edd

Tips For Stitching Around English-Point Strap Ends?

I've been making a few watch straps recently and have been struggling to achieve consistent looking stitches around the curved point at the end of the strap.

I'm using a compass to scribe a line around the edge and then using a 9spi 2-tooth pricking iron for marking around the curve . Obviously any slight deviation in the stitch spacing or angle is very noticeable. Are there any good tips for getting a nice, neat line of stitching around tight curves like this or is it simply a matter of practice?

Thanks

Edd

In one of Nigel Armitage's videos he mentions to use a hole at a corner so that your thread hinges at that point. I would imagine this would be a pretty good idea for the tip of an english point as well. I don't remember exactly which video it was, but they're all worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8urn9l3pybW5LztUa6zbOA

Thanks for that. I watched all of Nigel's videos a while back and they helped a lot. Using a hole to hinge off at corners is a good technique but it didn't look quite right in this case.

I just made a whole pile of strap ends and spent a few hours laying out stitches. Working back from the apex, taking care to mark around the curves so the stitches line through evenly on either side has made a big improvement. Still not perfect but i guess there's no substitue for plain old practice.

A roller guide should help with that.