DavidL

What Do You Use For Pattern Material?

I've heard of poster board being used for pattern material. What other material can be used thats stiffer than poster board?

It would be best if it can be found locally.

Best way to transfer a design to pattern material?

I'm no expert, but I use posterboard. I get it in 11x14 sheets from the local store. I just tape my pattern to it and cut around the pattern. If it's a printable pattern, I'll use the thickest card stock my printer will handle and call it good. Other than that, I've got a colleague with a couple 3D printers that I haven't taken advantage of yet...

Assuming you mean cutting patterns, depending on the amount of use it will get.

I have some handbag patterns done in plain 20# paper (like you'd have in a home printer) because they aren't used often.

Others I have printed on #100 card stock at teh print shop (that cute girl down there means I may have a couple extra printed, even if I don't need them).

Frequent but not heavy use, posterboard (you can lacquer the edges for more strength), and

Frequent use, sheet metal patterns or just have the cutting die made.

It is rare I keep my patterns. I normally use wall lining paper.

In the trade they use paper then if going to use often they use 2 pound board this looks like 3mm thick card.

If they are going to cut often from it they will cut it out of zinc sheet or aluminium sheet

If they have a clicker press then press knifes.

Edited by gmace99

You can also get some of that stuff that is called bag stiffener and use that. I have all of my routine use cutting templates made out of that stuff and it works very well. You can also make heavier use patterns out of vinyl flooring.

I use poster board. Apply spay adhesive, stick together an cut out pattern

I use file folders, basically poster board. I get tons of it for free at work.

But you also asked the best way. Draw them on a cad program and burn them with a laser. Perfect transfers.

I use construction paper. Often I'll make a construction paper mock up, send a picture to the customer for approval then start cuttin' leather.

chip02_zps577194bc.jpg

chip7_zpse71cc9b8.jpg

Rigid polystyrene plastic sheets (.020") are ok for working templates.

I use bag stiffner from tandy...if its just something I am messing with i just use tracing paper or normal paper from my printer

I use file folders, basically poster board. I get tons of it for free at work.

But you also asked the best way. Draw them on a cad program and burn them with a laser. Perfect transfers.

Same here. File folders.

I make patterns for woodworking out of 1/8" or 1/4 hardboard like they use to make pegboard but without the holes. I assume it would work for leather too.

Chris

I make patterns for woodworking out of 1/8" or 1/4 hardboard like they use to make pegboard but without the holes. I assume it would work for leather too.

Chris

Masonite will work -- I used it 100 years ago. Changed to plexiglass about the same thickness after that, though, so I could see the leather under the pattern. Alternately, I have been known to mark the pattern, cut it out (band saw), and then keep the OUTSIDE, so that you lay it on teh leather and teh part you're cutting out is the part that's visible. Makes a bigger piece to store, otherwise it does work.

Chris

Masonite will work -- I used it 100 years ago. Changed to plexiglass about the same thickness after that, though, so I could see the leather under the pattern. Alternately, I have been known to mark the pattern, cut it out (band saw), and then keep the OUTSIDE, so that you lay it on teh leather and teh part you're cutting out is the part that's visible. Makes a bigger piece to store, otherwise it does work.

I use hardboard/masonite for guitar building templates. I tried acrylic but the router bearings somtimes got hot and melted the acrylic, but I bet for leather working it is the way to go. The downside to masonite/hardboard templates is the edges begin to crumble in humid climates. So I always had a master template I kept in my sock drawer to remake the working templates every so often.

I use manilla folders for my leather patterns now. If i had a pattern I used a lot, I would either make acrylic patterns or have a clicker die made.

Edited by Colt W Knight

For flat templates, go to Costco and look for the non-corrugated cardboard they use to separate layers of Gatorade cases on the pallet. They'll let you take them home for free, and they're almost as stiff as bag stiffener.

:)

I'm just getting started and have been laying out templates for things I want to make using Bristol paper. It is 100lb paper, it takes pencil very well and erases clean when you want it to. Its a little pricey but I just picked up a 19"x24" booklet with 15 pages for $15 at hobby lobby.

I'm just getting started and have been laying out templates for things I want to make using Bristol paper. It is 100lb paper, it takes pencil very well and erases clean when you want it to. Its a little pricey but I just picked up a 19"x24" booklet with 15 pages for $15 at hobby lobby.

Bristol board works great. Just a tip.. you can probably get that same stuff at a print shop for less money -- just won't be paying for the packaging and a middle man.

For flat templates, go to Costco and look for the non-corrugated cardboard they use to separate layers of Gatorade cases on the pallet. They'll let you take them home for free, and they're almost as stiff as bag stiffener.

:)

If it's the same style board they cover our pallets with at work it's fantastic. I keep a few every couple months. Bought time to grab a couple more. Just heavier than poster board but easy to cu with a razor knife. Stiff enough to hold up for a good bit of use too.

For mutiple curves I use masking tape on what I am covering and trim to fit pull off. Could transfer to cardboard or somthing for a mor durable template multiples will be made

I draw my patterns up in Deltacad (free for windows), print it out on heavy card stock, cut out, and then use that. With heavy stock you can just whip your scratch awl around it and not have to worry about it bucking up or crumpling.

I use two things. One, a very handy plastic sheet called "Quilters Plastic Template," available in 12" x 18" sheets from your local fabric store.

http://www.joann.com/quilter-s-plastic-template-12inx18in/2183317.html#q=plastic%2Bpattern%2Bsheets&start=2

It is nice because it is inexpensive, easy to trace or write on, cuts nicely with a pair of regular scissors and holds and edge better than cardboard because the edges don't fray with use. I sand the edges to further refine their shape and smoothness.

But most of the time, because I draw my patterns in Adobe Illustrator, I print out a pattern either on tracing or regular paper on my dot matrix printer. I then tape and trace as usual but don't save the pattern. That way my patterns are identical and fresh each time.

Michelle