jk215

Options For English Bridle Leather In U.s.?

Im looking for English Bridle Leather, preferably backs. Ive been doing my research and come across a few websites (some were terribly uninformative) but so far it seems my best option is Wickett & Craig. Id prefer the steer and dyeing process to be done in the USA. Willing to pay the extra $ that may entail. I know this is a pretty old school industry and some places may not have websites. Any help is appreciated!

Edited by jk215

I believe Weaver offers English bridle leather, but I'm not exactly sure if it is processed here in the US. I was just at the Hide House in Northern CA and I know they carry bridle leather but I don't know if they carry English.

The ones that come to mind now:

USA:

Wickett & Craig

Maverick leather

RJFLeather

Siegel (carries Sedgwick bridle)

Hermann Oak - But cant remember who carries them

UK:

Abbeysaddlery (Sedgwick)

J & FJ Baker

Im looking for English Bridle Leather, preferably backs. Ive been doing my research and come across a few websites (some were terribly uninformative) but so far it seems my best option is Wickett & Craig. Id prefer the steer and dyeing process to be done in the USA. Willing to pay the extra $ that may entail. I know this is a pretty old school industry and some places may not have websites. Any help is appreciated!

Wickett & Craig is good. If you want US steer and US tanned, I think the only options you have are Hermann Oak and Wickett & Craig (although I think W&C steers may be Canadian. Not sure how much that matters to you). As far as I know, these are the only two tanneries left in the US that does vegetable tanned leather in the "bridle" type formulation.

Hermann Oak has a great reputation but they have large minimum orders so it's hard for us little guys to buy direct. You can buy from a distributor (Weaver and others listed above) but they only have certain thicknesses and colors. The nice thing about buying from W&C is that you can get all their colors and (for a fee) they will split the side down to the thickness you want and refinish the flesh side if desired. There's also no minimums buying from them.

If you are not completely married to the idea of "english bridle" leather, you can check out Horween. Not sure what you are planning on using the leather for. They do some 100% US processed veg tan leathers that are pretty interesting. They have something called the Tannery Row now that sells their stuff to small guys as well. Might be work considering.

Andrew

I buy all mine from American Leather Direct. They have US hides tanned in Mexico. Have bought from them for many years. Try www.aleatherd.com ask for Bo. Great quality & priced right. These folks will treat you right. Last time I contacted Weaver they only sell wholesale if you do $10,000. 00 per year. I bought from them years ago but will not again.

AS far as I know, the only co. in the US that has English bridle leather is Booth and Co.

Kevin

Wickett & Craig is good. If you want US steer and US tanned, I think the only options you have are Hermann Oak and Wickett & Craig (although I think W&C steers may be Canadian. Not sure how much that matters to you). As far as I know, these are the only two tanneries left in the US that does vegetable tanned leather in the "bridle" type formulation.

Hermann Oak has a great reputation but they have large minimum orders so it's hard for us little guys to buy direct. You can buy from a distributor (Weaver and others listed above) but they only have certain thicknesses and colors. The nice thing about buying from W&C is that you can get all their colors and (for a fee) they will split the side down to the thickness you want and refinish the flesh side if desired. There's also no minimums buying from them.

If you are not completely married to the idea of "english bridle" leather, you can check out Horween. Not sure what you are planning on using the leather for. They do some 100% US processed veg tan leathers that are pretty interesting. They have something called the Tannery Row now that sells their stuff to small guys as well. Might be work considering.

Andrew

Hi: Just want to throw my ten cents worth in: you can buy one side of leather from Hermann-oak but, you have to payan"up charge" of fifty cents a sq.foot . They don't broadcast this as they don't like to do too much of it. Also, the Hide House has their bridle for $120.00 per side in two colors and one weight which is 10-12 oz. , I believe. I bought a side and it's great. Siegel has been out of business now for about six months. If you want "real" English bridle then call Ken Chapman at Booth and Company in Peabody ,Ma. 978 531 3730. Be sure to be seated when you get pricing!!! By the way, what are you crafting? Tackman

Hi: Just want to throw my ten cents worth in: you can buy one side of leather from Hermann-oak but, you have to payan"up charge" of fifty cents a sq.foot . They don't broadcast this as they don't like to do too much of it. Also, the Hide House has their bridle for $120.00 per side in two colors and one weight which is 10-12 oz. , I believe. I bought a side and it's great. Siegel has been out of business now for about six months. If you want "real" English bridle then call Ken Chapman at Booth and Company in Peabody ,Ma. 978 531 3730. Be sure to be seated when you get pricing!!! By the way, what are you crafting? Tackman

Interesting. Will they also split the leather and refinish the flesh side? Might be worth considering if they do.

Andrew

DIdnt know that about Hermann-oak thanks! I will be starting with belts. Practiced on tooling leather but wont be doing any tooling or dyeing so it seems like the best (and expensive) option.

Interesting. Will they also split the leather and refinish the flesh side? Might be worth considering if they do.

Andrew

The Hide House will not, I specifically asked about that when I was there recently. If you haven't have been there yet, as I see your in the Bay Area, I highly suggest you visit their warehouse in Napa. Once you set up an account you can call in your order and if you order early enough in the day you can ussually receive it within one business day without any additional shipping charges, b/c your in the bay area. That can definately save you some time and gas.

I buy all mine from American Leather Direct. They have US hides tanned in Mexico. Have bought from them for many years. Try www.aleatherd.com ask for Bo. Great quality & priced right. These folks will treat you right. Last time I contacted Weaver they only sell wholesale if you do $10,000. 00 per year. I bought from them years ago but will not again.

I don't know how long ago you contacted Weaver, but they will sell to anyone with a business license, not matter how small. They have a $250 minimum on your first order, but after that there is no min. I buy from them often, and I assure you I do nowhere near $10,000.00 per year. I have found them to be great to deal with.

Edited by evandailey