I've used Fieblings Edge Kote off and on for the last year or so and was never real impressed with it untill this morning. I had always applied it, let it dry (I thought) and hand buffed. Then, as if I just dyed it, I'd put on beeswax and buff lot more with buffing wheel. Well, yesterday I put Edge Kote on a holster and had to leave it until this morning. When I hand buffed, WOW, it shined so smooth. Apparently it takes a lot longer to dry, even when it feels dry to the touch. If I had not learned that I probably would never have bought another bottle once I emptied what I have. Now, I will.

Now, I'm wondering how many more products I may not be using right ....... so please post if you learn something like this.

Regis

Edited by Regis

Thanks for this post, Regis. I had been wondering about Edge Kote, too, the more I use it. Though I am looking into getting a rubberized edge finish from LCI, I still want to have options for edge finishing.

I'm currently using Edge Kote, but I've seen Edge Dye and Edge Enamel and have been wondering if maybe these might work just as well, or better than, Edge Kote. Now that I am burnishing everything with beeswax, perhaps I don't need the thicker consistency and flexibility of Edge Kote, which seems difficult to get in colors other than black and brown.

Ed

Hi there

I never did get to like Edge Kote much always trying to get things finished & start on the next project.

So made up my own using what ever color spirit based dye and a few drops of a hi-shine sealer then to get it to dry a little quicker add a little metholated spirits (touch dry in about 1 minute).

This can be buffed to a good sheen and if need be give it a second coat .

Works well when you have to handle small parts .

Cheers

Chris

For those wondering. Methylated Spirits is Denatured Alcohol on the other side of the pond.

Barra

Thanks, Barra, since I'm not fluent in Aussie, I was wonderin' what that was.

Yes thanks barra

Will remember that for future reference ;)

cheers

Chris

Edited by deadringer

How flexible is the Edge Kote edge? I'm looking for an edge finish method/product/etc. that will not crack or anything when the edge is bent. . . such as on a wallet edge at the fold.

What's a good procedure to get a really flexible, tough edge?

L'Bum

L'Bum,

I use EdgeKote on my wallets and have never had a problem. It's as flexible as the leather itself, and won't crack.

I'm sure everyone here has their own "special formula" for nice edges. Mine is as follows. First, I dry sand the edge with 320 grit sandpaper. Then, I wet the edge and run the sandpaper along it once more. Before the edge dries, I slick it with a cocobolo stick. Then, I apply a generous amount of EdgeKote. I very lightly slick again.

It's a fair amount of work (especially on a belt :) ), but it looks good when done.

Good luck! -Alex

Cheylor-Fenilli has an edging product that works great. I don't know what it's called because there are no words on the bottle. I always thought Aussies could read and write, but maybe not. :evillaugh: Any way, I got some from Keith Johnstone in Wickenburg. It comes in brown or black and it does not crack. Pretty nice stuff. Keith also sold me an applicator with a little wheel on it that puts the stuff on the edge prefectly. I'm sold!

Kathy

Edited by yaklady

How flexible is the Edge Kote edge? I'm looking for an edge finish method/product/etc. that will not crack or anything when the edge is bent. . . such as on a wallet edge at the fold.

What's a good procedure to get a really flexible, tough edge?

L'Bum

1. Sand the edge so that it's even.

2. wet edge and slick.

3. apply one coat of Edge Kote. Let dry 15 minutes. Apply second coat.

4. wait one hour, then rub edge with beeswax and burnish, though Regis had good results letting the Edge Kote sit overnight.

That said, I'm still waiting to hear from LCI about my color matching. If you don't want to wait until I get more information from LCI, you can try Zack White's Edge Ink, which to my best educated guess is the same as LCI's Manual Edge Ink. Also to my best educated guess, this Edge Ink is what many high-end bag makers use on their edges. According to my conversations with LCI, the only difference between their Edge Finish, for which I'm awaiting further information before ordering. and th Edge Ink is that the former is a matte finish, while the latter a semi-glossy or glossy finish.

Ed

What company is LCI ?

Cheylor-Fenilli has an edging product that works great. I don't know what it's called because there are no words on the bottle. I always thought Aussies could read and write, but maybe not. :evillaugh: Any way, I got some from Keith Johnstone in Wickenburg. It comes in brown or black and it does not crack. Pretty nice stuff. Keith also sold me an applicator with a little wheel on it that puts the stuff on the edge prefectly. I'm sold!Kathy
Kathy,Could you post pics of that applicator and the edging product?Thanks,ed
What company is LCI ?

http://www.leathercoatings.com/edge.htm

Anyone use Neutral Edge Kote. The price was right so I added some to a recent order. Thought it might come in handy. What would one use the neutral for? The neutral seems thinner than either the black or brown.

Also, the bottles read not to shake but to stir the contents. How would one ever stir the contents of a 32 oz bottle with the small opening. My guess is shake real well once and then pour some into some other usable container.

Ed

Anyone use Neutral Edge Kote. The price was right so I added some to a recent order. Thought it might come in handy. What would one use the neutral for? The neutral seems thinner than either the black or brown.

Also, the bottles read not to shake but to stir the contents. How would one ever stir the contents of a 32 oz bottle with the small opening. My guess is shake real well once and then pour some into some other usable container.

Ed

I think I like this neutral. If, for one reason or another, you can't get the edge you're looking for with gum trag, try two layers of this neutral, beeswax, and burnish. Very nice.

Ed

Thanks for this info, Ed. I didn't even know there was a neutral Edge Kote (Fiebing's right?). Where did you get it?

How flexible is the finished edge (without cracking)?

L'Bum

Thanks for this info, Ed. I didn't even know there was a neutral Edge Kote (Fiebing's right?). Where did you get it?

How flexible is the finished edge (without cracking)?

L'Bum

I've heard that some people do a top coat of resolene or somethng similar on edges. Can't speak with a hundred percent conviction but this neutral does seem pretty flexible.

Here is my new best friend:

http://sewwhatsupplies.com/cart/

Great service, great prices on many items, great shipping.

Ed

Sorry it took me so long, Ed. I was off in la la land. Here are the pictures you asked for.

Pictures_from_2007_432.jpg

Pictures_from_2007_433.jpg

post-1462-1209566296_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1209566425_thumb.jpg

I received my order of LCI edge coatings. Great stuff. ed

How flexible is the Edge Kote edge? I'm looking for an edge finish method/product/etc. that will not crack or anything when the edge is bent. . . such as on a wallet edge at the fold.What's a good procedure to get a really flexible, tough edge?L'Bum
I think LCI Edge coating will hold up very well under continuous flexing.Ed

I received my order of LCI edge coatings. Great stuff. edI think LCI Edge coating will hold up very well under continuous flexing.Ed

That sounds great, Ed. I wonder if there's any way to get LCI products in smaller quantities. . .

L'Bum

Thats what I am doing wrong, thanks for the post i will leave a longer drying time next time.