UKRay

Designing A Motorcycle Tool Bag

I have just been asked to make a 'fork mounted' motorcycle tool bag but the guy doesn't really have a clue what he wants other than it has to be black... I've not made one before and I'm not sure what should go into the design to make it work properly and look good. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions please?

Ray

Ray here is a photo of a style that i have made.the main thing to consider is the width of the forks.

fork bags 001.jpg

post-1906-127479095299_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luke Hatley

sorry about the 1st photo. here is a clear one and also the backside.fork bags 002.jpg

post-1906-127479132415_thumb.jpg

Of course, "Search" is your best friend on LW. There are some fine examples here, but to design something new, I would think talking with the client about its usage, to be your best tool. There's no sense designing a bag to be 9" wide, when there's a wrench that is 10" long. Average would probably be 10/11" wide, a 12" bag just looks wrong on most bikes, to my eye. Some people never intend for the toolbag to hold tools, instead it may be used for personal items.

There are the traditional round gussetts, u-shaped, or the squared. Some are lined with braided edges, some, sewn, or riveted, carved, stamped, or plain. I've seen all sorts of things used as gussets, including the logo shields of some manufacturers.

Most bags are attached with straps on the back through slotted holes, and buckled inside the bag, positioned according to the fork spacing, or headlight position. Some have multiple slots positioned for horizontal, or vertical attachment, or multi-purposed to attach to sissy bar. Shock travel comes into play on some bikes. Having the bag bang on the front fender can ruin a paint job rather quickly. In some cases where positioning is hindered from headlights, etc., the bag is attached down below on the front of the frame under the voltage regulator

I'ld say a half pint of bitters, and a chat would be the best start, along with actually seeing the bike, and taking accurate measurements .

Good luck, I'm sure whatever you come up with will make the customer happy.

There was someone who posted a video on youtube a while back on making a bag. Hope you find this useful.

http://www.youtube.c...eos=WqQLia__yhc

Damon

Thats Ian's video. Good one

All very helpful. Many thanks guys.

One more question about style - round or square. I have seen tubes and boxes and both look good to me. Is this simply a fashion thing?

What do you prefer and why?

Ray

I think that all depends on personal preference and also the bike. If I was to make one for mine it would have to be round since the bike has alot of curves to it, a box like one would just not look good on it.

Ray get the guy to bring you the bike. Then you can make your pattern to fit. Don't let them measure because they can't read a rule and then their mad at you because it's to big or little. Been through that before. Their just like a bank when they say we don't make mistakes. So it has to be your fault. Good luck on your project.

Also ask the customer to bring in the tools he wants to put into the toolbag. If he's going to use it for tools. It's real embarrassing to build a beautiful bag only to have it way too big or too small for the stuff it's going to carry. I've also seen tool "rolls" built like these bags. Those have individual pockets for each tool carried, straps to secure the roll tightly and straps to attach to the bike. Those are real specialized though. You really need more info from your customer on what he needs/wants. Also ask him to bring in catalogs or pics of the style of bag he's looking for.

Dave T.