highnoonhunter

Mexican Round Braid

Hey folks,

I've looked at some lacing on here in different photo's, and for the most part, it looks..................... well............. fuller then mine.

I learned to do it from one of the lacing books I bought from Tandy a few years back.

How far from the edge should I punch for the lacing?

Here's a photo of a quiver I made and laced with the Mexican Round braid. Do you see anything wrong with it?

tradgangquiver008.jpg

See on the front where you can see the quiver leather through the lacing? I don't like that! Is that normal? I feel it shouldn't show.

Hey Highnoon,

Looks like you have the right idea but on the spacing, I believe you want the distance between the holes and from the edge of the leather to be the same as the thickness of the lacing you are using. If the holes are too far apart or too far from the edge it will break up the braid as you see here similar to the way a spiders web spaces out the further it goes out. Looking at the photo, I'm guessing you used 1/4" lacing spaced about 3/8" or so from the edge?

Chris

P.S. - Exception to the rule above would be double and triple loop lacing. On those, if you space the lacing out further from the edge it will give cool looking 'ribs' leading to the the edge lacing. B)

Thanks Spinner,

It's actually 1/8" wide calf lace. And the spacing is 1/8" apart, but I think it was 1/4" from the edge. It's been so long since I did that item I can't remember, but that's my usual spacing from the edge for doing double & triple loop lacing, so I suspect it was what I did on this one.

That very well could be my problem, is that I placed my slits too far away from the edge!!!

Edited by highnoonhunter

Yep, the sizes are different but the ratios are pretty close to the same so I'd say that is probably your culprit.

When I'm experimenting with a new lacing technique I'll give it a spin on some scrap to make sure I get the spacing/look I'm going for. The books usually tell you the textbook way to do things but they don't always tell you what happens if you deviate, good or bad.

If I may, I will throw my two cents in? I actually do a Spanish Round Braid on most of my lacing projects. I really like the way it looks compared to double and cordovan loop lacing techniques. JMPO

I also use the smaller size chisel from the size of the lace that I am using, of course I use primarily 1/8", but I have 3/32" lace. As for the spacing, I usually use the thickness of the leather that I am trying to lace to provide me a good distance between the edge to my holes. Naturally, if the distance seems to shallow and I believe it can cause issues, I will select a more appropriate distance. It just depends.

Finally, for any dark lace, I will color my edges to make sure if there are any gaps, the color will blend in with the lace.

Anyways, it works for me, I hope it helps you.

Edited by King's X

Finally, for any dark lace, I will color my edges to make sure if there are any gaps, the color will blend in with the lace.

This one gave me one of those "Aha" moments. Millions of thanks I will for sure use your tip in my future braiding adventures. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

If I may, I will throw my two cents in? I actually do a Spanish Round Braid on most of my lacing projects.

Thanks Kings X for the info! Are you meaning, that if you're gonna use 1/8" lace, that you will use 3/32" chisels?

But now I gotta ask................ Spanish Round Braid........... Mexican Round Braid............. you ain't messin' with me iz ya?

If not, what is the difference?

Does anyone know what happened to the Kingsmere Crafts website ???