artificer

Top plait/applique braid ID

Can anyone identify the braid used on the skirt, fenders and tapaderos on a Hamley trophy saddle featured on page 91 of the book Fine Art of the West by B. Byron Price? It's a top plait/applique braid, not an edge braid. Do you know of a book or video that provides instructions for it? I can't find it in my library.

Thanks.

can ya show a picture. I don't have that book.

Mike

Try this one - I checked my book and then checked for appliques in Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia...this looks like the right one to me. It's a two strand hair braid applique - you have to do these on scrap first to work out the spacing for the slots and the size of the strings you are using, as the pic if it on the saddle is tighter than the example of how to do the job...

Pages 454 and 455 of Bruce Grant's Encylopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding

can ya show a picture. I don't have that book.

Mike

Mike,

I'm new on this site and didn't think I was supposed to post any copyrighted material. I'll try Shelly's suggestion and see if it matches. I appreciate the offer of help.

Merrye

Try this one - I checked my book and then checked for appliques in Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia...this looks like the right one to me. It's a two strand hair braid applique - you have to do these on scrap first to work out the spacing for the slots and the size of the strings you are using, as the pic if it on the saddle is tighter than the example of how to do the job...

Thanks, Shelly. I saw that hair braid applique in Grant's book, but didn't think it looked right -- probably because the slot spacing is much greater than on the saddle as you point out. I'll give it a test run.

Merrye