Well..Firstly, I am gonna have a booth at an upcoming gun show. Has anyone done any? Comments on them would be awesome. How much merchandise should I bring? Also, what guns should I bring the most of? Any help or suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks

I have done a couple gun shows, and I must say did not do so good. Most I found are looking for a bargin. I handed out a lot of cards, got a couple calls later but for the most part it was a bust. I did sell a couple CC holsters and a couple ancle holsters for the smaller guns but never got close to covering my expenses. I was not selling guns just leather stuff. I had a lot of traffic at my booth, with lots of intrest but the money was just not there. Not sure if I would do another one.

Randy

I have done quite a few but enjoys custom knife only shows as well.If this is your first, don't expect a sellout and count this as a learning experience.It's like going to school.Dress nice but casual, comfy shoes as you will be up alot , stand as much as you can and engage your customers and ask what they maybe looking for.I would take as much as you can have built and afford to, empty tables don't sell. At a knife only show I don't setup without at least 12-15 knives and sheaths.At gunshows I have knives,sheaths,holsters,slings and whatever else I can put up.As far as type of guns, alot depends on your area but typically Glock 19 and 1911 holsters are always popular.Advertise if you want to do custom work and what kind you'll do.Have pics or a laptop to show previous work, better yet is to have power and a slide show on a laptop showing your work all day.There is some that say don't show prices but I have prices on all my goods and will continue to do so.Remember that there will be a ton of tire kickers but it only takes one guy to make your show.At a show several years ago, I was having a slow day then a guy walked up looked around and walked away, came back bought one knife and left.He then called me the next day and purchased the 12 knives I had left.He continued to purchase over 20 knives and at least 6 holsters over the next two years.Good luck and learn alot.Dave

I spent two days and $25 at a gun show back in October. Had plenty of Glock 17 and 1911 holsters. Nothing sold. Had ONE order for a holster and magazine pouch. Back in December, one of that guy's friends contacted me and ordered a holster. Just a few days ago, a friend of one or the other of them called me and wants to order three holsters.

So......seemed like a waste of time to begin with, but I'm experiencing a snowball effect.

Gun show instructions:

1. Spend an hour or two getting there and setting up your display.

2. Spend 8 or 10 hours on your feet, keeping a close eye on everything you have displayed to make sure nothing grows legs and walks away.

3. Answer a dozen questions per hour, usually one of which makes sense.

4. Smile as you politely decline each offer to "take it off your hands" from the bargain hunters.

5. Listen to a couple of lectures daily about what you're doing wrong, what you should be doing, and how you should be doing it.

6. Eat lousy food from gut-truck concessionaires. Take plenty of antiacid tablets. NEVER drink the coffee!

7. Spend an hour or two packing up and going home.

8. Take the phone calls from the two guys who bought holsters from you, then traded off the guns that fit those holsters, and now would like to have a refund.

9. Take the phone call from the guy who bought the holster for the gun he was going to buy, then bought a different gun, and found another holster for that gun, and would like to have a refund.

10. Add up your total sales, subtract your booth rental and materials costs, deduct your gasoline and meals, then compare what is left (if any) to the number of hours you spent making everything and tied to a table for 2 or 3 days.

11. Take the solemn oath never to do it again.

I've also had a few folks who wanted to order a quantity of my products to sell at gun shows. Typical questions:

Q: Will you give me a couple of dozen on consignment?

A: No.

Q: If they don't sell can I return them for a refund?

Q: Will you pay the booth rental if I man it for you and handle sales for a commission?

Q: What do you think will sell the best?

A: Left-handed cross-draw holsters for 1895 Mosin Nagant 7.62mm revolvers with barrels cut down to 2" and target sights installed. But only if you have one in the right color.

Q: What is the right color?

A: The one you don't have with you.

Q: You don't think this is a good idea, do you?

A: Yes, I do. It's such a good idea that I will give you a 20% discount on everything I have in stock right now so you can take it all to the next gun show! Cash only at that price, of course. Sorry, no checks.

