Cameroo

Home Made Knife With Deer Rawhide Sheath

This is a knife and sheath I made recently for a Christmas present. I wanted the sheath to look "rustic". It is veg-tanned cowhide covered with some deer rawhide I made last fall. Just thought some of you might want to check it out.

P1040392s.jpg

P1040388s.jpg

Thats cool. It looks like its made of grass. Or bark. Its very organic.

Unique! Really neat. I take it the deer rawhide is the band across the top, with the rivet in it, and the belt loop. The veggie tan is the main body? How in the world did you get that texture and stain? Very cool.

Bill

Unique! Really neat. I take it the deer rawhide is the band across the top, with the rivet in it, and the belt loop. The veggie tan is the main body? How in the world did you get that texture and stain? Very cool.

Bill

Thanks. Actually everything you see is deer rawhide, even the lace was cut from the hide. The veg tan is totally covered. The band on the top is taken from a portion of the hide that was nearly transparent, and was put on grain or hair-side facing out. The rest of it was from a thicker portion of the hide, and was put on with the flesh side out, to give some contrast and different texture. It was colored a bit with some Eco-Flo antiquing gel, and then I rubbed some cooking oil into it just to help keep it from getting brittle over time. It was a fun little experiment. Really, I was just looking for something to do with the rawhide that I made, but I like how it turned out.