Sign in to follow this  
Larry

How do i put it all together?

I went on the "Where to Find It" part of this forum to find the insides for a clutch purse/checkbook wallet formy wife. I was told Springfieldwould have it and they did. It's the C-F insert and looks well made. They were very helpful. Only, it doesnot have a checkbook and register position. I have my book "The Artof Making Leather Cases" by A.S. and I can make one and add it to theinsides. I'm new to this craft and not really sure of what to lookout for when I put this all together. SL sent me some 3-4 oz veg. tanned leatherbecause my wife wanted a tooled cover. I can make the checkbook cover outof it also and glue and stitch it to the insert. I want to stitch it all rather than laceit.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to cut the leather after I toolit due to stretching (that makes sense) but do I need to cut it exactly the dimensionof the insert or do I make it 1/8" larger.
  2. Do I use my Barge Contact Cement on thepaper like insert and the leather just like putting two pieces of leathertogether?
  3. I ordered the NRC Checkbook insert and not sure how itgoes into the checkbook slot. It looks to be a tri-fold. I can seethat one of the tri-fold needs to be out for the check that being written, onepart of the tri-fold would be under the slot for the checkbook, but what aboutthe third part of the tri-fold.
  4. Please let me know what else I need to look outfor. I can't afford to mess up this$26.00 insert (retired/fixed income dilemma)

Thanks everyone for the help. And, thanks for helping me learn this greatcraft. Larry

Edited by Larry

hey Larry

Wow, what a job. I have an old set of instructions at home for a Tandy 'Regency' clutch purse. I can take a look later and see if there are instructions for you, but I have a proposition for you. Take a look at this clutch purse that I made for my wife this past Christmas. I tooled the outside and used a pre-made inside from Chaylor-Fennell. I started downt he same path as you, but quickly realized that without 'testing' the theory first, I was just asking for it.

Big Papa Leather, a member turned me on to these and I saw a project that Hidepounder showed here that these inserts are awesome. Anyways, Kevin at Springfield Leather is now the US distributor for these inserts/products. I would ask him if he would accept the return of your products in exchange for a Chaylor-Fennell clutch purse insert. There come in variety of colors/leathers. I believe I used Kangaroo insides on my purchase. I know that I made another clutch purse for my sis and used a Calf leather insert.

If not, then I would suggest you do a test run first and made a model inside before you commit to your final product. I sure would hate to piss you wife off. Don't we do that enough?

Good luck.

Chaylor-Fennell inside.JPG

Clutch Purse.JPG

post-6330-126409174871_thumb.jpg

post-6330-126409176234_thumb.jpg

Thanks King's X, I got the same insert. It is a Chaylor-Fennell and I got it from Springfield. I don't know what kind of leather it is, Kevin was out and I talked to Carol and she picked it out for me. I think it looks great and like you said I don't want to take a chance by just jumping in. It just does not have a place for a checkbook with a register. I marked in red where I thought I could glue and stitch one in that I can make out of 2-3 oz. leather. There are instruction for it in the "How to make Leather Cases" book . Any instructions you may have I sure would appreciate it. If you think the instructions you have are not relevant (since I have the insert), then I would just need to know if I use the Barge Contact Cement and glue this together after I tool the outside. Springfield sent me some 2-3 oz premium veg tanned leather for the outside and the checkbook cover.

That's some beautiful work on the tooling on your clutch purse. I'm just not at that level so my tooling will be a little simpler. I would not even be able to cut that kind of design. I'm going to use a simple flower and scroll out of the "How to Carver Leather" book. She wants it stitched so there will be less bulk and it's easier for me to stitch than it is to lace. Carol sent me some low profile magnet closers. They have a metal plate on them and two prongs. Not real sure how to attach these, but I guess I can figure it out, shouldn't be that complicated. Thanks again King's X . Larry

ClutchInsert.jpg

Take a look at this tooling pattern. You can take the double scrolls and use it for your internal panel you are going to put in.

Good luck.

Simple Clutch Purse Pattern.JPG

post-6330-126410997809_thumb.jpg

Oh yea, almost forgot. before you glue the two together, conduct a semi dry run on how much stuff your wife will carry to determine where you are going to have your magnets set up. don't do like I did....with my wife's purse, she grew out of it as soon as she moved it. I would have set the snap back a bit had I thought of this before. Learn from my mistakes. Once you are glued together, before you lace or sew, do another semi dry run to make sure.

Okay...good luck.

Great tips, I sure appreciate it. I would never have thought about the magnet placement. Exactly how do I install these? Do I just bend the prongs over on the metal plate?

