rickeyfro

Lacing Calculator

I know I saw an on line lacing calculator somewhere, one that tells how much lace is needed for a project, does anyone know where I can find that?

There's one here on the forum for free. I'll see if I can find it real quick.

I found that one but it tells how big a circle of material you need to cut a certain amount of lace, i was trying to find one that would tell you how much finished lace is needed for a certain distance of lacing

I found that one but it tells how big a circle of material you need to cut a certain amount of lace, i was trying to find one that would tell you how much finished lace is needed for a certain distance of lacing

Is that even possible?

Would you not need all the variables included like : length of lacing area, how many holes, how far apart the holes are spaced, what size of lace and angles and curves taken into account....

I would think thats impossible almost.////but I have nearly no experience with lacing just attempting my first project now....i thought i would through in my 2 cents just cuz i got a pocket full of change

Well sure youd have to enter variables, to be a calculator that goes without saying, but I dont see why it would be impossible. I just thought I saw something, Im sure it wasnt down to the fraction of and inch, Pretty sure its possible just knowing distance, size of lace (that will usually dictate hole spacing) and lacing pattern being used.

Edited by rickeyfro

Well sure youd have to enter variables, to be a calculator that goes without saying, but I dont see why it would be impossible. I just thought I saw something, Im sure it wasnt down to the fraction of and inch, Pretty sure its possible just knowing distance, size of lace (that will usually dictate hole spacing) and lacing pattern being used.

My rule of thumb over the years, with both rope and now leather, is a 7:1 ratio. I did find, however, that I needed 9 or 10:1 when I was doing a double-loop edge lacing.

Sure, you're going to have leftovers, but I usually have enough for any cover knots on my braided items and I never throw anything away (sadly), so I can use the scraps for fillers on bite tugs for my munchers.

The cheap $5 book on lacing from Tandy says with each type of lacing how much lace you will need. Though it did say the double cordovan and the mexican basketweave would both take about 8 times. I found it took more for the basket weave.

I usually have enough for any cover knots on my braided items and I never throw anything away (sadly), so I can use the scraps for fillers on bite tugs for my munchers.

Spence - what is a bite tug? what is a muncher?

Ray

Whipstitch: 3.5X

Running Stitch: 1.5X

Buckstitch: 2.5X

Single Loop: 6.5X

Double Loop: 8.5X

Round Braid: 8X

:17:

Also something very important to keep in mind: You should only be using about 3 feet at a time (for edge braiding). Beaverslayer mentioned that any more than that and the lace starts looking ragged after so many trips through the holes. Learn to splice in a new piece instead of pulling 10 feet of lace. It's also LOTS easier to keep straight.

BTW, where is The Beave and his tinfoil hat? I haven't seen him in a very long time.

Spence - what is a bite tug? what is a muncher?

Ray

Ray - I'm sorry - I get to thinking everyone around me can read my mind. And even understand me.

I raise and train German Shepherds for law enforcement types. Part of their training is to learn how to bite properly. I use an old section of firehose, filled with leather bits and pieces, then stitched at the ends. This give the "munchers" an idea what is expected of them.

For puppies, I use a square of 5-8 oz leather tied on the end of a line to entice them into a chase and catch game.

Whipstitch: 3.5X

Running Stitch: 1.5X

Buckstitch: 2.5X

Single Loop: 6.5X

Double Loop: 8.5X

Round Braid: 8X

Johanna, thanks for that "cheat sheet". It will be going up on the wall here.

Thanks for alll the responses. Johanna thats just what I was looking for, one more question, how much will lace width affect this formula, this is all about me wanting to try some 1/4 inch kangaroo lace, kinda pricey, will a wider lace take less to go the same distance?

Well, I'll throw my two cents in. I primarily use the Basketweave pattern in both 3/32" and 1/8". I will agree that with single layer or a double layer of say 6 oz. the 8X rule is pretty good. The problem that most of us that do sheaths and holsters have is that our edges can be very thick (3/8"-5/8" is pretty common).I have found for most of my stuff that 12X is closer to the norm. Also the edges are finished, glued, sanded, and burnished prior to lacing so the standard method of splicing won't work.So ,with that in mind I generally use one piece of lace.To help with the ragged edge syndrome I use a damp sponge to keep the lace clean and neat.If I am doing lace that is already dyed I will use beeswax instead of water.I would love to hear any other of methods of splicing that will look seamless.Dave :cheers:

dumb newbie question time

have any of you ever started a lace in the middle - by that I mean pull your lace through to the halfway point and then lace from both directions.

I did it once, going from left to right no problems

but the other side i had to do it with the project upside down and had to lace backwards..

I don't even want to think about double loop lacing upside down! I'd miss the whole movie! But you do start in the middle for a buckstitch, for example. The middle of your lace goes at the belt tip. Buckstitching is the only important "no splice!" lacing, unless you're going to hide it with a liner. Most of the time, like doing wallets and checkbooks and purses and so forth, you are better off splicing. The drag on the lace shows the wear after too many pulls. A good splice cannot be seen. You hide the ends inside the leathers when double loop lacing. If you must splice a simpler item, you can skive the ends of the laces and use a drop of leather weld. That's pretty much what they do at the factory anyway. I pull off a little more than an arm's reach from the spool, so I don't know how helpful the chart is going to be. These are estimates- your mileage may vary, of course. But learning to splice is a key to good lacing.

Johanna

I do splice, I was just trying to estimate amount of lace to figure cost difference when using the 1/4" roo lace as opposed to other laces

I do splice, I was just trying to estimate amount of lace to figure cost difference when using the 1/4" roo lace as opposed to other laces

Hi Rickey,

the formula is pretty much the same, but you'll find that it will vary somewhat with every project, depending on thickness of the edge that you are covering, and distance between holes.

Kevin