Wolfsax

The Ideal Leatherworker's Home Studio

Hi guys! Thanks in advance for your help.

My loving boyfriend and I are planning on building a home next year. To prove how loving he is, we're planning on having a designated leather workshop for me. A big upgrade from the uninsulated shed/shared counter top in the already packed trailer. I'm hoping the new space will also allow me to start a home workshop and business.

So, what I'm asking: What features would you like in your home workshop? What size room should I consider? What layout would you suggest, etc.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what we need to incorporate into the plans for the house. I'd rather try to think ahead about the space and stuff instead of renovating later, especially considering we'll probably be doing this on a budget. I know for example I'd like a work area, possible display area, and I'll prolly need a separate area to store unused leather (right now it's rolled up on the loft area of the shed). I'm also considering a small utility sink.

So, if you could create your perfect workshop, what would you include?

welllllllllll big screen TV,ice box and plenty of beer--ok maybe a cooler and beer .

Dont forget remote or wash tub with ice and beer

Thats my way

Joe

I built a new shop about 6 years ago 24x36. It has a 12 foot garage door on one and a 3 foot door on the other. Sheetrock celieing with 10 ins. of insulation 2x4 walls with 3 1/2 insulation. Pegboard on all of the walls. My friend got almost enough pegboard for free and gave it to me. The shop stays 10 to 15 degrees cooler or warmer than outside depending on the season.

Electrical i put plug in's ever three foot and wish i had of done 4 plug in's in each box. I put plug in's in the celeing so i can just plug in floresent lights and move them if want.

After 6 years it's still a work in progress. I'm building shelves and cabinets as i have extra money. All ready had a bench / table that i have used for 20 years. Next project on my list is a seperate tooling table with inlaid granite stone. Then a work table and then use the table i have now just cut out on.

Leather storage is on three racks i built just for storage.

I do think the 24 x 36 is a good size. It's big enough to grow and have room for odds ends. Build as big as you can afford and then add things as you get extra money unless you have already won the lottery . :winkiss:

I do wish i had of run water out the shop and at least roughed in a bathroom and shop sink.

Edited by dirtclod

Well mine is a garage but I ahve to since I also am a knifemaker and throw alot of dust and sparks.As said I have the stereo,TV,Computer and beer fridge, but there are numerous things I think you will need.Like Dirtclod said can't have enough power, and lighting.This may require an electrician to make more power available to that room.I personally think one of the most necessary and most overlooked items is a good chair.Don't cheap out here,you will be spending alot of time in it and discomfort will eventually distract you from your work. Set your bench height where you are the most comfortable, not whatever someone says the standard is.I have benches at different heights depending on what I am doing there,may look strange but it works great for me.I would also get a good fire rated metal cabinet for your chemicals ,dyes,etc., especially if your running a business and for insurance reasons.If I think of anything else I'll post again.Good Luck with your adventure.Dave

Agree with Dave on everything for the most part.

One thing about the benches and such, IMHO I like to make them to a good height while standing at the bench. Then get a chair that is adjustable in height or of the correct height to make things comfy. This way they will work both ways and save your back.

i envy you guys. my studio is pretty laughable, but hey...I have fun and get things done in there :) I will have to take notes here when I get some space to fully dedicate to this hobby

My shop is a 12x24 single car garage with a common wall with the house. That helps with heating and cooling a lot. I also have a small window AC through the wall, and run quartz space heaters in the winter. Listen to what everyone has said so far about power. I have 4 outlets at each box and that has eliminated power strips. Also I have 5 overhead shop lights on switched ceiling outlets. At least one of the lights has a pull cord for on/off. I don't think I've pulled it more than twice, it just stays on. I have put horse stall mats on the floor in all of the work space except in front of the back door for no apparent reason other than I haven't got around to getting one for there yet. Those mats help with comfort and more importantly repel knives and edge tools from ever falling to the floor. In the past when it was bare concrete every so often a knife would fall on the floor. They always fell blade down and remained vertical to bounce at least three times on the edge to really ding themselves up before falling over. The stall mats have some sort of invisible ray the prevents knives from falling, none have since they went in. I also agree about the bench height being a standing height and then getting a good chair too. I have some chairs that go really high and make life comfortable. I raised my cutting table to match the height of my stamping bench. I thought it was pretty good before. I was wrong, it is way better now.

If you have to use chemicals within the shop - good ventilation is a must. I have a covered patio out the back sliding door of the shop so I can glue out there in poorer weather. In decent weather I can open the garage door and slider for cross ventilation. My leather stores on a rack and is sorted by type and size. The colored leathers are sorted abd stored in concrete form tubes on that rack. Amazingly the rack is 4 feet long and so are the tubes. I am a little slow on the uptake and realized about three months ago that the leather is also shipped in square boxes that happen to be 4 feet long. They are free at that point and would work well too.

This is about the 3rd floorplan I had and this works the best for me. Everything is against the walls except for the cutting table and stamping bench. They sit in the middle and I can get around all 4 sides of the cutting table. That is good for me. The only creature comforts I need is a CD player and cordless phone within reach. The kitchen is right through the door. The garage door is nice to bring buly things in and out. The downside is to get into the shop you either go through the house or big garage door. The dogs protect the back sliding door. I don't have a lot of foot traffic, but would like to one day put in an entry door directly from the outside.

Well, everyone has given good advice, and they are all good things to think about. I will add that a really good/big cutting table is also a must. I got lucky a long time ago, and traded some venison for one that has been a major plus. My table is 11' X 6'. It was even longer, but I had to cut it down to get it in the basement/shop, I can lay a whole side out and really plan out what I am going to cut, before I lay knife to leather. The only drawback is that some gremlins seem to store a lot of un-needed stuff under it. The other thing I would suggest is some outside lighting, like windows and if possible, a sky-light. All in all, if you incorporate all your wants into you plans, even though you don't get them right away, you will be able to add them as you go. There is no time table for having it all, and you will probably always have a work-in-progress going anyway. My work -in-progress is now 20 years old! Good luck!

Bondo Bob

Edited by BondoBobCustomSaddles

Thanks guys! You've given me a lot to think about, including some things I hadn't considered. Hopefully this is doable for me. Right now the plan is to put it on the second floor of a basement home. We live on the first floor, my workshop and his "man cave" on the second, with opposite porch access to both. We're HOPING the second floor will have a way to drive up to it as well, and we can load up stuff as needed (he DJ's on the side, so some heavy equipment).

Again, thanks for the advice and I can't wait to see more