azrider

Hanging Hardware For Barber Strop

Working on a barber's strop for a straight razor. Initially planned on using a large D-Ring to hang the thing, but was wondering if anyone knew where to locate the type of hardware that attaches to the top of the strop, and has a swivel ring? I have done quite a few searches on google and shaving forums, and am only able to find swivel snaps, not anything that goes into a ring. Spent an hour or so looking through OTB's online catalog with no luck either. Any idea of where to find these?

Working on a barber's strop for a straight razor. Initially planned on using a large D-Ring to hang the thing, but was wondering if anyone knew where to locate the type of hardware that attaches to the top of the strop, and has a swivel ring? I have done quite a few searches on google and shaving forums, and am only able to find swivel snaps, not anything that goes into a ring. Spent an hour or so looking through OTB's online catalog with no luck either. Any idea of where to find these?

Check your local Hardware Store, you'll find exactly what you need.Or mabey what will work for you.

Edited by Luke Hatley

Thanks for the suggestion, Luke. I have checked quite a few hardware stores, and most seem to only carry swivel snaps like what is used on a dog leash, with a flat end instead of a round ones. I went to a hardware store today that has been open since 1905. They had one of what I was looking for that was in the very back of the bin. What I would like to find is a source for this type of hardware, so I can get some more. I took this piece into a couple of chain hardware stores, and was told "good luck" by the employees. Any suggestions?

post-7753-039671400 1321119155_thumb.jpg

This looks pretty close to what you want.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/198011-My-First-Straight-Razor-Strop-Build!-(3-20-11)

The item you depicted looks like it may have been hand made. Neat whatever the case.

ferg

Thanks for the suggestion, Luke. I have checked quite a few hardware stores, and most seem to only carry swivel snaps like what is used on a dog leash, with a flat end instead of a round ones. I went to a hardware store today that has been open since 1905. They had one of what I was looking for that was in the very back of the bin. What I would like to find is a source for this type of hardware, so I can get some more. I took this piece into a couple of chain hardware stores, and was told "good luck" by the employees. Any suggestions?

I don't think this one is hand made, but it is certainly old. I have been over at Bager and Blade doing research. Have a straight razor and hone coming my way, so I will be able to test what ever I make. I may be on a wild goose chase looking for hardware like what is pictured. The box it was in was dated 1930, but it was less than two dollars. The big thing I am looking for is a strap end and a ring with the swivel. I have seen quite a few strop makers using these, but since I want to make these for sale, I haven't asked any of them for a source. I may end up going with the snaps to start out with, since these are so hard to find.

You have my curiosity working. When I get the chance I am going to see what my barber has on the end of his strop. That may be a lead for you on the hardware.

ferg

I don't think this one is hand made, but it is certainly old. I have been over at Bager and Blade doing research. Have a straight razor and hone coming my way, so I will be able to test what ever I make. I may be on a wild goose chase looking for hardware like what is pictured. The box it was in was dated 1930, but it was less than two dollars. The big thing I am looking for is a strap end and a ring with the swivel. I have seen quite a few strop makers using these, but since I want to make these for sale, I haven't asked any of them for a source. I may end up going with the snaps to start out with, since these are so hard to find.

I think I found your hardware. http://www.goodsjapan.jp

post-15740-099116200 1321145280_thumb.pn

I have bought from this gentleman. In Japan but will ship via Air. You can e-mail him if you need some specific info.

ferg

Edited by 50 years leather

50 years later has a picture of some trigger snaps that might work for ya'. Beiler's Manufacturing has them in their catalog their phone is 7177680174. It is called a heavy snap item Z5013 (1/2" 5/8" 3/4") & 5013 round snap is 5/8" and 3/4". The Z designation is for nickle plated cast material while the 5301 is for solid brass. Hope this helps.

Edited by busted