George B

World's Ugliest Holster...at Least My World.

No idea what happened but everything happened wrong.

Herman Oak natural leather and Fiebing's Golden Oak stain.

Leather turned out looking like it was drug underneath a caterpillar D-9 dozer.

Pock marks with ostrich like dimples and splotchy dye.

Sprayed on the stain and everything went south upon wetting to form.

Made the customer another from W&C russet.

Was not going to finish this holster but there is someone out there that will want this "Ugly Duckling".

post-18937-0-32517400-1414615736_thumb.j

post-18937-0-92269600-1414615753_thumb.j

Don't look that bad to me.

It's not that bad. Certainly serviceable. Put it in the bargain basement.

No bargain basement needed, hit it with some brown antique paste or brown dye job can easily become black dye job.

George,

I commend you on your quality standards. Rejecting substandard work keeps people coming back. If you sell bad work it becomes the standard to judge you by.

Aaron

Is that a 17? I take it you dont have one of those, whre you could just use it yerself...

have you sealed the leather yet?

It looks pretty good to me too George. Funny how everybody sees things differently. Some folks think they have top tier stuff but I see junk, then you come along and call this the "world's ugliest" and I think it looks pretty dang good. :cowboy:

Unless something isn't right with the form and function that doesn't show up in the pictures I'd call it "distressed" and raise the price $15. It'd probably be the next one to go out the door.

Best regards,

Josh

I guess this is one of those cases where the camera makes it look better than it should.

If I had a G17 or 22 I would use it but I don't.

I did throw it on ETSY with the title "Ugly Duckling" at a discount due to the finish.

Customer very happy with the replacement I made him and had a good laugh when he saw the reject.

Said he felt so sorry for it he was tempted to buy it just so it had a home.

And yes, there is someone out there who will want this because it is different. That's why I'll sell it. Everything else came out good except for the finish so I have no worries about the quality of the leather or the build.

I'll hang it from my sign display at the next gun show, someone will say, "hey how much?"

I'll ask them what they'll give me and it will find a home.

At least I'll get a good laugh out of it.

An airbrush and dark brown dye and it would make great "fade" project. The holster looks very good.

I had a couple holsters, that due to poor casing process, I didn't like the final product. I've used the holster a lot and several people have thought they looked great. Sometimes I believe we become over hard on ourselves if the end project doesn't meet our expectations.

My first instinct would be that you "hung" it after you sprayed it, . . .

I always lay my holsters down flat after dying, . . . otherwise I get exactly what you got, . . . light on the top, . . . dark on the bottom where the stain migrated.

I learned about that several years ago, . . . made a bunch of belts, . . . all the same day, . . . had my brain dis-engaged, . . . only the black ones were up to par. All the brown ones were very dark at the buckle end, . . . light at the tongue end, . . . cause that was the way I hung them when I drug em through the dye tank.

I'd just dye it black, . . . put a coat of Resolene on it and sell it, . . . it should look real good then.

May God bless,

Dwight

I had one come out similar a while back. But I kind of mottle my browns anyway, I like the extra character of it. But every little nick, bug bite, weird spot, and dimple took the dye darker. Looked freckled. It was for a buddy so I just walked it over to his place. He loved it. lol