Big D

Help?!

Hello, everyone... I have been a tattoo artist for years, but recently changed careers (somewhat). I now work for a high end furniture company, and I have the opportunity to help my employer branch out a little. We would like to tattoo leather. Here lies my problem... I picked up some leather scraps and attempted to tattoo them, but there is residue tattoo ink outside my lines and unlike skin, I am not able to wipe it off without smearing tattoo ink all over the leather. I have seen some gorgeous tattooed leather furniture, but nobody is talking about how that is done. Am I using the wrong leather? Am I using the wrong ink? Is there a certain way that I should go about cleaning the leather as I tattoo? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am new to this, and would love for it to work!

Thank you!

Hello Big D,

I'm not a tattoo artist, but I have been interested in tattooing leather also. A while back, there were a few posts on this forum that showed some tattooed leather work, and I asked questions then, in hopes of maybe buying a cheap tattoo machine (for leather only). I wasn't able to gather enough information on the techniques used, so my attention moved on to other projects.

Having worked with leather and leather dye, but never using any tattoo ink, I can only guess that the results of ink against bare leather would be similar. I wonder if you were to seal the surface of the leather with a water repellent sealer before tattooing, would that prevent the ink that pools on top of the skin during the tattoo process from staining the surface?

I would suggest that you try a series of experiments using sealed and unsealed veg tan and chrome tan leathers, different sealers (maybe even liquid latex). I would try the veg tan leather dry, oiled, lightly damp with water, and soaking wet.

I hope you find the right technique, and I hope you're willing to share the results of any experiments.

ken

I've been tattooing for a long time and have recently started playing around with tattooing leather.

Giving the leather a couple coats of clear lac before tattooing it seems to be the trick. Everything wipes off just fine. I even used a regular thermal fax stencil.

This would require that all tooling/dying be done before, so applying the tattoo is the last step, then another coat of clear-lac over the tattoo.

I use tattoo ink and green soap, just like on skin.

Thank you, Ken...

I will give it a shot. Any advice will help, as I am new to the whole leather thing.

Awesome! Thank you so much! I will definitely try this! I have seen some beautifully tattooed furniture, but nobody is talking about the process. I will try your process and then I will post the outcome here for everyone to see! I was feeling a little dejected about the whole thing, but now I am excited again!!! Thank you!!!

I thought you would have to tattoo the skin before it's made into leather so the skin can close up to retain the ink. In my thinking putting a lot of punctures in leather would leave wider holes that can't keep ink in. Manji, have you got any photos of some experiments you've done? It would be good to see the outcome of it. It's a great idea.

In the research that I have done, I ran into a couple beautiful pieces! If you Google Tattooed furniture, you can look at a chair that is gorgeous! I don't have any problem getting the ink into the leather, just cleaning up the excess. I will post pics when I get a finished piece!

I'll take some pics and post them... i haven't done much more than experimenting on scraps, I am getting ready to start a project which I will incorperate tattooing.

This guy makes seats, the tattoo work is mediocre, but shows that it can be done Electric Solos

One thing I have figured out, black and grey works way better than color. The colors just don't look right, even on stuff I have seen well done. I'm going to stick with black and grey for now.

Mended Bowl and I were quite into the tattoo thing a few months ago but like him I found it difficult to get the info I did post a few links here though http://leatherworker...wtopic=29327 which might be of some help I believe a couple of them have a few more samples since then. From my research the furniture by Polka is tattooed but some of the other furniture is actually lasered and has the coloured ink rubbed in afterwards.

Cheers,

Clair

Edited by cem

Thank you! I would say that is just about exactly what I needed to see! We are going to try leather messenger bags... maybe chairs as well. I would say that the work on the site you refer to is not really mediocre, but a certain style... Sailor Jerry-ish. I am not really all that fond of that style either, but I am more interested in the art and the process. If it can be done, I will do it!!! Thank you, again!

Daniel

I'll take some pics and post them... i haven't done much more than experimenting on scraps, I am getting ready to start a project which I will incorperate tattooing.

This guy makes seats, the tattoo work is mediocre, but shows that it can be done Electric Solos

One thing I have figured out, black and grey works way better than color. The colors just don't look right, even on stuff I have seen well done. I'm going to stick with black and grey for now.

Please post some pics of your tattooed leather. I've been thinking of doing this also but have been afraid of messing up my equipment and wouldn't want to use the same equipment that I tattoo people with on leather afterwards.

But, I am still interested and might buy more equipment just for this. The detailed tattoo style art I want to do I'm finding difficult to carve and stain properly.

Thanks, let us know how it goes.

Here is a pic of what I just did on leather. I did tats for a short time about 18 years ago. Didnt have much patience then so kinda gave up on it (didnt want to practice)but kept the equipment. I want to get back into it but was looking for a practice medium besides my own skin(thats how I practiced before.. many regrets). Some practice on pig skin, mostly in england, but I have not been able to locate any so I thought id give this a try. The tat work itself sucks(first in 18 years),but ill get the hang of it, as i plan to do some work daily. I post more pics as I progress. This was done on veg tanned leather with just a couple coats of resolene brushed on. The resolene eventually wears as u wipe but i kept it well coated in vaseline to prevent staining. Im sure it dulls the needles but not so much u couldnt do a couple pieces with the same ones. So as manji stated...yes it can be done. Hope this helps u out.

leathertat1.jpg

That's AWESOME!

It's easy to tattoo leather, just like skin don't skip any steps.Why you'd want to, I have no idea.

Edited by Reaves Leather