some are collectable for lots of reasons, and to have a well made holster to put them in for the practicall or for show isnt making this weapon any more dangerous, as the saying goes guns dont kill people people kill people,

it is in the nature for humans to be violent some more than others, there is probably more base ball bats bought for self protection than used for the sport but this doesnt mean we have to ban the sport, humans will always find ways and means to protect them selves, Don

Of course we have target gun clubs here too and target shooting is a very credible sport and the registered owners are responsible and very well screened , and of course there will be illegal guns in all communities, but the average person cannot buy a gun just for protection and there really is no need here.

Leatheroo,

I can understand your aversion to guns (lots of people feel the same way here in the U.S.), but I think you'll find that the folks that post pictures of knife sheaths and holsters here are some of the finest people you'll meet. They're extremely talented leatherworkers in their own right, and are interested in firearms for sport shooting, hunting, or military service. No one here is interested in committing a crime.

I think you can still enjoy the artistry that goes into making a fine holster or sheath, even if you're not a gun or knife owner. I don't own a gun or a motorcycle or a horse, but still enjoy seeing everyone's work that complements such items. :)

Best regards, -Alex

Leatheroo,

I can understand your aversion to guns (lots of people feel the same way here in the U.S.), but I think you'll find that the folks that post pictures of knife sheaths and holsters here are some of the finest people you'll meet. They're extremely talented leatherworkers in their own right, and are interested in firearms for sport shooting, hunting, or military service. No one here is interested in committing a crime.

I think you can still enjoy the artistry that goes into making a fine holster or sheath, even if you're not a gun or knife owner. I don't own a gun or a motorcycle or a horse, but still enjoy seeing everyone's work that complements such items. :)

Best regards, -Alex

ALEX YOU ARE SO RIGHT............... :beer:

Why bring that up? This isn't a political site, go there and post your comments!

SkipJ

Darling,

You stay in your country and live with your gun laws and we promise to stay in our country and live with ours.

Art

I know i am going to get slammed for this post and it is not my intention to offend anyone, but i am totally blown away by the number of gun and knife accessories on leatherworker. I can appreciate the beautiful workmanship, but coming from a country where it is illegal to own a gun or carry a knife, i find it hard to comprehend the interest in these weapons. Last year we had only about 100 gunshot homicides in the whole country from a population of 20,000,000 people. I know this is a sensitive issue with a lot of people, but i am glad we have a no gun law in Australia.

OK... i am ready....fire away!!

at the risk of sounding cliche....."guns don't kill people...people do".....i know that this is the battle cry of the gun owners in the states...but it's true....the people who want guns for the purposes of killing others....will get guns through any means necessary...whether their legal or not in your country.....the only statistic that gun laws effect are the accidental shooting statistics....accidental shootings can ALWAYS be attributed to stupidity or neglect..."hmm...i've got four children in my house...that like to play cops and robbers....i think i'll go ahead and leave my gun out in the open, loaded and unlocked"...the dangerous part of the "American gun culture" is the fact that SOME gun owners shouldn't be allowed to own guns (or have kids, or be responsible for anything but scratching their own butts) because they don't possess the proper level of intelligence, maturity, sanity, responsibility, or any combination there of, to own a deadly weapon.

Also...something that's always neglected in the "gun ownershhip debate" is the population ratio of the example countries.

currently the US has a population of around 301,139,947 people....that's a lot of folks....and we've got a rellatively dense population...the vast majority of people live in a rellatively small portion of our large country.

the US's gun related death rate is OFTEN compared to england (alot of times it's europe as a whole...but we'll stick with the limeys because it's easier) who's population is around 50,690,000 people....do the math...that's a difference of 250,449,947 people.......there's no way to do a direct numerical comparison between the two...

another metric often used is the suicide rate involving guns as the suicide method

This image shows the suicide rates of various countries where a gun was the method of suicide and it's clear that the US is in the top list...HOWEVER This image shows the average suicide rates per 100,000 people on a global map...this shows that australia, the former USSR, china, and MOST of europe have the highest percentage of total suicides per 100,000 people....this shows that gun ownership is not directly related to suicide rates....and that the fact that the US has the highest percentage of gun related suicides is only a function of the fact that we have more guns available, while still having fewer percentages commiting suicide

this is not to devalue your views...they are yours and you should hold them...but many people forget the facts and data when they start to argue about government policies....

I can easily hurl potential lethal projectiles quickly and easily with any number of system. The logic of banning guns and knives makes as much sense to me as banning lungs because they can intake potentially lethal substances including that dreadful oxidizer, oxygen.

