Sign in to follow this  
Regis

design I created for the oakleaf exercise/contest

One design I created for the oakleaf exercise/contest took me a bit beyond. I tried to show a leaf limply draped over a branch. It seemed as though I could show the immediate arch over the branch BUT, could not get back down or fade to somewhat flat surface.

Does anyone have any examples or tips on how fade an object like this that also has its own features. I would like to use this look in various places if I can learn to taper/fade within an object.

Leaf_bent1.jpg

Thanks,

Regis

post-463-1198105569_thumb.jpg

That's really a cool idea!! Never thought of that!

you can get the effect that you want by beveling the top and bottom deeper and really evenly(depth), do the cross over the way that you did with the modeler indenting the branch under the leaf, and beveling the leaf"over the branch" lighter than the top and bottom. This way the leaf looks thinner across tha branch the way it naturally would.

You might want to draw the leaf so that the main vein is a slight wave form. Start at the tip and curve the leaf to the right to go over the branch then to the left slightly finishing the bottom of the leaf to the right.

Kind of as "S" shape.Are you familiar with Escher's artwork with the pocket watches draped over tree branches?

Hope that this helps.. KEEP ME POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS!!!!!

PETE