Sign in to follow this  
MMArmoury

Finding Stitching Clams

I know the subject of stitching clams has been brought up here in the past, but I want to know what the availability is of them on the market now. Is there anyone (in the USA) selling them? I am looking for the freestanding ones, not a pony or stitching horse or floor base model.

post-8098-042330500 1328980216_thumb.jpg

post-8098-070362100 1328980250_thumb.jpg

post-8098-056364000 1328980290_thumb.jpg

I know the subject of stitching clams has been brought up here in the past, but I want to know what the availability is of them on the market now. Is there anyone (in the USA) selling them? I am looking for the freestanding ones, not a pony or stitching horse or floor base model.

Hi, I am sorry I do not know about a supplier in the US or elsewhere but I found it easy enough to make an extra set as I wanted some with a narrow jaw. I tracked down a person who bends wood with steam for arcitectural woodwork and he bent up some Victorian Ash for me. The way I made them differs to your image as the two slats extend all the way to the floor giving you much more space under the jaws. It took a while as I adjusted the thickness and shape with a spoke shave and hand plane. I am still to fit some vera wood jaws to complete the project.

Regards

Jeff

While I was in an antique store in England I purchased what you have described. If you are interested in purchasing, please contact me with an offer (without shipping, shipping will be added). It is 43" long. I'm back in the USA now. Hope this helps.

post-82-090972100 1330191132_thumb.jpg

Bob Stelmack

www.pslac.org

Edited by stelmackr

While I was in an antique store in England I purchased what you have described. If you are interested in purchasing, please contact me with an offer (without shipping, shipping will be added). It is 43" long. I'm back in the USA now. Hope this helps.

Bob Stelmack

www.pslac.org

Sir,

Thanks a lot. It is exactly what I was looking for. But someone else was supposed to be sending me one, if that falls through I'll contact you.

I'm going to try and make one , Ash isn't too hard to bend ( used lots for boats / canoes ) , I have a good local source , and a buddy with a good shop . I'm thinking of changeable jaws , to go from small to larger projects .

I'll post pics if it works .

BTW , as you are not talking about extreme bends , many other hardwoods would work .

Chris

Is this stitching clam still available?

Bob Stelmack

www.pslac.org

Is this stitching clam still available?

Yes

Great! I'm interested. How much?

If you are interested in purchasing, please contact me with an offer (without shipping, shipping will be added). It is 43" long. Hope this helps.

I forgot to ask... what condition is it in? And do you have other photos of it posted that would give me a visual rep. of its condition? Thank you, I appreciate your time.

If you are interested in purchasing, please contact me with an offer (without shipping, shipping will be added). It is 43" long. Hope this helps.

I forgot to ask... what condition is it in? And do you have other photos of it posted that would give me a visual rep. of its condition? Thank you, I appreciate your time.

Condition is shown in these pictures:

post-82-084896500 1340463022_thumb.jpg

post-82-076470200 1340463041_thumb.jpg

post-82-070949600 1340463066_thumb.jpg

post-82-039519800 1340463091_thumb.jpg

post-82-088774600 1340463103_thumb.jpg

post-82-018712300 1340463117_thumb.jpg

post-82-073102100 1340463125_thumb.jpg

post-82-094345700 1340463136_thumb.jpg

post-82-072606300 1340463154_thumb.jpg

...and sorry to say I am unable to spend more time describing this item. I need to get back to making and selling some leather products. Thank you for your interest.