Leatheroo,

After more than thirty years in local and Federal law enforcement, I can tell you that most cops have no problem with private ownership of sporting and defence firearms. We, more than most, understand the phrase, "When seconds count, the cops are minutes away." You state that there is no need in your country for self-defence ownership of firearms/knives, but I'd be willing to bet that a sizeable portion of your "only 100" homicide victims might have seen a need...

Mike

we live is a world with alot of people, alot of them are not very nice and want to take what another person has, including thier life, by any means at their disposal. These people do not care about any laws on the books in any country in the world. I personally feel more comfortable having a weapon that I can use to protect myself, my wife, my children and my property when someone is trying to take it away without my permission. Unfortunately it is not effective on the worst offenders of all, Politicians they seem to want to take everything away from everyone to line their own pockets, it's not enough for them that they get a free ride condoned by the voters. Added... after more thought on the issue all political ramblings aside... A gun is a tool as any other, it has a specific use to get a job done, the improper use of any tool can result in injury, catastrophic on occassion. It is ultimately up to the individual to know the limitations of thier knowlege and that of the tool and get the proper training in the use of said tool wheather it is a headknife or a handgun.

Edited by Jordan

Very interesting and heated replies as i expected.

I think if we put the criminal aspect into prospective, and look at it like this.... We here in the US (I cannot speak for other countries) remove our criminals and place them all together. While they are in these prisons, they are still able to get guns. They get any weapon they can afford and when they cannot afford a gun or something else, they make their own weapons. These are used for both protection and offensive purposes. I have see guns and other weapons in prisons.

Now these people have been taken out of society and there not a gun store around the corner, but they are still able to get them. If our society bans weapons form the general public, they will not be banning them from the people who truly want to have them. And to be totally honest, if they were to be banned, I would still own and keep mine, and maybe continue to have my collection grow. If I want to kill someone, all banning guns and knives does is take the convenience away from me. I can use anything else including my bare hands to do it. The only thing taking the convenience away does is allow some "passion" murders time to cool off while they are looking for a means of committing the murder.... But then again, most crimes of passion are done using something at hand, a frying pan, a lamp, a push down the stairs, driving a car off a bridge.....

As for suicides with firearms.... again, an act of passion for the most part, and the convenience of the gun is all it is... most people who commit suicide with a gun did not just go out to purchase the gun for this occasion.... they already owned it or had access to it. Other wise they would use a different method.... like illegal pills and booze, or a rope, or toaster in the tub or whatever they see as not being too scary.

Just my 2cents....

And not to flame or bash you Roo, I have friends who have never been around firearms and have been raised to have the same views as you.... kind of reminds me of the prudes I grew up around with their views on sex and people of color.... Its just that they know no better...

What i am trying to understand wolve is why do you feel the need to own guns? Are you a target shooter or hunter? Or do you feel the need to own guns for personal protection?

personally...i don't own any guns (the wife would freak out)....but i would like to....there's something relaxing about target shooting....and there's deffinitely something comforting about having one available for personal protection if the need should arise

Maybe this is a female thing, i notice there have been no replies from women.

well...there are probably more women who are made uneasy by guns...but there are ALOT of female gun owners in the states...and ALOT of the best target shooters are women...

Hi Leatheroo,

There is a movie "Red Dawn" (circa 1984), watch it, your questions will be answered. We need an Army (Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard) to protect our country from outside, if they come here WE the People will take care of that. You just have to understand Yanks.

Art

What i am trying to understand wolve is why do you feel the need to own guns? Are you a target shooter or hunter? Or do you feel the need to own guns for personal protection?

I am a legal gun owner. I had to jump through several state and federal hoops to purchase them, including passing some safety tests, law knowledge, etc.

In the U.S., every state has different gun laws. Nevada and Arizona are both "open carry" states, meaning, as long as it's visible you can carry a loaded gun in public. I don't see too many people doing it, but it has never bothered me.

I live in California. Our laws are much more restrictive. I do a lot of camping in the desert near the Mexico border. There is a criminal element there and not a lot of leos (law enforcement officers). I applied for a "concealed carry" permit and was turned down. I have decided to ignore the law, I carry a gun(s) in my motorhome when traveling. (When parked and the keys removed from the ignition, my motorhome becomes my residence and I am legally allowed to have a loaded gun in it.)

There have been shootings out there, Border Patrol chasing coyotes (human taffickers), drug smugglers. I'm much more comfortable knowing I can defend myself (plus, I camp with several other people that are armed including combat veteran Marines). It just makes much more sense to be armed than not.

