Ok. Tired of the method i am using. I use a 3/8 punch then the chisel method. I like the width of the slot that gives me. Can anyone direct me to a punch that would make a similar slot? Most i see seem like a lot thinner slot.

Take a look here, . . . scroll down to tinker tailor's post, . . . I make all of my own bag punches similar to this, . . . but I can do one in all of 15 minutes, . . . and eat a cinnamon roll at the same time.

May God bless,

Dwight

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=62446&hl=%26quot%3Bbag+punch%26quot%3B#entry403971

I can do then that fast too, the hours estimate was for a first timer. I can't however do it while eating a cinnamon bun, cinnamon makes me sneeze and then i get a variegated cutting edge. Apple fritters make the best punches.......

Btw, it sometimes helps with wider slot punches to put a piece of steel or wood inside the pipe and hammer the sides back into parallel after you cut it but before you sharpen.

Edited by TinkerTailor

Texascustomdies.com

Texascustomdies.com

Them too. Round stuff i will do myself. Hearts, moustaches and unicorn cutouts, im gonna get somebody like them to make me a clicker. Its all relative to tool availability and skill of the operator. I have some tools, i like to think i know how to use them, and i am for sure gonna......I'm not everyone however..:-) I've also effed up alot of projects over the years with excess tinkering.....

Texas Custom Dies makes an excellent mallet punch. One thing to be aware of is to let them know that it will be used to punch through two layers of 8/9 Oz veg tan. Otherwise it will come sharpened to punch through one layer of 5/6OZ and you will need to regrind it.

Texas Custom Dies makes an excellent mallet punch. One thing to be aware of is to let them know that it will be used to punch through two layers of 8/9 Oz veg tan. Otherwise it will come sharpened to punch through one layer of 5/6OZ and you will need to regrind it.

can you explain why you would have to regrind?

thanks

Lew

can you explain why you would have to regrind?

thanks

Lew

Because the secondary angle will be ground too steep and you will not be able to force it through the thicker leather short of a hydraulic press. Just let them know what it is for and things will be fine.