CliffFendley

cleaning mold off of saddle

I've got a couple saddles that have been in my grandfathers shed for near 20 years now with no use. I dug them out and the leather is in good shape but they have some mold on them. I wanted to try to clean them up but was wondering the best thing to use considering the mold. Is this a serious problem or will a good cleaning be good enough. The mold just has me a little concerned.

Thanks for any advice

Edited by CliffFendley

I occasionally get mouldy tack brought into my shop for renovation. I use a good-quality saddle soap as follows:

1. Wipe the leather down with a soft, dry cloth to remove all dirt, dust and debris. The leather should be free of foreign particles before the soap is applied.

2. Dip a dampened sponge into the saddle soap and work into a good lather.

3. Rub the saddle soap into the leather. Apply using a tight circular motion until the entire surface is covered.

4. Allow the saddle soap to remain on the leather for just a few minutes.

5. Wipe off the soap using a damp washcloth. Be sure to wipe the leather down thoroughly and that no soap is left behind, as it can cause the leather to dry out and become cracked.

6. Follow the saddle soap wash immediately with a conditioner or leather oil.

This works for me, but I know some people don't like saddle soap, so wait and what other answers are offered!

Plain old vinegar will kill most moulds.

Barra

I've got a couple saddles that have been in my grandfathers shed for near 20 years now with no use. I dug them out and the leather is in good shape but they have some mold on them. I wanted to try to clean them up but was wondering the best thing to use considering the mold. Is this a serious problem or will a good cleaning be good enough. The mold just has me a little concerned.

Thanks for any advice

Start by brushing and then saddle soaping, follow up with Bee Natural #1 saddle oil with fungicide

http://www.beenaturalleathercare.com/cgi-b..._id=73874_21664

I have used these products and they worked great. I lived in Hawaii for 2 years and had mold on my saddle every other day until I started using this!!

Rick J.

I had one in for cleaning that was sooooo bad,.... ( how bad was it, Johnny?).......

IMG_1289.jpg

It was a carved saddle and I tell ya, I couldn't get that mold out of the carving to save my life. Finally, I went at it with paint thinner. That worked. Then, of course I had to treat the leather with lots of conditioner to counteract the drying effect of the thinner, but it worked.

I know, most of ya'll are probably shaking your heads with disgust but I tell ya, I was so sick of the smell of vinegar after scrubbing and brushing for hours with little or no effect on that mold that I just had to fish or cut bait, if ya know what I mean.

The vinegar would get most of it but there were these little specs that just would NOT come off. As shown in this before and after pic:

before_after.jpg

And just so you don't all think I ruined this rig, here's how it turned out.........

IMG_1310r.jpg

post-1925-1227889481_thumb.jpg

post-1925-1227889571_thumb.jpg

post-1925-1227890130_thumb.jpg

I had one in for cleaning that was sooooo bad,.... ( how bad was it, Johnny?).......IMG_1289.jpg It was a carved saddle and I tell ya, I couldn't get that mold out of the carving to save my life. Finally, I went at it with paint thinner. That worked. Then, of course I had to treat the leather with lots of conditioner to counteract the drying effect of the thinner, but it worked. I know, most of ya'll are probably shaking your heads with disgust but I tell ya, I was so sick of the smell of vinegar after scrubbing and brushing for hours with little or no effect on that mold that I just had to fish or cut bait, if ya know what I mean. The vinegar would get most of it but there were these little specs that just would NOT come off. As shown in this before and after pic:before_after.jpgAnd just so you don't all think I ruined this rig, here's how it turned out.........IMG_1310r.jpg

Beautiful job of restoration--do you mind if I ask what you used to recondition and get such a beautful finish on the saddle??

As I recall, it was fairly dry, so I oiled it a bit and then gave it some glycerin saddle soap and finally some Tan Kote. The leather was actually in really good shape for it's age and neglect. So, it wasn't hard to get it looking good.

I had one in for cleaning that was sooooo bad,.... ( how bad was it, Johnny?).......

IMG_1289.jpg

It was a carved saddle and I tell ya, I couldn't get that mold out of the carving to save my life. Finally, I went at it with paint thinner. That worked. Then, of course I had to treat the leather with lots of conditioner to counteract the drying effect of the thinner, but it worked.

I know, most of ya'll are probably shaking your heads with disgust but I tell ya, I was so sick of the smell of vinegar after scrubbing and brushing for hours with little or no effect on that mold that I just had to fish or cut bait, if ya know what I mean.

The vinegar would get most of it but there were these little specs that just would NOT come off. As shown in this before and after pic:

before_after.jpg

And just so you don't all think I ruined this rig, here's how it turned out.........

IMG_1310r.jpg

I have found an old electric toothbrush is great for getting into all the tooling. Just keep extra batteries on hand. :lol:

I've had two moldies in two weeks. One is finished and looks great. The second very bad and the stirrup leathers have deteriorated. One had broken. I'm awaiting word from the owner as to whether I proceed with cleaning and replacing the leathers or hand it back.