It's part of American culture, and, in the past, part of Australian culture as well. Being a 5th generation "westerner" I have an inhiert dislike of govmint.

I have read that statistically, crime has increased in Australia because the public can't defend itself, and criminals know this, but hey, statistics only prove themselves. Criminals never care about laws, ethics, morals.

If you don't like guns, that's quite alright with me. I don't like asparagus and refuse to eat it.

In the meantime, did you see that absolutely beautiful holster set "lasso" made????

And he sent it to England!? :specool:

Our for fathers came from countries like yours were gun ownership was repressed. It was for that reason the 2nd Ammenment was the second most importaint thing to them when they wrote the US constitution. "The right of the people to keep and bare arms"

God created man, Col. Colt made them equal...

No ones going to convince her...

Randy

thankyou washroad, this is the type of information i was looking for....personal reasons for owning guns and i find yours completely valid. I am not totally closed minded about this , but looking for information and explanations. I think in US where guns are a way of life for many people and always have been, trying to ban them would be a mistake. However, never having had guns here has formed a different community view and we like it this way. Yes i have seen the holsters you mentioned and i find the work absolutely beautiful.

OK i am bored with this topic. Who wants to argue about the ethics of hunting?? Joke....Just pushing your buttons!!!

Edited by leatheroo

leatheroo,

In response to #14 where you asked why we feel the need. That is the one thing, in mine and many others that does not exist. We were raised with them and all my ancestor were also. The majority of them were Scots-Irish that landed on these shores and went straight into the unsettled, by whites anyway, Appalachia before or by 1750. There was no government there and no law other than what we made. Some of my ancestors came here from Austria as mercenaries to fight for the British during the French and Indian Wars with the promise of land grants. Before the ink was dry on the Louisiana Purchase we were on our way west ahead of the government. Some of my ancestors had even pushed into Texas before Austin's Colony with Wilkerson's and Burr's ill fated colony, dirty double and triple dealing Wilkerson.

We have never relied on the government to keep us safe. We are the government. We are the law enforcement. We are the Armed Forces. And we are armed and we practice marksmanship like the duty that it is.

Not always a woman thing. I am a knifemaker/sheathmaker living in Florida.I open carry a fixed blade everyday and both me and my wife have permits for concealed carry of handguns.She's all for knives and guns and has a few guns of her own.While I don't agree with your stance on gun control, I won't give you any grief for it.We just have to agree to disagree. Dave

thats why the anti gun politicians want to take the right to have them away. They are afraid that the law abiding citizens will get fed up and take back our government by force, which some say the founding fathers had in mind in the first place, if the government got to big for it's britches. Aint it grand, nothing like politics or religion to get the old juces flowing. I have always found it intersting to hear others opinions on hot topics. Can we talk about the sad state of healthcare in the states next :censored2:

Some of us are alive today because we had a gun. Our house was burglarized 6 years ago while we were a sleep. The next door teenager and his gang banger buddy ( He was a Blood gang member from LA.) came in through a sliding patio door. The police said the gang banger was always armed and was wanted on several armed robbery warrants. It was over 100 deg F that night and we had the air conditioner in the bedroom running on high. We never heard them come into the house. They stole anything that looked of value and was quick to get out with. They never came into our bedroom, where the wife and I both had pistols on our night stands. We would have heard them come into the bedroom, very squeaky door!!! I had just been out shooting that day and did very well. I brought the targets home to show the wife and set them down on a table by the bedroom door. The cop said the only reason they didn't come into the bedroom was that they saw the targets by the door. They knew we could shoot very well. Even the crooks don't want to get shot if they can avoid it. Had I not went shooting that day and brought the targets home, we most likely would have been shot and possibly killed that night. When you are a victim your opinion changes dramatically about guns and self protection. Had they come into the bedroom our only protection would have been our guns on the night stands.

They caught both the teenager and his gang banger buddy. The teen went to juvenile hall until his 18th birthday (he was 14 at the time). The gang banger went to state prison for 7 years for stealing our car and 5 other home burglaries besides ours.

Self protection is every persons right and in the USA it is a protected part of our constitution, the 2nd Amendment. That's one of the things that makes America unique in the world. By conservative estimates firearms are used around 2 million times a year to protect their owners, most of the time without firing a shot. The sight of a gun makes the bad guys turn tail and run. Like I said the bad guys don't want to get shot if they can avoid it. Historically our country was founded, expanded, settled, and civilized by the gun. It's an ingrained part of our culture. As other have said you have to compare the statistics based on the population of our country.

Edited by gunfighter48