dbusarow

Cover saddle swell

A friend of ours owns a stable that runs the local Special Riders club for handicapped kids. All of the tack is donated and most is pretty cheap.

She just asked me to fix the swell covers on a cordura saddle, the "leather" got chewed on by another horse :) It's actually naugahyde, or maybe just black plastic sheet, and he ripped a couple of chunks off. The swells themselves are fine, although they do appear to be made from some pressed wood concoction.

Now someday I will want to learn how to do this (and the rest of a saddle) correctly. But for now I'm looking for suggestions on some EASY method to recover the swells just to make them look nice.

The only reason she wants to do this is that the saddle itself is in pretty good shape for what it is and she needs this saddle to look good so the kid who uses it will like it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Easy way to cover swells? Well I will be waiting on that responce also. But from someone who has done quite a few of these, none are easy. The wade trees seem to be the easy ones as the swells are not very big, like an old A-fork. But the larger style like the bowman style does take some nack, patients, skill and a little good luck mixed in.

There is no better way to learn than to just jump in with both feet and get r done.

Randy

Now someday I will want to learn how to do this (and the rest of a saddle) correctly. But for now I'm looking for suggestions on some EASY method to recover the swells just to make them look nice.

The only reason she wants to do this is that the saddle itself is in pretty good shape for what it is and she needs this saddle to look good so the kid who uses it will like it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

I read this post last night and did not answer because there is no easy way if you have never done it! So the next best thing (like Randy said) just jump in, but first there are some info you need. A "how to book" is the biggest help with no one local to ask or show you. I can make copies of the "covering the swell" pages of a couple of books I have for you (pm me if you want that info).

Next post some pictures of the saddle, so we can see what swell is on it. If you feel confident enough, start pulling up the swell cover (maybe use it for a rough pattern) and post pictures of that.

Once some of that info is posted, weight of leather, process to begin, ect. Can be recommended.

"It ain't rocket science, it's just dead animal flesh" :deadsubject:

Rick J.

Dan,

I read this post last night and did not answer because there is no easy way if you have never done it! So the next best thing (like Randy said) just jump in, but first there are some info you need. A "how to book" is the biggest help with no one local to ask or show you. I can make copies of the "covering the swell" pages of a couple of books I have for you (pm me if you want that info).

PM on the way.

Next post some pictures of the saddle, so we can see what swell is on it. If you feel confident enough, start pulling up the swell cover (maybe use it for a rough pattern) and post pictures of that.

Once some of that info is posted, weight of leather, process to begin, ect. Can be recommended.

I'll do that later this morning.

I should probably rephrase my question though.

Does anyone have an out of the ordinary way to cover swells. For example one of the things I thought of was using mule hide wrap. Then I modified that to light weight latigo so the color and finish are nicer.

Any comments on the wrap idea? Or a better one?

Rick, I do want to see the material on how it should be done. And Randy, yes, I may just dive in and do it for the learing experience. But only if I have to :)

"It ain't rocket science, it's just dead animal flesh"

Great quote Rick.

Thanks,

Dan

If you can find a similar "synthetic leather" material (maybe something for upholestery), i would remove the old swell cover, hoping the glue was not too hard, unstitch the welt, then trace the pattern on the new fabric, stitch, then install them. Should not be as hard as leather to install. Since it is not a leather saddle, i dont see the need to have it upgrade.

You could maybe install oval patches with round nails too over the old cover? Like they put on the swell when worn.

If you can find a similar "synthetic leather" material (maybe something for upholestery), i would remove the old swell cover, hoping the glue was not too hard, unstitch the welt, then trace the pattern on the new fabric, stitch, then install them. Should not be as hard as leather to install. Since it is not a leather saddle, i dont see the need to have it upgrade.

Pella, you make it sound so easy :)

You could maybe install oval patches with round nails too over the old cover? Like they put on the swell when worn.

I've never seen that. Could you point me somewhere that has pictures of this? Neatly done patches would work.

Thanks,

Dan

i find a picture of a saddle, you can see a patch on the swell extremity. It look nice with the round head brass escutcheron nails. Wet the leather to form it on the swell. I seen some with scalopped edge, look nice.

The saddle you have is probably made with an "easy" to cover (bowman style fork) swell ? As they are intended to be cheap, they make it easy to cover i guess. I have a wintec here, and the welt go up to the top of the swell, almost to the horn, so it is stitched "shaped to the swell" so you dont have to make much stretching like with leather. On mine, the gullet cover it stitched with the swell cover, and staple under.

You take the original to make a template so it should be relatively easy.

Thanks for the photo Pella. That might work for the bit marks, and even for the gullet.

rickybobby, here are the pictures you asked for.

The swell shape swellshape.jpg

The bite marks

bitemarks.jpg

And the gullet

bottomofgullet.jpg

Thanks for all your ideas guys.

Dan

Just to close this topic here's a picture of the repair.

Many thanks to pella for her suggestion on the patches. I think it came out rather well. 6/7 oz veg tan with vinagaroon and oil finish.

after.jpg

Also thanks to rickybobby for the copies showing how to cover a swell. Next time!

Dan

Just to close this topic here's a picture of the repair.

Many thanks to pella for her suggestion on the patches. I think it came out rather well. 6/7 oz veg tan with vinagaroon and oil finish.

Also thanks to rickybobby for the copies showing how to cover a swell. Next time!

Dan

Dan,

Great job, that cover was not as bad as I thought so this was an excellent way to go. Looks good, done on both sides, "looks like it was supposed to be like that !! "

Take care, thanks for posting the final repair!

Rick Jorgenson

As I was reading I was going to suggest something along those lines, but you beat me to it. I think it turned out well, and it's really a good way to do that type of repair on a saddle that wouldn't be worth putting the money into a complete new fork cover. I bet the customer was happy with it.