Boriqua

Can I Free Items I Already Glued Together

I dont know what I was thinking .. or I wasnt .. but I have two small straps that I glued together. I forgot to set a snap between the layers and want to pull part of these straps apart. When I worked in a wood shop we were able to use a heatgun to loosen the laminate so we could get in behind it with lacquer thinner. Can I heat these straps to soften the cement some and pull it apart?

Alex

Edited by Boriqua

try using either dye reducer or thinner, if you use Barges cement the dye reducer will work and I havent tried it but i would assume the Barges thinner would also. I used to work in a cabinet shop years ago and we used reducer on the contact cement to take off the formica sheets if they werent lined up correctly on the counter tops or cabinets. Just use an acid brush or even a paint brush.

try using either dye reducer or thinner, if you use Barges cement the dye reducer will work and I havent tried it but i would assume the Barges thinner would also. I used to work in a cabinet shop years ago and we used reducer on the contact cement to take off the formica sheets if they werent lined up correctly on the counter tops or cabinets. Just use an acid brush or even a paint brush.

I can lift a corner so if I just go in there with a small paint brush with dye reducer I should be able to free it. Now if a drop gets on the leather will I still be able to dye the leather after without having marks where the reducer may hoave gone?

Thanks!

Alex

You should be able to but if you arent sure you can get some leather bleach from springfield leather and that should solve that problem.