I like the pattern, I'll print it out and trace it. It will look great. Thanks again King's X. Larry

PM your email and I will send you the actual drawing pattern instead of you trying to do it yourself. No need to try it. As for the magnets??? I have never used them. The wife wanted a snap so it would not come loose on its own. Her purse, her decision.

Later.

PM sent King's X, thanks...

Edited by Larry

I went on the "Where to Find It" part of this forum to find the insides for a clutch purse/checkbook wallet formy wife. I was told Springfieldwould have it and they did. It's the C-F insert and looks well made. They were very helpful. Only, it doesnot have a checkbook and register position. I have my book "The Artof Making Leather Cases" by A.S. and I can make one and add it to theinsides. I'm new to this craft and not really sure of what to lookout for when I put this all together. SL sent me some 3-4 oz veg. tanned leatherbecause my wife wanted a tooled cover. I can make the checkbook cover outof it also and glue and stitch it to the insert. I want to stitch it all rather than laceit.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to cut the leather after I toolit due to stretching (that makes sense) but do I need to cut it exactly the dimensionof the insert or do I make it 1/8" larger.
  2. Do I use my Barge Contact Cement on thepaper like insert and the leather just like putting two pieces of leathertogether?
  3. I ordered the NRC Checkbook insert and not sure how itgoes into the checkbook slot. It looks to be a tri-fold. I can seethat one of the tri-fold needs to be out for the check that being written, onepart of the tri-fold would be under the slot for the checkbook, but what aboutthe third part of the tri-fold.
  4. Please let me know what else I need to look outfor. I can't afford to mess up this$26.00 insert (retired/fixed income dilemma)

Thanks everyone for the help. And, thanks for helping me learn this greatcraft. Larry

Larry,

I don't think this was mentioned yet. Before you tool your leather, either glue it, backside, to a piece of poster-board or tape the backside with packing tape to keep the leather from stretching. After you're finished peel the back off and then rub the residual glue off with your fingers or a gum eraser. Barge glue will do, but only put it on one side - either on the leather or the poster-board - that way you won't have an almost permanent bond. Look forward to seeing the finished piece.

Thanks, Billsotx, I did not get a kit. I ordered the insert from Springfield Leather and got about 3 sq. ft. of leather to do the tooling on. In this case, am I correct in thinking, I can tool the pattern on a piece larger that the insert and when finished with tooling and the leather is dry, then cut it to size for the clutch purse? Thanks, Larry

Thanks, Billsotx, I did not get a kit. I ordered the insert from Springfield Leather and got about 3 sq. ft. of leather to do the tooling on. In this case, am I correct in thinking, I can tool the pattern on a piece larger that the insert and when finished with tooling and the leather is dry, then cut it to size for the clutch purse? Thanks, Larry

Larry, You can cut it oversize if you want, however, I think you'd want to lightly mark or layout the area you're going to tool. When you tool a piece of leather it generally stretches - especially if you use tools that you hammer on: bevellers, pear shaders, cams, etc. To minimize stretch either temporarily glue the piece to a poster-board or scrap piece of heavy cardboard or tape the backside. I use 3M packaging tape; the 2" wide stuff because it does not cushion the blows of the maul and gives better impressions. I have also used old cereal boxes and similar cardboard also. I was taught this was SOP in carving/tooling but there may be another way to prevent stretch. Anyway, after tooling I carefully pull the back loose before the piece is dry. Some folks say wait until it dries. I find it easier if done while the piece is cased. Hope this helps. ~Bill

Bill, I'm on this forum to learn, and if youwere taught that securing the back was SOP while carving/tooling, that's goodenough for me.

As a matter of fact, it is probably a goodhabit to form, whether you are using pre-cut pieces from a kit or just a pieceof leather. Once you have established that everything gets secured on the back regardless, then there is no questions. I like the idea of the packingtape. I did do a checkbook kit for my wife not long ago and I usedcardboard, like the instructions said, and it was mushy when I use my mallet for tooling. The packing tape sounds like a great idea. I wasn't looking forward to trying to tool on top of cardboard again.

Thanks again for the great tips. Betweenyou and King's X, I have learned some important steps that I would not havethought of on my own. Thank you both for shortening my learning curve and saving me time, frustration and leather. Hopefully, I'll have pictures of the finished product soon (and probably more questions). Larry

Just show us what you learned by coming back to post your pictures. I know that it will turn out awesome and something that your wife will be proud of. I just completed another clutch this weekend, hope to post some pixs before she comes to get it (wife's friend). I did go with the old scroll pattern and Chaylor Fennell inside.

