Beaverslayer

Beaverslayer Hat Tutorial

Just after joining this forum, a few of you had sent me PM's asking for a hat pattern, I appologize to all of you for not sending them. But, as they say patience is virtue and here we have what you were looking for.

Well as promised, now that Wolvie ahs gotten his PIF from me (although he hasn't posted pics) here's the way I make my Canadian "Kempi" style hat. Everything is the same to make a typical baseball style hat, you just use a diferent pattern for the pieces.

If you are wanting to make a baseball cap using this tutorial and do not have a pattern, well, see that old ball cap up there on the shelf in the front hall closet???? take it, and cut it apart at the seams. When you lay the pieces out, DO NOT include the extra they have for sewing machine stitching, this will just make a HUGE hat. Trace each piece out onto your poster board ( you only have to do 3 pieces from one side) and there you have it, a hat pattern.

I spent quite a bit of time making a hat, ball cap, then cutting it apart where I thought it would look just right, re-making patterns, and this is the way I got the Kempi style hat from.

Well here goes, hope you all like the tutorial and hope you can use it to make your own hat.

Once you have your pattern and all your pieces layed out, I kind of dry fir them just to make sure they all fit fairly good.

hat_pieces.jpg

Now, just like we did with the back liner of the vest, we apply a bead of glue to the outer edge of each piece.

Mesh_Glue_1.jpg

Then, laying it onto the nylon mesh, we press it in place being sure not to stretch it. hen using your roller, roll the edges real well to seal the bond.

Mesh_Glue_2.jpg

What I do is to glue all the pieces, to the mesh, then cut them out from there.

Mesh_Glue_3.jpg

Here's all the pieces ready for assembly.

Mesh_Glue_4.jpg

post-1605-1208671935_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208671951_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208671960_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208671969_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208671978_thumb.jpg

As we did with the edge glueing on the vest, here we do the same thing. Apply a small bead og glue to the "Edge" of the 2 front pieces, using your fingertips, press the 2 pieces together starting at the top. As you join the 2 pieces, kind of curl them to help them conform to the shape they will end up as. Using your finger nails, press the seam together to make a good bond. Sorry I don't have a picture of this, as it takes at least one hand to run the camera nad two hands to show you what I mean. Pretend you are pinching a zit, would be about the best way I could describe this.

Seam_Glue_Curl.jpg

Now on the backside, apply a bead of glue a bit less than 1/2" wide down the middle of the seam. Also apply glue to a strip of pigskin suede that is precut 1/2" wide.

Seam_Glue_Strip_1.jpg

Once the glue has become tacky on the mesh (this takes a bit longer than the pigskin) press the strip onto the seam, and roll with your roller. If your glue hasn't had time to tack up, you will see the glue seeping out from the sides of the strip, and also from the front of the seam.

Seam_Glue_Strip_2.jpg

Continue on with the rest of the pieces until you are ready to attach the two backs together. Before we do this, we want to mark and punch the holes, as it it easier when it can lay out flat like this.

All_Seams_Glued_1.jpg

Here's the inside lined look.

All_Seams_Glued_2.jpg

post-1605-1208672270_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208672281_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208672290_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208672305_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208672312_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beaverslayer

To make the brim I use 7/8 oz veg tan leather. I will soak it in hot water until it is fairly saturated, then curl it and tie it with a piece of lace. Don't tie it tight, as we don't want to leave any marks, just enough to hold the shape. Once this is dried, naturally.....DO NOT MICROWAVE..... you will have a brim that will have a nice curve to it, and that will stay this way for many years.

Brim_Form.jpg

You also want to cut the brim liner from pigskin suede. Cut the liner 1/2" wider as shown here in the picture.

Brim_Liner.jpg

Should you want the brim to be covered with another type of leather, once it is dried, just cut and glue a piece onto the top of the veg tan. This hat will have a dyed brim so no covering leather.

post-1605-1208672994_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208673002_thumb.jpg

I mark the holes, starting at the bottom of each seam. Measure up 1/8" and then 3/8" from then on. A closer distance will give you a tighter lace look, and a wider distance is not recommended.

Hole_Marks.jpg

Now punch all the holes 1/4" on eather side of the seam, excluding the back seam. I punch holes 1 size smaller than the lace I am using.

Hole_Punch.jpg

Once you've punched all the holes, then you can glue the back seam together and punch those holes as well. Be carefull that the rest of the hat is not being punched as you do the back seam, I know this can happen, then it's the scrap bin.

Back_Glue.jpg

post-1605-1208673393_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208673402_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208673414_thumb.jpg

This next step is not necesary if making a typical ball cap. This is only done on this style, or if you are wanting to do something like this.

Cut a strip of pigskin suede that is 3/8" wider than th etop piece, and cut the centre of it out 3/8" as well.

