yan

Question To Shoe Maker

I just got a batch of 13/15 oz veg tan leather (should be thick enough for sole)

What could I use to ''seal'' the leather.

I was told by a friend never to use veg tan for shoes, it will not resist the sweat and weather.

I've seen a lot of nice pieces on this forum, so what are you guys use and how are your creation resist the test of time?

I just got a batch of 13/15 oz veg tan leather (should be thick enough for sole)

What could I use to ''seal'' the leather.

I was told by a friend never to use veg tan for shoes, it will not resist the sweat and weather.

I've seen a lot of nice pieces on this forum, so what are you guys use and how are your creation resist the test of time?

Yan the Veg tan leather you got can be used for soles......BuT it will weare out fast...

what you should have got was SOLE BENDS. THIS IS VERY THICK LEATHER THAT HAS BEEN COMPRESSED AN AWLFUL LOT...FOR USE AS SHOE SOLES.

NOW FOR THE UPPER , there has been made a lot of shoes made from veg tan leather.

they just wear out......

I don't know who told you that, but veg tanned leather makes just fine shoes. Heck, it's all they used for over a thousand years before chrome tanning was invented less than 150 years ago.

All the really high-end makers use vegetable tanned leather for insoles and soles and usually linings. Chrome tanned leather doesn't have the fibre structure or strength to make decent insoles and is way too spongy to make usable soling or heels.

12-13oz is not bad insole material, but unless it's a hard-rolled bend it isn't going to make great outsole because it'll be too soft. If you can roll it up and cut it with anything less than a bandsaw, it's probably too soft. Good hard-rolled soling is more like wood than leather in some ways.

If you're making turnshoes though, 13oz veg tan makes great soles :)

Well, tks for the advice, I think I am am a "impulsive buyer",

I went to tandy for a tool and a book on stitching and end up with a "russet saddle skirting" (also got the book and tool...)

I am making leather armor with a good part of it, but i am pretty sure there is enought for at least 1 or 2 pair of sandale or turnshoes (maybe one pair of each).

Is this material strong enought?

I was thinking of using old industrial tire of the outer sole

(sorry if my english is not quite perfect)