rmr

Back Stitching With A Campbell- Randall Lockstitch Machine

So I made the plunge a few months back and decided to get a campbell- randall lock stitching machine. Picked it up in Yoakum TX several weeks ago- very impressive machine, makes an incredible tight stitch. The guys ( Dan, Miles and Connie Nagle as well as their staff) were wonderful people and spent a ton of time showing me how to use the machine- can't say enough good things about them!

So I have been playing around with the machine getting use to the feel and noise it makes ( a little different from my 441 clone) before I start one of my case projects. I got the machine to specifically sew portions of my cases that have 3-4 thicknesses of 5-6 latigo leather, and that the stitch line can be seen on both sided of the case- so I need the bottom stitch line to be just as straight as the top stitch line ( which I was having a little trouble achieving with my 441 clone - even though it stitches everything else just fine)

I know the Campbell- Randall machine doesn't have a reverse, so backstitching is a little more challenging. I haven't been able to get a back stitch that looks real nice on both the top and bottom side of the leather, or many times I cut or frey the thread with the awl......Would like any suggestions from those that use a lockstitch machine, on how they backstitch - or is it easier to just run the stitch line and then after removing the project from the machine use a harness needle and perform the backstitch by hand at the beginning and end of the stitch line

Thanks for any recommendations in advance

RMR

I backstitched on two Union Lockstitch machines I've owned. The needle/awl/foot-up sequence is reversed on a ULS, compared to a Randall Lockstitch. Here's how you can do it on your Randall Lockstitch.

• If you are beginning a stitch line and want to backtack, take the thread off the looper and sew two or three empty stitches, stopping at the third with the foot up and awl down
  • Spin the work 180 degrees
  • Re-thread the looper
  • Cycle the machine to bring the needle up into the third hole
  • Sew to the first hole
  • Do another 180 turn
  • Slowly bring the awl down on the outer left side of the previous stitch.
  • Bring the needle up and let it grab the thread
  • Turn the work slightly to the right so the barb in the needle is not dead on with the stitch
  • Slowly bring the needle down, keeping the work facing slightly away from the barb.
  • Do this for all stitches you are backtacking
  • Sew inline to the end
  • Turn the work around and repeat the backtack technique, where the awl stabs on the outside and the needle aims to the left of the existing stitches.

One more tip is to use the smallest needle that holds the thread without accidentally letting go on the way down. A filled barb has less room left to rat the existing stitches on the way down. Also, running the top thread through Lax Wax lubricates the stitches and lets the needle and awl go past existing stitches with less friction.

Edited by Wizcrafts

thank you

thank you

Just remember to leave the machine to me in your will!

LOL Will do- if my wife ever finds out how much the machine was- you may be getting it sooner than you thought:)