Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

It's been a long time

Hi folks,

Here's a buckle I completed for a competition sponsored by Lone Star Leathercrafter's Guild. I won 1st place with a prize of $50 donated by Leather Crafter and Saddler's Journal.

Thanks to all that voted for my entry, and all here on the site that share lots of knowledge for the benefit of us all.

Marlon

Buckle_Front.jpg

Buckle_back.jpg

post-3307-1247705308_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1247705350_thumb.jpg

Great job Marlon and congratulations on the win!!!!!!

Bob

Very nice design and overall look..Congrats to the win Marlon :banana:

Thanks Bob and Tina.

Very nice touch with the American Flag colors. BTW, are you going to be attending Jim Linnell's Longhorn embossing class in FTW? The guys and I are thinking about another road trip up north.

Very nice touch with the American Flag colors. BTW, are you going to be attending Jim Linnell's Longhorn embossing class in FTW? The guys and I are thinking about another road trip up north.

Yep, I sure am planning on it. Hope you guys make it up, it'd be great to see you guys again. By the way, George has made a two gun rig for the IFoLG show that's outta this world. I can't describe it 'cause I don't want to give anything away, but it's definitely going to be a show stopper.

Very Nice. I like the lettering. I don't recognize it as a Tandy set. Where did you get the letter stamps?

Very Nice. I like the lettering. I don't recognize it as a Tandy set. Where did you get the letter stamps?

Hi resqman,

That is a custom made stamp, for the Lone Star Leathercrafter's Guild. It contains the letters, the state of Texas, the star and the swivel knife.

I really like the lacing surrounding the logo stamp the coloring in it really blends it into the logo coloring and design.

Did you use natural lace and dye it or splice the 3 different color laces?

I really like the lacing surrounding the logo stamp the coloring in it really blends it into the logo coloring and design.

Did you use natural lace and dye it or splice the 3 different color laces?

Hi,

I used bleached rawhide lace. It's very thin, probably .5mm and it was dyed and dried prior to buckstitching. It is three separate pieces with the ends glued in place on the flesh side of the leather.

love it ouffff, i got a friend that need a bukel whit no metal to it i think this would do

can you tell me how you did this i would try to copy it if you dont mind

just writhe me on the site please

thank you very much

Hi,

I used bleached rawhide lace. It's very thin, probably .5mm and it was dyed and dried prior to buckstitching. It is three separate pieces with the ends glued in place on the flesh side of the leather.

love it ouffff, i got a friend that need a bukel whit no metal to it i think this would do

can you tell me how you did this i would try to copy it if you dont mind

just writhe me on the site please

thank you very much

Hi Richard,

Unfortunately, this buckle does have metal on the inside. It's sandwiched between two layer's of leather. I used an oval buckle blank that you can get from just about any leather supplier. I tooled the front, then I used contact cement to glue the front to the buckle, then do the same for the back, using a bone folder to 'mold' the back piece to conform to all the creases. Then laced her up. That's it.

Wow! Marlon that's a fantastic job, and Congratulations on your win!

Marlon

very nice your a real artist, congrats on the win you earned it.

Josh

Thanks guys...I don't know about the artist part, but I appreciate it.

Very nice work Marlon.

David Theobald

Hi Marlon,

Great work. I love especially how you made the buckstitching in different colors. That looks wonderful. The first price is really earned. Congratulation.

Gisela