DavidL

Is It Just Me Or Is Ritza/tiger Thread Worse Than Tandy Thread?

I just received two .8 mm tiger thread in black and mid brown. Both of the threads have a few things that made the thread worse than tandy thread I have used in the past. First the black thread when put side by side had 3/4th the amount of thread of the black roll. The brown thread had problems with discolouration and there was different shades of brown throughout the thread (not that noticeable but not what I expected).

Is this how tiger thread is suppose to be for quality or did I receive some old stock of the thread?

Off topic but what spi are you using? could you post up a sample of the 0.8 mm once you've sewn with it? Thanks!\\

7 spi and the stitches come out rather nice, but the dye is inconsistent. Still a decent deal for 350m of thread for 24 cad. Il post a pic once I get my camera working.

New Tiger rolls are wrapped in plastic and have a green Tiger label or white small label on the outside. Does yours have this if not I'd say they are old stock, if they do the 350m one has been rewrapped as 0.8mm comes in 500m rolls only the bigger sizes from 1.4mm come in smaller lengths of 250m.

I've never had any problems with discolouration through out the thread and I've used a fair bit through most of the colours available so without seeing your photos at the moment I'd still go with that they are old stock.

Never used .8 mm (only 1mm) or brown (only black and white), but I don't plan on using anything else if at all possible. I love the stuff.

i used 1.4mm Tiger thread on the Field Notes case I made and i love it. so much better than that crappy stuff i got from tandy.

Going to use 1mm royal blue on my next item.

The only thing i don't love about the Tiger thread is that it is "flat". It may be .8 mm wide but the thickness is, easily, half that amount. It almost makes for a diamond shaped stitch...imo

i personally grown to like the thread, but for it to not twist is another thing to worry about while stitching. I received a reply from abbey england who originally sent me the thread and they said that the tension of the thread while it was being winded could have been tighter and make the thread seem like it is less than 500m. If they solve the problem I would encourage people to buy from them but if not I will shop somewhere else.

Not important, but has anyone order a new tiger thread and the end of the thread is not tied to the middle?

Off topic but what spi are you using? could you post up a sample of the 0.8 mm once you've sewn with it? Thanks!\\

I included a pic of 7 SPI

post-34060-0-88722100-1395863239_thumb.j

post-34060-0-09509300-1395863252_thumb.j

update-

Abbey England sent a reply saying they will send another roll out to me. Overall happy with the customer service and will but there again.

I've grown to like the thread, but i now have to check every thread so that the thread does not twist so that it lays flat.