Good luck.

Thanks King's X and Billsotx for the help. Here is the finished product. I had company for a while and had to put things on hold. For my first one, I'm fairly satisfied. I made her a checkbook cover and clutch purse. The main thing is she is very happy with it. She thinks they are perfect. I've seen pictures of King's X stuff and I'm sure Billsotx's stuff is beautiful too. I know that time will make a difference in the quality of my work. I have heard people call this a craft, but I think it is more of an art than a craft.

King's X, I used the scroll pattern you sent me. I got the pattern but just had to guess how to tool it.

Any way here they are and thanks again guys for the help. You saved me a lot of headaches.

ClutchPurseCheckBook.jpg

ClutchPurse1-1.jpg

Not bad. You might consider doing that same design on a piece of scrap when you have some time. The do it a few more times. Experiment with different tools, shaders, bevelers, cams, etc. and use a modeling spoon to iron out some of the tools marks and to round-over sharp edges. And deco cuts, those can really set it off -or- detract from it. The deco cuts are definitely an art. Anyway, after you do it again over a few months or a year compare it to the original you did; it's inspiring to see improvements. Repetition is the mother of skill!

Thanks, Bill, I wasn't aware of the model spoon or that you were supposed to smooth out the sharp edges. I bet that makes a big difference. I'm sure too that the deco cut "more is less" is the rule of thumb. I can already see my carving is coming along a lot better. This was really thin stuff (3 - 4 oz.) and it wasn't easy to carve. It really looks better than the picture show it to be. Thanks again for the great tips. Larry

Larry

Good work for your first time. Don't worry about your tooling sequence at this time. Pay more attention to your swivel knife work. That is where your gold is. Send me your email address again in a PM and I will forward you some reading material to help you understand the sequence. It is something we used when we put on our Basic Floral Carving class through our leather guild.

Note: As long as "she" is happy, that's all that counts!

Thanks King's X and Billsotx for the help. Here is the finished product. I had company for a while and had to put things on hold. For my first one, I'm fairly satisfied. I made her a checkbook cover and clutch purse. The main thing is she is very happy with it. She thinks they are perfect. I've seen pictures of King's X stuff and I'm sure Billsotx's stuff is beautiful too. I know that time will make a difference in the quality of my work. I have heard people call this a craft, but I think it is more of an art than a craft.

King's X, I used the scroll pattern you sent me. I got the pattern but just had to guess how to tool it.

Any way here they are and thanks again guys for the help. You saved me a lot of headaches.

ClutchPurseCheckBook.jpg

ClutchPurse1-1.jpg

grand, simply grand, I am NOT that far along. So how does one do the letters. Google a patern and hope for the best?

PM your email and I will send you the actual drawing pattern instead of you trying to do it yourself. No need to try it. As for the magnets??? I have never used them. The wife wanted a snap so it would not come loose on its own. Her purse, her decision.

Later.

HEY!!! It's me again with a question that you answered 2 years ago!!!!! I JUST got an C-F insert and before I tool it, I noticed that there isn't THAT much room if I want to sew it, especially around the corners. If I chose not to lace it, should I leave 1/8 or 1/4 all the way around to get it onto a friends machine and then trip and edge it, or do I have to hand sew these?

ANY help would be appreciated- by the way, I went and got a 3/8 straight blade from Chuck Smith and have put the angled ceramic away for awhile. I NOW appreciate the blades that you sharpened foe me. Thanks again

your Arkansas friend,

pete

hey Larry

Wow, what a job. I have an old set of instructions at home for a Tandy 'Regency' clutch purse. I can take a look later and see if there are instructions for you, but I have a proposition for you. Take a look at this clutch purse that I made for my wife this past Christmas. I tooled the outside and used a pre-made inside from Chaylor-Fennell. I started downt he same path as you, but quickly realized that without 'testing' the theory first, I was just asking for it.

Big Papa Leather, a member turned me on to these and I saw a project that Hidepounder showed here that these inserts are awesome. Anyways, Kevin at Springfield Leather is now the US distributor for these inserts/products. I would ask him if he would accept the return of your products in exchange for a Chaylor-Fennell clutch purse insert. There come in variety of colors/leathers. I believe I used Kangaroo insides on my purchase. I know that I made another clutch purse for my sis and used a Calf leather insert.

If not, then I would suggest you do a test run first and made a model inside before you commit to your final product. I sure would hate to piss you wife off. Don't we do that enough?

Good luck.

What weight leather did you use here? Don't want it too thick but want depth too.

pete