+1 Lobo, but I think you left off one...

Q: Will you match the price of the guy selling 'name brand' knock-offs for $10/holster.

A: No. Please excuse me, I need to get started on the IWB for a S&W 500 Mag.

I did one show and would like to do another. I had fun, but everything mentioned so far happened to me. About the only thing I sold were the holsters I had lying around for years. I still have holster that I made for the show left. It seems like it should work, I just can't figure out how to make it worth while. I was advised to take something to do and a pretty lady to sell the stuff. And for what guns to take holsters for, I was asked for a ankle holster for a full sized 1911. I hope this helps. JH

Lobo,

I had to copy your instructions and post them in my shop for future reference! Thanks for the laughs this morning. My show wasn't that bad in comparison to some. I fortunately did sell enough at my first show to pay for the trip and a new gun! I also received 4-5 orders from people after the show, which made it really worth while. I know that this isn't the norm but I would do it again even if it's only to get my name out there and get a little more exposure.

Frank

From everyone I have talked to in this business and in others, it seems that shows are almost like an introduction into the community. It's a scout patch if you will - everyone has at least one! It makes for good stories when surrounded by like minded folks as well :)

Go into it planning to not make any money, then anything over that is gravy.

Edited by Eaglestroker

Well in this economy, I feel it's a reasonably cheap way to get some local advertising aimed at alot of your primary customers.While about 95% of my sales comes from the internet, some local sales are definately appreciated.Maybe it's just easier for me since I live close to the show, and having done Custom knife shows for so many years that I am more prepared.Table prices at our local gun show are about $70 for the weekend, whereas a typical custom knife show will run a couple hundred to over $1500 for a table, booths can run several thousand.We have a show kit thats stays ready most of the time, bring a cooler with our own food and drinks, and setup time is about 20 minutes.And despite all the tirekickers, bargin hunters, and general know it alls, it still can be fun.Dave

I just attended a local Sports Show. I know it wasn't the same as a gun show. ( I see that Mid Atlantic Arms Collectors is going to have a show semi-local to me and after reading the good advice here, I think I will pass on attending that show.) The Sports Show was a fun experience, got to meet a bunch of nice folks and found it was interesting that there are people out there looking for leatther workers. There were inquiries for shoulder holsters. A few others looking for custom holsters for odd guns (ok- odd to me) that can't be found online or in most stores. The most requested items (of which I didn't make to take) wallets and money clips. Go figure. :)

Crystal

The show here is $50 a table. So i dont have to risk a lot of money there.

Great topic! I've often wondered how it would be to rent a table at the gun show. I think Lobo summed it up pretty well.

I love gun shows and I set up at one every month. That said, if all I was selling was holsters it would be a worthless endevor. I do take a few holsters generally for the newest guns on the market that no one else has holsters for and a few of those will sell. I also get calls later from folks that saw my work and are wanting to order.

Lobo's litany of irritants is right on and I'll add a couple. If you have your holsters where people can get their hands on them one in three will pick up a holster and stand there folding it back and forth. Then there is the guy who will walk up and try to stuff a full size 1911 into a holster for a compact 9mm. "Just to see if it will fit".

YMMV but I doubt it.

If you have your holsters where people can get their hands on them one in three will pick up a holster and stand there folding it back and forth.

What in the h3ll makes grown men want to do that??!!?? I know I'll get my mouth busted one day for saying something about it.

I'm planning on doing my first gun/knife show in late April.

I don't expect to sell anything, in fact, nothing will be for sale. I just want to display examples of my work, hand out a brochure, and see what happens down the road.

I've worked trade shows for some companies I've worked for, and have always enjoyed this meet and greet approach.

Tables are only $45, it's an hour away....I'm looking at it as a not so pricey investment.

One thing for sure, you have to be able and willing to deal with the public with a good attitude.

Edited by Rayban

I've never been on 'that' side of the table, but I've been at a lot of gun shows. A couple of things I'd point out:

1. Have shiny things on the table. Silver buckles, for example. You'd be surprised at how easily people are distracted into looking at your stuff that way.

