Frederiek

Guitar Strap Midgard Serpent'

Hi everyone,

This is my second guitar strap. I made it for a good friend of mine, who wanted to have one made by me but found the flowers a little bit unsuitable for his metal band performances ;-) So I tried a Norse/Celtic design and came up with this, a snake and knotwork.

Initial sketch:

design_zps33fd7476.jpg

Drying from tooling, unstaged but appropriate background with dragon egg, Game of Thrones and axe:

tussen_zpsfd1c9cfc.jpg

And the final result. Bloody difficult getting the strap in one nice picture. Not to indemnify, but the pics sure don't do the real thing much honour! The colours look a lot different out of the harsh sunlight. So you'll just have to take my word for it ;-)

11024x683_zpsc88d6ef4.jpg

21024x683_zps7bb47f6c.jpg

3683x1024_zpsa4a2a676.jpg

4633x1024_zpsd576f7c1.jpg

51024x684_zps3f6d0c1c.jpg

6683x1024_zpsbbf8ec5d.jpg

I can only see the many mistakes I made so I'm very curious about your opinions, any input is appreciated!

Frederiek

I have a feeling this section of the forum doesn't get a lot of visits...

A little tip...Put your new stuff in the "Show off!!" forum. Things will be moved after they've been there for a while to the right section by moderators :-)

Nice lookin' strap!!

Super cool!

I really like your design, it looks great.

You've balanced the design so well with the dragon on the front and the design running over the shoulder and down the back. A lot of thought went into the layout -- very well done!

Nice work. Flows very well.

Cool strap. I can just see that I would have been cussing a lot trying to figure out which color goes where on the "celtic knot" part of the dragon.

I have had to get creative on a few guitar straps because guys tell me they don't want a country/western or cowboy guitar strap. The first time someone asked me that, I hadn't realized that my guitar straps were "cowboy" guitar straps, I just thought that is how guitar straps were supposed to be made.

Edited by Colt W Knight

Thanks everyone, for your kind words!

Colt, I think the western style is sort of embedded in this craft. To me that is one of the things I find attractive about it, particularly florals and basketweaves. The association with country/western must have something to do with shared origins! Although I love the traditional designs I try to step out of the comfort zone so to say. I must confess that sometimes turns out disastrous, but that's part of the fun ;)

Frederiek if all you can see are the many 'flaws' I must be blind. I think it's a beautiful strap, very intricate and visually interesting. A beautiful strap.

Frederick, Im afraid I'll need to side with Cheryl ,

I see no flaws at all, but I also see where your coming from,

Im my most valuable critic. and Im hard on myself.

Thought out, Design, Exicution. looks flawless. you've nailed this piece !