Top_Strip.jpg

Apply a bead of glue to the edge of your top piece, and all around the inner edge of the hole in the top of the hat. Turn the hat inside out, and with the front facing you. Align the centre of the top piece with the centre of the front seam and press into place.

Top_Strip_Glue_1.jpg

Then on the back, do the same by aligning the centre of the back of the top piece with the centre of the back seam and press into place.

Top_Strip_Glue_2.jpg

Now carefully place and press the rest of the top piece into place, being careful not to pull or stretch it and distort the shape of the hat. Again using the zit squeeze technique, seal this seam.

Top_Strip_Glue_3.jpg

Then like when you glued the strip to each side seam, apply glue to the inner hat around the top piece, and also on the oval ahaped pigskin strip. Carefully set this strip in place, and press down. You want to roll this one REAL good with your roller in as many directions as you can think of.

Top_Strip_Glue_4.jpg

Here's the top piece in place.

Top_In_Place.jpg

post-1605-1208673737_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208673750_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208673757_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208673765_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208673773_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208673784_thumb.jpg

Okay, before I forget, cause I just realized I did, if your doing a hat like this, mark and punch the holes in your top piece at 1/4" spacings BEFORE you glue it into the hat.

Now that the top piece is glued in, we can use the holes that are already in it as our guide to punch the other holes. You will also have to re-punch the top piece holes as they were covered up when we put the pigskin strip on to seal the seam.

Top_Holes.jpg

Lace the seam up doing just a simple crossover style lacing. Again only use about an arms length of lace, as you don't want it to get all tangled and worn before you finish the seam. Splicing the new lace in is a simple thing to do, it's shown in the vest tutorial so I won't repost those pics.

Top_Lace.jpg

post-1605-1208674399_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208674408_thumb.jpg

If you are going to cover the brim with another leather rather than dye it like I am, nows the time to do this.

On the inner edge of the brim, mark 1/2' from the edge all the way around the inner edge.

Brim_Skive_1.jpg

Using a sharp knife, skive this marked area out so that it is 1/2 the thickness of the rest of the brim. We do this so that when we lace the brim to the hat. it's not all big and bulky at the point where your forehead is going to be all day long.

Brim_Skive_2.jpg

Now apply a bead of glue to this inner edge of the brim, and also along the front of the hat from the centre to the first seam on the sides. Starting in the middle of the brim (yes I forgot to tell you to mark the middle and the holes. The holes are 1/4" spacing, starting in the MIDDLE and working your way out to the edge...SORRY)

Starting in the middle of the brim, press the brim together at the centre of the front of the hat. Work your way from one side to the other, try to make it so that the brim and the hat leather are even on the outside not the inside.

Brim_Glue_1.jpg

Brim_Glue_2.jpg

Now apply a bead of glue to the inner seam on the brim and the hat, also apply glue to a strip of pigskin long enough to go from one side to the other. Extra is good, just trim later. Brim_Glue_3.jpg

Press the strip onto the seam, and roll this one REAL good.

Brim_Glue_4.jpg

Now, you can punch those holes I forgot to tell you to mark before. Punch both the hat side and the brim side, with about 1/8" space from the centre of the seam or as close as you can to the edge of the hat and brim.

Brim_Holes.jpg

post-1605-1208674748_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208674755_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208674763_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208674770_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208674777_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208674784_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208674794_thumb.jpg

Start to lace the seams of the hat on the front seam at the bottom closest to the brim. Cut your lace 6 times the length of these seams, this will give you enough fro the seam and to hide the tail in the top piece lacing.

Front_Seam_Lace.jpg

Making note of which hole you start your lace in (I usually start on the backside of the seam, second hole up) as we want to do the same on all the seams to keep them all looking the same.

Side_Seam_Lace_1.jpg

Carry on with each seam, again starting in the same hole as you did the last one. The front and back seams do not matter if they match, but the sides do.

Side_Seam_Lace_2.jpg

This bottom seam is only going to be on this style of hat, it will not be on a typical ball cap. But if you do do something like this, again make note of the starting hole so both sides will look the same.

Side_Seam_Lace_3.jpg

You can see that the seams and lace direction are the same on both sides. They tend to slant towards the back of the hat.

Side_Seam_Lace_4.jpg

post-1605-1208675654_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208675662_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208675671_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208675679_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208675687_thumb.jpg

I make straps out of 1 to 2 oz veg tan. Cut the belt one 5" long, and the buckle one 3" long. Using a 1/2" buckle (Tandy item number 1537-00 I've found these to be the best) Make a small hole in the centre of the buckle strap for the pin. Fold the strap in half and rivet it together just behind the buckle. Also make 2 holes to attach the strap to the hat.