2. Look at people. In the eyes. I can't believe how many people pay to sit at a table and sulk.

3. As others have pointed out, don't expect to sell out. But see if you can plant the seeds for future customers.

4. Also as others have pointed out, MANY of the folks at a gun show are looking for bargains. By that they mean as close to free as possible. If you're fishing in the ocean, most of the fish are not ones you want to keep. Keep baiting the hooks if you want to land the good ones.

5. Have fun. Ask to see someone's gun that they're carrying. Ask about the gun. (Play stupid, if necessary.) Be fun for the customers. The time will pass quickly and you will make a far better impression than just as a leather pro.

If you can have some high end items on the tables, gets people to looking. You will not sell many of these but customers feel that if you can produce something that wonderful then you will do a great job on your other items.

Take the time to seek out the cheaper holsters and know where they are. Don't cut your price just for a sale. If they don't have the money or won't spend it then send them to these other dealers. Shows you are understanding, carring and not greedy. It won't be long before they will be back and purchasing a good holster.

I have been doing gun shows for a couple of years and sales and customers don't come over night. Its all I can do to keep up with inventory and custom orders from the shows. Cultivate some of the gun dealers to help promote you and your product. I get a lot of orders from the dealers themselves, do a good job and keep them on your side.

Bobby

Here are some observations from a guy who has been to a TON of gun shows over the past 30+ years, some as a buyer, some at a table.

Lobo, we had great food at some of the shows I attended. One promoter would hold a BBQ for the sellers on the night of the set up . Can't comment on the coffee, as the only coffee I drink is Kahlua. It is a good idea to bring a cooler though, a lot less expensive that way.

Engage the customer. Hi, how are you doing today? Or Anything special that you are looking for today? When I was selling tickets for my NRA grassroots group I always had the highest sales because I engaged the potential customers. Don't expect the product to sell itself, as it may look like everyone else's wares unless you let them know of the differences.

Scout the show to see what the competition has to offer, and what their prices are like.

Know the market at the show that you are attending. Is it mostly black guns, cowboy SASS stuff, hunting rigs, etc.. We had shows back home that had distinctions like this.

The shows I attended there were holsters, new and used, by the tote full on some tables from closed stores, dead inventory, etc. Some guys were selling new holsters for $5-$10. Even those were slow sellers, but they always had them out for sale at every show. The only holsters that I was ever looking for were original ones for military guns like Broomhandle Mausers, Steyr Hahns, Nambus, Lugers, P-38's, etc..

Do a distinctive table display. Have prices prominently displayed. No reason to have a guy who can only afford a $30 holster stop, and wait to ask you how much your $300 holsters are. Or, it may be the other way around where they think it must $300 because " if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it" when in fact it is only $30. Have a sign out mentioning handmade ,custom work accepted, or some other way to let the potential customer know what you do. One custom holster maker back home also offered leather repairs, and other leatherwork, as well as holsters.

If the seller was arrogant, or full of himself, I usually kept on walking. The guys who got my sale were the ones that came across as friendly, and were interested in making a sale. Over the years I developed some good friendships with some of the regular sellers.

Yep, most gun show guys are looking for a bargain, why else go to a gun show? You can pay retail anytime, why wait for a gun show to do so? This can be hard on the custom guy like you. A lot of guys are not thinking of buying custom items at a gun show, more like looking for an Uncle Mike's, Bianchi, Galati, etc. If it is a black gun show, Kydex, and Cordura are the norm.

Be there at door opening, and door closing times. I have passed many tables that were covered because the seller was tardy. Sundays are slow, and can pick up after church lets out. Be prepared to get the deal grabbers at the end of the show. I usually found great buys from guys looking to make table fee money, or didn't want to haul something back home.

Do not ignore people at the table. As they walk up acknowledge to them that you noticed them if you are talking with someone else. Then excuse yourself to the current customer, and ask the new guy what he needs to know. Sometimes it is just a quick question like if you do something , or do you have a card? An assistant can help at a busy show.

