NOLARedBeans

Removing Dark Stains From Smooth Saddle Leather

Hey Guys,

I have been enjoying the forum for the past few weeks and this is my first post. I have just acquired a wonderful Frecker's smoothout Wade saddle (except for the fenders that have been narrowed and cut towards the seat by the previous owner...aaaargh!) and I am wondering if there is a way to remove some of the dark staining from use on the cantle, fenders, flat plat area of skirt and various other places or if this is for the most part permanent. Attached are a couple of pics and thanks for the help.

Any thoughts on the cut fenders also appreciated. How much do you think it devalues and would it be possible or worh it to try and have some remade to original spec? I know the color and leather match could only be approximate from rest of saddle.

post-38392-0-86349100-1359057559_thumb.j

post-38392-0-18570400-1359057819_thumb.j

The marks you see are mostly burnishing marks from friction. That is just a fact of using a saddle and it shows a little more on smooth leather. If the saddle is a user and the fender cuts allow a great range of motion, to some guys the cosmetics of the cuts wouldn't bother them at all. If you want them replaced the costs kind of depend on where you are and who does it. The beadline isn't hard to duplicate. Replacement fenders start from $150 up to $350 depending on the shop.