The belt part of the strap, punch 2 holes to attach to the hat, and also 5 or six holes 3/8" apart for adjusting. I've never really made these holes in any particular spot. I've searched high and low for any info on what 7 7/8 hat size actually means and what this would do to the hole spacing and have not found anything that tells me. I did find that 3/8" spacing works best though.

Adjustment_Strap_1.jpg

Now make 4 small grommets from the same leather you've made the straps, just like the ones shown here.

Adjustment_Strap_Grommets.jpg

Using rivets, getting fancy ones if you so desire, attach the straps to the back of the hat, placing the grommets on the inside as shown. Agin, I have not used any real measurement for this, just what looks right to my eye. I do leave enough room for the edge lace that we will be doing a bit later on though.

Adjustment_Strap_2.jpg

Here's the strap attached.

Adjustment_Strap_3.jpg

post-1605-1208676122_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208676136_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208676144_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208676152_thumb.jpg

Cut a strip of pigskin suede 2 1/4" wide by about 24" long. Apply glue to the entire underside (not the suede side) Fold in half and press together. Then roll this folded strip with your roller.

Sweat_Band_1.jpg

Here's the sweat band ready to go.

Sweat_Band_2.jpg

post-1605-1208676897_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208676905_thumb.jpg

Now apply a bead of glue to the INSIDE half of the brim strip as shown in the picture. DO NOT apply glu to the are with the holes punched on the actual brim.

Brim_Liner_Glue_1.jpg

Apply a bead of glue about 1/2" wide to the inside edge of the brim liner. Make sure you are apply it to the underside of the suede.

Brim_Liner_Glue_2.jpg

Fold the liner in half, and press the middle of the iner to the middle of the hat. Then workoing your way to the outer edge, then the same on the other side. You only want to glue the liner to the hat, NOT the brim itself.

Brim_Liner_Glue_3.jpg

Now take your modeling tool, and press the entire seam, you want to be able to see the skived area of the brim on the inside of the hat as shown here.

Brim_Liner_Edging.jpg

Now, apply a bead of glue to this pressed down area as shown in the picture. Make the bead go just past the first row of lacing.

Sweat_Band_Glue_1.jpg

Apply a bead of glue to the "cut" edge of the sweat band the same length as the bead you just put on the hat. I fold the sweat band and mark the middle, then apply glue outwards from there.

Sweat_Band_Glue_2.jpg

Fold the sweat band in half, and press it unto the hat at the centre of the hat. Make sure that it lays right up against the indented area from the modeling spoon. Work your way outwards pressing the sweat band into place. Now rollthis seam with your roller.

Sweat_Band_Glue_3.jpg

Here's what it should look like when properly in place.

Sweat_Band_Glue_4.jpg

post-1605-1208677095_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208677103_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208677111_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208677121_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208677131_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208677138_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208677147_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208677156_thumb.jpg

You now have to re-punch the holes that are on the hat, NOT the brim. Just punch the holes as shown by the needle in this picture. YOU DO NOT PUNCH THE BRIM HOLES. Be careful that the brim liner is pukked out of the way, sometimes if your not doing this right, the brim liner will be under the holes you are punching, then you have to redo the liner.

Front_Holes_Punch.jpg

Here's what the inside edge of the hat should look like with the holes punched.

Front_Holes_Inside.jpg

And here's what the brim looks like under the liner.

Front_Holes_Under_Brim.jpg

post-1605-1208677805_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208677814_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208677820_thumb.jpg

Start by running your lace under about 4 or 5 stitches up from the bottom on the centre seam as shown here.

Brim_Lace_1.jpg

Then, cross over to the brim side, and into the second hole from centre, and run your lace through. This lace should be 7 times the length of this seam.

Brim_Lace_2.jpg

On the inside, run your needle into the centre hole as shown here, pull through and tight.

Brim_Lace_3.jpg

Then across to the second hole on the hat side. This hole already has the lace from the front seam in it, pull through and tight.

Brim_Lace_4.jpg

On the inside, run your needle back into the centre hole, pull the lace through and tight. The lacing on the brim we want to do as tightly as we can to give it as much strength and sturdyness as possible.

Brim_Lace_5.jpg

To finish the seam off and hide the tail, just run your needle up under the side lace as far as you can and pull tight and then snip it off. Tuck any overhang under the lace.

Brim_Lace_End.jpg

You can see here that we only have one row of the lace seam showing on the inside of the hat. This will not be a bother to the old noggin while wearing it.

Brim_Lace_Inside.jpg

The otherside of the seam is going to be hidden under the brim liner.

Brim_Lace_Under.jpg

Here's what the brim lacing should look like once completed.

Finished_Brim.jpg

post-1605-1208678066_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208678074_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208678082_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208678090_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208678097_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208678106_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208678115_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208678127_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208678136_thumb.jpg

Apply glue to the brim and also the liner, let this get tacky before moving on.