Don't get discouraged. Some shows are slow for everybody, while you may make a killing at the next one.

If you go in with the attitude of having a bad show, you will have a bad show. To make it work, you have to work. If yo

u have someone who can be at the table, take the opportunity to get out, and talk with other dealers. Someone may need a holster, but can't get a way from their table. They may know someone who is looking for a custom holster, or a sling. You won't know unless you get out, and talk with them. Take plenty of cards to hand out.

Check the weather reports. Nasty weather = big crowds, fantastic weather=low turnout. At least that was the way it was in CA.

Good luck.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

Here are some observations from a guy who has been to a TON of gun shows over the past 30+ years, some as a buyer, some at a table.

Lobo, we had great food at some of the shows I attended. One promoter would hold a BBQ for the sellers on the night of the set up . Can't comment on the coffee, as the only coffee I drink is Kahlua. It is a good idea to bring a cooler though, a lot less expensive that way.

Engage the customer. Hi, how are you doing today? Or Anything special that you are looking for today? When I was selling tickets for my NRA grassroots group I always had the highest sales because I engaged the potential customers. Don't expect the product to sell itself, as it may look like everyone else's wares unless you let them know of the differences.

Scout the show to see what the competition has to offer, and what their prices are like.

Know the market at the show that you are attending. Is it mostly black guns, cowboy SASS stuff, hunting rigs, etc.. We had shows back home that had distinctions like this.

The shows I attended there were holsters, new and used, by the tote full on some tables from closed stores, dead inventory, etc. Some guys were selling new holsters for $5-$10. Even those were slow sellers, but they always had them out for sale at every show. The only holsters that I was ever looking for were original ones for military guns like Broomhandle Mausers, Steyr Hahns, Nambus, Lugers, P-38's, etc..

Do a distinctive table display. Have prices prominently displayed. No reason to have a guy who can only afford a $30 holster stop, and wait to ask you how much your $300 holsters are. Or, it may be the other way around where they think it must $300 because " if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it" when in fact it is only $30. Have a sign out mentioning handmade ,custom work accepted, or some other way to let the potential customer know what you do. One custom holster maker back home also offered leather repairs, and other leatherwork, as well as holsters.

If the seller was arrogant, or full of himself, I usually kept on walking. The guys who got my sale were the ones that came across as friendly, and were interested in making a sale. Over the years I developed some good friendships with some of the regular sellers.

Yep, most gun show guys are looking for a bargain, why else go to a gun show? You can pay retail anytime, why wait for a gun show to do so? This can be hard on the custom guy like you. A lot of guys are not thinking of buying custom items at a gun show, more like looking for an Uncle Mike's, Bianchi, Galati, etc. If it is a black gun show, Kydex, and Cordura are the norm.

Be there at door opening, and door closing times. I have passed many tables that were covered because the seller was tardy. Sundays are slow, and can pick up after church lets out. Be prepared to get the deal grabbers at the end of the show. I usually found great buys from guys looking to make table fee money, or didn't want to haul something back home.

Do not ignore people at the table. As they walk up acknowledge to them that you noticed them if you are talking with someone else. Then excuse yourself to the current customer, and ask the new guy what he needs to know. Sometimes it is just a quick question like if you do something , or do you have a card? An assistant can help at a busy show.

Don't get discouraged. Some shows are slow for everybody, while you may make a killing at the next one.

If you go in with the attitude of having a bad show, you will have a bad show. To make it work, you have to work. If yo

u have someone who can be at the table, take the opportunity to get out, and talk with other dealers. Someone may need a holster, but can't get a way from their table. They may know someone who is looking for a custom holster, or a sling. You won't know unless you get out, and talk with them. Take plenty of cards to hand out.

Check the weather reports. Nasty weather = big crowds, fantastic weather=low turnout. At least that was the way it was in CA.

Good luck.

Thanks for the informative post! Also thanks to everyone else who posted!