Brim_Liner_Final_Glue_1.jpg

Giving the liner a bit of a tug, just a bit, pull it towards the front of the brim and press it to the brim at the centre only. Next, again with a bit of a tug, pull each side of the liner to the outer edge and press to the brim.

Once you've done the above two steps, then you can slowly work the rest of the liner and press and roll it to the brim. Be carefull not to get any wrinkles in it, as you will not get them out, and replacing the liner at this stage is going to take a lot of work.

Brim_Liner_Final_Glue_2.jpg

Now cut the extra liner off.

Brim_Liner_Final_Glue_3.jpg

Here's what you should have at this stage.

Brim_Liner_Final_Glue_4.jpg

post-1605-1208678740_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208678747_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208678754_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208678762_thumb.jpg

If you want, this is when you put the hat band on. You can be as imaginative as you want, snake skins, shark, bone beads, what ever you desire. I attach mine with the same rivets as I use to attach the adjustment strap.

Hat_Band_1.jpg

Now we want to finish glueing in the sweat band. Run a bead of glue all along the remaining edge of the inside of the hat, and also all the way along the edge of the sweat band as shown, Then press and roll together and trim off the extra at the back of the hat.

Sweat_Band_Final_Glue_1.jpg

post-1605-1208679202_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208679211_thumb.jpg

Start marking your holes for the edge lacing at the start of the extra side lace seam. On a typical ball cap, I start my hole marking 1" from the centre of the back at the top of the curved area. The first set of holes will be punched using a four pronged chisel punch, as we only do a real simple loop through fro the first bit. This helps the hat bend right when adjusting to smaller heads.

Edge_Hole_Marks_1.jpg

Mark your holes 1/4" apart all the way around the edge of the hat, including the brim as well. You'll notice in this picture, the last hole before the brim is kind of in a precarious place. When it comes time to punch this hole, just move it up a bit, then punch 1 hole right in the centre of the brim and hat seam.

Edge_Hole_Marks_2.jpg

Here's all the holes punched. If you look closely, you can see what I mean by the hole punched precariously and in the middle of the seam. You also want to punch these holes a bit under 1/4" from the edge, about 3/16".

Edge_Holes_Punched.jpg

Starting in the back, run your lace down under the back seam. Then using the slotted holes just loop it through until you reach your round holes. From here carry on doing the Mexican Round braid. Again, only an arms length of lace. If you notice your lace wearing out before your ready to splice, splice it anyways, this will make sure the lace looks uniform all the way around.

Edge_Lacing_Start.jpg

When you get to the corners just behind the straps, nip a bit of the corner off, this will help you to make a clean and good looking corner.

Corner_Nip.jpg

This is what the lacing should look like on the back with the looping lace at the beginning and end of the run. Once you reach the end, just run your lace tail back up under the back seam and cut off.

Adjustment_Hole_Lace.jpg

post-1605-1208679484_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208679493_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208679502_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208679510_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208679531_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208679538_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beaverslayer

And here you have it, the finished hat, especially made for my good friend Wolvenstien, for the last Paying it Forward. Hope you all like it and that the tutorial helps you. If you have any questions, please ask, I'll be more than happy to answer.

Finished_Hat_3.jpg

Finished_Hat_2.jpg

Finished_Hat_1.jpg

Ken

post-1605-1208680837_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208680844_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1208680851_thumb.jpg

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Ken, that is a terrific tutorial. You've laid out the steps very clearly, and that makes it wonderfully easy to follow. It'll be a while to do it, but I'll be using this for a hat before too long.

Thanks for sharing your skills.

Mike

Neat tutorial, Beaver! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. Learned a few things with this and I sure am glad about it because it opens up even more possibilities. It's just plain amazing what one can do with leather.

Where do you get the mesh? Fabric store?

hi beaver you rock wicked :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::rockon:

how do do the lacing plz coooooooool dude walletman (bob) once again wicked hat nice tutorial

That tutorial was incredible. Very easy to follow. :You_Rock_Emoticon: Guess you could make a hole for an old pony tail? Would like to make one for the old hubby, but he has a very long old pony tail.

Thanks so much for your generous sharing. Linda That hat is soooooo cool I would wear one!

Great lesson, I think it is time to print them up as instruction booklets and sell them thru tandy and such. Wonderful looking hat.,and vest in the other tutorial. All that lacing is intimidating, one wrist band and my fingers ache for days.

Thats a wonderful job. Im so glad I ran across this forum. The talent here is remarkable. What a cool idea to do a hat.

Your tutorial rockk Beaver.

Very easy to follow and I love the the end product with the laced details...Great cap :clapping:

Johanna, how about making a special place for all the tutorials, now the're all ove the place?

Edited by Tina

Another fantastic tutorial Ken. I'm going to be saving this one and give it a try very soon. Many thanks!!